Dark Sonic, also referred to as Dark Super Sonic, is a dark super transformation achieved by Sonic the Hedgehog in the anime series Sonic X. The multitude of fake Chaos Emeralds and Sonic's intense anger allowed him to achieve this transformation.
Dark Sonic seems to have two forms. During his mid-transformation, he still resembles Sonic, but his fur is a dark blue color and his body emits a dark blue aura. In the final phase of his transformation however, he looks similar to Super Sonic, and his back quills are longer. He still retains the dark blue aura around him, but his eyes have no pupils or irises, the mouth disappears, his fur is black and his skin is a dark gray color.
When Sonic first crashes into the Metarex's base, after seeing how many fake emeralds there are, he feels uneasy. These comments are prompted by the negative energy Sonic can feel from the fake emeralds. It is this dark chaos energy that incredibly intensifies Sonic's rage at seeing an unconscious Chris and a terrified Cosmo trapped, that causes him to turn into Dark Sonic in his mid-transformation form.
Black Narcissus then dispatches two robots, Gold and Silver, that he designed to test Sonic's strength and speed. Dark Sonic seems to take a murderous pleasure in doing so, indicated by his mad cackling and evil grin beforehand, and quickly tears them apart as he is now in his full transformation form. Just then, Doctor Eggman turns up and declares he has never seen Sonic so worked up before. Eggman says he does not want to see Sonic act out of anger and rage and that it is not good for him as Sonic powers down to his normal self.
Dark Sonic seems to relish the prospect of murdering the two prototype Metarex, as shown by his demonic grin and mad cackle. In this form, Sonic's rage is out of control and he has even gained the intention to kill. However, he can still control his actions to an extent, as this form is rooted in the darker aspects of Sonic's natural instincts, including the desire to live, trample and impose over opposition, and on a metaphysical level, the natural occurrence and manifestation of loss, decline, destruction and death.
Powers and abilities
As Dark Sonic, Sonic demonstrates light-speed movements, fast enough to tear through a robot multiple times within a second simply by dashing through it, while not even being visible. He also possesses very high physical strength, enough to make dents in metal, cave in a robot's face with one punch, and tear a robot vertically in half with one swift strike.
- This transformation was initially not given an official name. It was most commonly called "Dark Sonic", which may have inspired its official designation. The designation of "Dark Super Sonic" has also been used.
- When Dark Sonic shows his face for the first time, music that sounds like the Sonic X theme for Shadow the Hedgehog plays shortly before Dark Sonic takes off into battle.
- Despite only appearing in one episode, Dark Sonic is one of the most popular characters in the series, being included in fanart, fan movies, fanfiction, etc. Fans have asked about the possibility of his inclusion in the Archie Comics, but Ian Flynn has stated that he does not consider Dark Sonic a true transformation.
- "Heh... alright then. Let's test 'em out!"
- —Dark Sonic, "Teasing Time"
- Sonic the Hedgehog on Twitter. Twitter (22 March 2016). Archived from the original on 31 May 2020. "Madness Meter: You're as mad as: Dark Sonic - Even Eggman says you have no chill."
- TMS Entertainment on Twitter. Twitter (29 February 2020). Archived from the original on 29 February 2020.
- Urasawa, Yoshio (11 February 2006). "Teasing Time". Sonic X. Season 3. Episode 67.