Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Crisis City (クライシスシティ Kuraishisu Shiti?) is an Action Stage in Sonic the Hedgehog which is a dystopian version of Soleanna New City from at least 200 years in the future. It was destroyed by a monster named Iblis, and all that is left are ruins of buildings and streets. The only known living people there are Silver the Hedgehog and Blaze the Cat, although there has been mention of others by Silver. Judging by what Silver says, it seems that the other inhabitants of the future seem to have evolved psychic powers similar to Silver's to survive, but none are seen to confirm this. Other inhabitants are monsters spawned from Iblis.
After he infiltrates Dr. Eggman’s base, Sonic sacriﬁces his Chaos Emerald to the madman in exchange for Elise’s safety per Eggman's earlier ultimatum. Unfortunately, this turns out to be a trap. Dr. Eggman has a time machine he calls the "Solaris prototype" that catapults Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles into the future, giving them a taste of Silver’s ruined fate. The sight of the infernal, burning metropolis before them comes as a shock to Sonic, but he doesn’t have much time to sit and stare at the handiwork of the Iblis Trigger, as the minions of Iblis close in on this hedgehog intruder from the past. Sonic must sprint, grind, and glide through wave after wave of ﬁery monsters if he wants to reconnect with Tails and Knuckles. Perhaps together, they can ﬁnd a way back to their own time before they become permanent ﬁxtures in this terrible apocalypse.
As Sonic the Hedgehog, the player starts off using a board to get through the first section of the stage, evading Iblis's Minions, falling debris, and erupting pillars of flame through the glass facades of knocked over buildings while traveling through the area. Sonic then runs through the ruined city, defeating enemies and navigating through broken skyscrapers. Upon reaching the end of this segment, the player continues to a section high in the air, where they must jump across a large amount of floating debris. Sonic then drops down into a Super-Speed section, where he must run down a long stretch of highway while avoiding the many broken cars, Containers, and other objects that are in his path (some of which are thrown at him from behind by the tornado, sending shrapnel from the cars flying in all directions, such as car doors and tires). Eventually, Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles locate a database stating the destruction of the Egg Carrier and Elise's death back in the present. The team meets up with Shadow and Rouge, who have found a Chaos Emerald already, and travel to Flame Core to find a second one for Sonic and Shadow to use so Team Sonic can return to present day Soleanna to try and prevent Elise's impending death.
Vaulted into Silver’s terrible future, Shadow the Hedgehog must somehow navigate the charred metropolis. Crumbling buildings and twisted infrastructure provide Iblis’s gigantic army with many attack positions, but Shadow can make use of the fractured highways and exposed steel rebar to skate past danger. The ﬁght for the future leads to the top of skyscrapers, and unlike Silver, who can use his psychic talents to levitate in the air, Shadow must be mindful of gravity, or else he will plummet straight down into the inferno raging below.
As Shadow the Hedgehog, the player starts off in an optional armored buggy in a similar section to the beginning of Sonic's level. After this, Shadow grinds and runs through the level, eventually encountering an air glider which Shadow uses to fly through the debris of the city. After locating the green Chaos Emerald and finding an inoperable Omega, the player proceeds to Flame Core.
As Silver the Hedgehog, the player begins by navigating through the destroyed city, fending off the many creatures of Iblis. Blaze the Cat is used to attack the monsters and pursue Iblis along with Silver, and is playable through a portion of the stage. After the level ends, Silver and Blaze proceed to fight Iblis.
This is the first level in Silver's Story.
Silver Medal locations
- During the first of the snowboarding section, the player must jump up from the second ramp to ride a rail. The first Silver Medal can be found at the end of the rail.
- As the player continues, if they miss the rail that leads to a higher road suspended in the air, Sonic will go to the skyscraper. The player must look for the second Silver medal in the center of this skyscraper, hidden behind an Iblis Worm.
- After the snowboarding section, once the rail to the player's left disappears, they must jump off to the rail straight ahead to find the Silver medal at the very end of it.
