The Destruction Troops (破壊兵団 Hakai heidan?) are a group that appears in the Sonic Boom series. They are an army of one-eyed robot warrior drones, created by Lyric the Last Ancient to serve as his basic foot soldiers and personal army.
Destruction Troops consist of various robot designs, often intended for various situations. Some are humanoid while others possess simpler or more monstrous forms. Most of them, however, share a common design feature: a single eye, which is the distinguishing feature of almost every Destruction Troop model. Destruction Troop armors also come in various, often dark, colors, such as brown, gold, or red, or similar shades. A few models are bright white however. The highlights that cover the Destruction Troops are also a characteristic trademark of them, and can be either cyan, yellow, or green.
Lacking in any form of automony, the Destruction Troops are soulless machines programmed to obey Lyric's every command. With but a press of the button on his chest armor, Lyric can control the Destruction Troops through will alone, making them almost extensions of Lyric himself. Because they have no free will, the Destruction Troops can be reprogrammed by others to serve them too, although Lyric can still override any control over them at any given time with his armor's device.
In addition to being extremely hardy, capable of remaining dormant for millennia without breaking down, they are made with such advanced technology that even Dr. Eggman had a hard time understanding their workings.
Powers and abilities
Designed as warriors, the Destruction Troops are built for combat. However, the skillset of Destruction Troops are varied and depends on their model. Some can use various types of weapons, such as swords, shields, and energy blast launchers. Others may possess great physical durability and strength, sometimes combined with element-based weaponry. Some models are also capable of flight while others can surround themselves in force-fields that make them invulnerable to harm. There are also models designed for naval warfare.
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
The Destruction Troops were created by Lyric the Last Ancient over one thousand years ago. Using a device in his armor, Lyric could control them all with a push of a button, and used them to assist him in his schemes to destroy all life on earth with his Sentinels. In the case that he was imprisoned before he could succeed, Lyric left behind his Destruction Troops for others to find, predicting that those finding them would free him to get their secrets. When Lyric did get imprisoned, his Destruction Troops were shut down.
In Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, the Destruction Troops were discovered by Dr. Eggman who figured out how to control them after a long time. Marveled at their technology, Eggman set out to free Lyric and get his secrets to become more powerful, and placed Metal Sonic in command of the Destruction Troops. Using his Destruction Troops, Eggman pushed Team Sonic into Lyric's Tomb where they released Lyric, who retook control of a proportion of the dormant Destruction Troops to resume his plans. While multiple fractions of the Destruction Troops harassed Team Sonic, Eggman confronted Lyric and threatened him to hand over his secrets with his own Destruction Troops, but Lyric retook control of those too, thus giving him full dominion over his forces once more.
The Destruction Troops continued their advances, constantly attacking Team Sonic in their quest to stop Lyric while threatening to invade Bygone Island. When Lyric was defeated, he lost his means of controlling the Destruction Troops, which would later be picked up by Dr. Eggman. The Destruction Troops themselves were all scrapped during the following celebration of the heroes' victory.
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal
The Destruction Troops were created over five thousand years ago by Lyric the Last Ancient from the Robot Facility who used them to launch an attack on his fellow Ancients and seize the Lost Crystal of Power. While the Destruction Troops and Lyric's advances seemed unstoppable, the Ancients stopped Lyric by imprisoning him, while his Destruction Troops were shut down.
In Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal, Lyric recovered his Destruction Troops after he was freed and used them to seek out the hidden Crystal Shards of the Lost Crystal. When Team Sonic mobilized to save Amy from Lyric, the Destruction Troops tried stopping them, but failed. When their commander Lyric later got defeated by the heroes, the Destruction Troops were rendered moot.
- The Destruction Troops are largely (and inconsistently) unnamed in Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. However, there is a biography of all the models in the game's source code which was cut from Q-N-C's Database.
- Sonic Toon (Japanese). Multiplayer. Sega. Archived from the original on 20 April 2016.
- SONIC BOOM. Characters: Lyric the Last Ancient. Archived from the original on 23 March 2016. Retrieved on 25 July 2014. "As seen in the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games, Lyric is the last of his kind from an ancient civilization who lived a millennium ago. His race was devoted to peacefully controlling the world’s resources. Driven mad by power, Lyric turned on his fellow Ancients and took control of the resources. Building an army of robots programmed to obey his every command, the deadly snake-like villain set out to destroy everything organic and create a world of twisted metal and robots. However, just before he could successfully take over, he was attacked by the last surviving Ancients and imprisoned forever. With his army shut down and his plans ruined, he waited in prison plotting his revenge. Years passed and Lyric began to give up hope. That is, until Sonic comes across him. Now with his army rebooted, and his plans in place, the only thing stopping Lyric from total victory is Sonic and his friends."
- Big Red Button Entertainment (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Wii U. Sega. Area/level: Abandoned Research Facility. "Dr. Eggman: Eggman. Dr. Eggman. But you can call me Dr. 'the guy who set you free so you can give me the secrets of your technology so I can be even more powerful than I already...' you know what? Just call me 'boss.' / Lyric: Who do you think made these robots and left them for you to find, you pathetic waste of carbon!"
- Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved on 6 March 2015.