Sonic & Knuckles
Death Egg Zone is set within Dr. Robotnik's massive space station itself, though its interior has undergone a notable redesign compared to its previous appearance in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Act 1 takes place inside the ship, while Act 2 takes place outside the ship, with a view of the earth from space.
Having successfully relaunched the Death Egg from the Floating Island with the aid of the Master Emerald that he stole from Knuckles in Hidden Palace Zone, Dr. Robotnik continues into space with his space station. However, Sonic and Tails has managed to leap onto the rising Death Egg from a tall pillar in the Sky Sanctuary Zone. From there, Sonic battles his way through a horrendous Zone full various dangerous contraptions and some very mean Badniks. After defeating a number of Robotnik's more dangerous robots, the last one being the Death Ball, Robotnik tries fleeing from Sonic, leading Sonic into the final fight against the Giant Eggman Robo, a mecha robot powered by the Master Emerald. In the end, Sonic destroys the Giant Eggman Robo, and the gargantuan robot falls for good as the Death Egg begins falling apart due to its collapse. Robotnik then flees from the scene in his Egg Mobile with the Master Emerald, but is quickly stopped by a few hits from Sonic. The Death Egg then completely crumbles, removing Sonic's foothold. From here, the subsequent story events will depend on the player's progress and the playable character:
- If Sonic has obtained all of the Chaos Emeralds, he will progress to The Doomsday Zone after the Death Egg's destruction.
- If Tails has obtained all of the Chaos Emeralds, he will reclaim the Master Emerald and descend back down to earth with Sonic on the Tornado to catch both of them and return the sacred gem back to the Floating Island.
- If Sonic or Tails has not obtained all of the Chaos Emeralds, the Master Emerald will remain in space and the Floating Island will remain in the ocean, but now free from Robotnik's control. In the post-credits scene, Robotnik is shown to have the Master Emerald in his possession.
Death Egg Zone is full of various obstacles and gimmicks, such as rocket launchers, anti-gravity chambers, electrical hazards, and Ring Shooters.
The boss of Death Egg Zone Act 1 is the Red Eye. The player must damage the Red Eye while minding the spheres orbiting around it. Each time the Red Eye is hit, one of the spheres will explode into several arrows. After all of the spheres are gone, the Red Eye will break out of its casing and will follow the player themselves with two platforms orbiting around it. If the Red Eye is hit, it will attempt to fire a laser while following the player and spinning its platforms rapidly.
The first boss of Death Egg Zone Act 2 is the Death Ball, a robot resembling a miniature Death Egg with a yellow Bumper shield that will constantly repel the player's attacks and will periodically drop tanks. The player can only damage the Death Ball by using the gravity switching devices at the right time such that gravity inverts the tanks to land on the Death Ball spike first. If the gravity is inverted, the tanks spawned by the Death Ball will be stuck on the ceiling. If the Spin Dash is used on the stuck tanks, they will be flipped over which can also damage the Death Ball.
Giant Eggman Robo
After defeating the Death Ball, the player proceeds to face a giant mech named Giant Eggman Robo. The Giant Eggman Robo attempts to squish Sonic with its three-fingered hands, of which each finger can be destroyed with three hits. After destroying the robot's hands, the mech stomps after Sonic, shooting flames from its nose. A quick hit on its nose tempts Robotnik to open the robot's large chest, where the Master Emerald can be seen. This huge compartment also contains a weapon powered by the emerald: a focusing lens which uses the Emerald's power to shoot a laser beam at Sonic. Although dangerous, this cannon is the only weak point on the entire robot.
- The music played during the Giant Eggman Robo boss fight is the exact same music played during the Big Arm boss fight in Sonic the Hedgehog 3.
- Through Act select, Knuckles can enter Death Egg Zone (either directly or by completing Sonic/Tails' version of Sky Sanctuary Zone), but he is not able to complete Act 1 on account of his inability to jump high enough to attack the Red Eye. However, he is still able to complete Act 2, and should the player finish the Act as Knuckles, the game will send the player back to the Title Screen without playing a cutscene.
- In the Sound Test/Act select, it is spelled without a space in the name, reading "DEATHEGG".
- Aerobase Zone Act 1 in Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure reuses the music from Death Egg Zone Act 2.
|N/A (Death Egg Zone Act 2 theme)||1:42|