- After the third medal, the player should keep running along the building until landing on a green awning with a Spring that bounces the player around the buildings. They will collect the fourth Silver medal while rocketing through the air.
- Along the way after the player unlocks the Spring from the Case. The Dash Panel rockets the player through a trail of Rings and toward a section of twisted freeway. They will land on a rail, picking up a Silver medal just as they touch down.
- After the second point marker, once the player reaches the roof of the tall building, they must use a Homing Attack on the Iblis Worm, then jump up to grab the Silver Medal in the air just before landing on the spring.
- After the third point marker (section 3), the seventh medal waits between two cargo containers on the left side of the course, near the ﬂying yellow taxi.
- After the fourth point marker (section 3), the player can ﬁnd another Silver medal hanging in the air by a tall piece of building debris. They should look to the left, then jump across the ﬁre birds and leap onto the debris. After positioning themselves so that they will land on the concrete ledge below, the player can jump out into the air and grab the medal.
- In the fourth section, the ninth medal is behind a giant wall of wooden crates.
- After seeing two Golems on the way, the final Silver medal is located just beyond the 1-Up capsule that waits past the two brutes, hanging behind the four crates perfectly stacked on the freeway’s right side. As the player gets close, the winds lift up the crates and reveal the medal's location.
- Once the player jumps off a bottomless pit to another dais, they must get out of the Buggy and look for the exposed rail sticking out of the building on the right side of the mangled freeway. The player must jump through the Ring capsule and skate the line through the building interior, where they will pick up several Rings and the first Silver Medal.
- The second medal is located above the rails before the path of the first section splits in two.
- The third medal is the trickiest one. Once the player charges toward the rails network in the second section, they must jump off the rail they ride just after seeing the first two Iblis Takers and move the control stick to the right while doing so, until they are high above the rail that leads to a Rainbow Ring. The player will end up above the Silver Medal, and must control their fall with launching Chaos Spears rapidly to descend till the player grabs it and fall safely.
- The player must grind on the rail that leads to the Rainbow Ring, then hop into it to get the fourth medal.
- After the second point marker, it can be clearly seen in front of a spiraling rail.
- In the Glider section, the player must look for the sixth Silver medal toward the center of the route, just after they pass through the two sections of street debris that collide into each other.
- In the third point marker during the fourth section, the player must turn back around and look for a Spring on a small piece of ruined freeway, jump up, and use a Homing Attack to reach it. The Spring vaults the player into the air, straight into the seventh Silver Medal.
- After the seventh medal, the player should keep going straight ahead until the edge of the abyss, then turn to the left to see it.
- After the fourth point marker, the player must reach the front of the rail that twists around the fire tornado, then jump to the left and use Homing Attack on an enemy to get to the ninth Silver Medal.
- The final medal is located to the right of the sixth point marker behind a wall.
- The player can pick up the first Silver Medal tucked behind the water tower before crossing the first makeshift bridge they create with psychokinesis.
- After the third point marker, the second medal is located next to the first pipe to the right, behind the platform with the five Ring Item box on it.
- After reaching the second PK mark, the player will notice a skyscraper within their view. They must Levitate to it then use Psychokinesis on a moveable Container to reach it high on the other side of the roof.
- After the sixth point marker and after using another PK mark, the player must step out on the pipe, then use Levitation to grab the Silver medal.
- In Blaze's section, it is located near the first Spring inside a Case.
- The player must use the spring mentioned above to jump off toward a rail, then jump again just as they are near the Spring at the corner of the two girders. The player must land on the Spring to pick up the sixth Silver Medal hanging in the air above the scene.
- In the first point marker of the third section, the seventh medal is inside the wooden crates on the left side of the street. The player must use Psychokinesis to lift the crates and expose the medal.
- Not so far ahead of the previous medal, the player will see an Iblis Worm on a green awning to the left and a Silver Medal hanging in the air. To get the medal, the player must jump off the explosive crate next to the worm and Levitate through the air.
- Near the eighth medal, it is located on a small platform to the right from the second checkpoint of this section.
- After flying to the skyscraper, the player will see the tenth medal on a platform to the right on the side of the building.
While Crisis City's origins are not explained, it is presumed that the city was destroyed in the release of Iblis in an alternate timeline with the death of Princess Elise, caused by the Iblis Trigger. The city is in ruins, and mostly on fire due to Iblis' never-ending destructive flames, although a large number of buildings are still standing (albeit heavily damaged). The ground was destroyed, and a sea of molten lava covers nearly all of its remains. The reason for this could be that the lava had risen from underground. Iblis rises from it as his body is composed of magma.
In one of the several alternate timelines of Sonic the Hedgehog, Princess Elise was captured by Dr. Eggman to obtain the power of Iblis, but in the process, the aircraft the two were in lost power and crashed, killing them both and presumably releasing Iblis (although it is possible that the Iblis Trigger caused the release of Iblis, due to Sonic attempting to rescue her).
Following Iblis' release, the world was thrown into an apocalyptic state, with Iblis destroying most of it (including Crisis City). Mankind blamed Shadow the Hedgehog for the destruction and imprisoned him with assistance from E-123 Omega, who later shut down and went into emergency stasis. Silver, determined to discover who or what caused the world's destruction and Iblis' release in order to stop it, is visited by Mephiles the Dark who informs him and Blaze that it was Sonic who released Iblis and is the Iblis Trigger. He then proceeds to send the two into the past to stop Sonic, but Mephiles himself is, in fact, the Iblis Trigger.
At the same time that Silver and Blaze meet Mephiles, Sonic, Miles "Tails" Prower and Knuckles the Echidna arrive in the city, along with Shadow and Rouge the Bat who meet up and then separate to search for the Chaos Emeralds in order to return to the past using Chaos Control. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles witness the talk between Silver, Blaze, and Mephiles and access an old computer, revealing Elise's death and Iblis' release, prompting them to return to the past. Shadow sends them and Rouge back to the past before facing Mephiles, who revealed what happened to the Ultimate Life-form. Omega is sent in by Rouge to help Shadow defeat Mephiles and return to the past (Sonic's time).
Later, Shadow, Rouge, and Omega fought Mephiles for good in their timeline, defeating him and reducing him to a liquid state. Silver and Blaze return to Crisis City and battle Iblis. Iblis is defeated, and Blaze becomes Iblis' new host, seemingly sacrificing herself to bring peace and sunlight to Crisis City, extinguishing Iblis' flames.
As of the reboot that happened at the end of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Crisis City returned to normal.
- Like Station Square, this stage's locations are based on New York City. In some areas of Crisis City, there are ruined road signs with directions to Central Park on them, and buildings matching those in Soleanna New City, alluding to Crisis City being a dystopian version of it.
- In Silver's stage, a few signs have faded writing with the writing "Chao Garden" on them, referencing the Chao Gardens seen in previous titles.
- In Sonic's stage, when jumping on debris in the third section, if looking closely, one can see a Chao in Space 3 billboard.
- This is the only level where the enhanced versions of Iblis's Minions do not appear alongside the regular variety.
- There are some unused quotes said by both Sonic and Shadow in the game data, which states that Sonic/Shadow gets sucked into the tornado, and both of them nearly thank each other for helping. This implies that this Action Stage was going to have both Sonic and Shadow playable in its sections.
- Strangely, before the player proceeds to the second section of Shadow's version, there is a huge loop where the player will home directly to the ground when using the Homing Attack just before the loop begins as if there was a target there.
- This is the only one of Sonic's high speed levels that do not involve him rescuing Elise.
|Crisis City ~The Flame ~ Skyscraper ~ Whirlwind ~ Tornado ~||Tomoya Ohtani||6:50|
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Official Game Guide, pg. 236
- Flynn, Ian; Sega (8 December 2021). "Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)". Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia. Dark Horse Books. p. 164. ISBN 978-1506719276. "Crisis City - The flame-gutted ruins of New City in the far future. Flee the flaming tornado that is actively attacking you."
- Silver Medal Location Guide by Agnix
- Sonic the Hedgehog Prima official guide