Cream the Rabbit (クリーム・ザ・ラビット Kurīmu za Rabitto?) is a fictional character from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. She is an anthropomorphic rabbit and the daughter of Vanilla the Rabbit. She is a friend of the Chao, especially to her dear Chao friend Cheese, who she takes with her everywhere. Originally living an idyllic life with her family, Cream had a chance encounter with Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends when the evil Dr. Eggman entered her world, and soon began joining them on their adventures. She is able to achieve flight by flapping her large ears.
Cream is very polite, well-mannered and pure, though she can be childish and naïve. She is full of curiosity and tries her best in everything she does. Though young, she is not afraid to stand up for herself and will always be there to help out her friends. Just as Tails is the sidekick of Sonic, Cream serves the same purpose for Amy Rose and Blaze the Cat.
- 1 Concept and creation
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Personality
- 4 Powers and abilities
- 5 Relationships
- 6 References
Concept and creation
Like Sonic and Silver, Cream had several early concepts as different kinds of animals. They appear to include a squirrel, cat, and red panda. It is likely that some aspects of these designs were reused for later characters like Marine the Raccoon and Sticks the Badger. Cream's name is a pun of the foods "vanilla cream" and "cream cheese" which underlines her relationships with Cheese and Vanilla the Rabbit.
Sonic Team created Cream specifically for Sonic Heroes in order to fill out the role as the Fly Type character for Team Rose. However, the team decided to introduce Cream prior in Sonic Advance 2 to make her more familiar with players and make Sonic Advance 2 feel fresher in comparison to Sonic Advance.
According to Sega, Cream was designed as a playable character for beginner players. As her offensive maneuver, Cream was given the Chao Attack since it would damage her image as a sweet girl if she would attack enemies herself.
Cream is a small, anthropomorphic rabbit with cream fur and brown eyes. She has princeton orange markings around her eyes, on her head and at the ends of her ears. She also has one long eyelash on each eye, and a short, fluffy tail that sticks out of her dress, though it is not always visible. For attire, she wears a simple sleeveless vermilion dress with a white collar and light blue cravat, white gloves with a golden cufflink on each cuff, white socks, and vermilion and yellow slip-on shoes. Her ears are usually swiveled back and flop behind her head.
For the purpose of Extreme Gear racing, Cream wears an orange tank top with a yellow star in the center and a white stripe almost at the end, orange athletic shorts with a white stripe on each side, white gloves with a dark gray band around each wrist, a transparent yellow visor with an orange strip, and orange and yellow shoes with a light gray band around each ankle, yellow and white straps and gray soles.
Because of her mother's teachings in the importance of manners, Cream is a princess-like figure; she is very polite, graceful and well-behaved. She is similarly well-spoken (often referring to people as "Mr." and "Miss", followed by their first name) and does what she is told. With her politeness being like second-nature to her, Cream acts out her teachings with a cheerful smile on her face and a soft voice. Regardless of the situation and being used to getting what she wants, Cream never forgets her manners, even showing respect and offering a polite curtsy to her enemies, like Eggman, before attacking them with extreme prejudice.
Sweet-natured, Cream does not have a bad bone in her body. As such, she is honest, innocent and has a generally happy attitude. She is similarly very considerate, charitable and friendly, always eager to lend her friends a hand whenever the situation calls for it and tries to be close to everyone she meets. For this reason, she is loved by everybody. Cream is likewise extraordinarily brave, courageous and noble for someone her age, not afraid to face danger for the sake of those she cares about. She is likewise full of curiosity and has a thirst for knowledge. She is also not afraid to voice her anger and disgust, but never does so in a rude way.
A spirited go-getter, Cream is very hardworking and always tries her best in everything she does. Because of her curiosity, Cream loves fun and adventures and is always eager to bravely charge off into the next one. However, she can also be somewhat rash, as she has been known to charge into adventures without really taking into account the dangers she can end up facing on her own, thus leaving her in situations beyond her capabilities. Because of her age and upbringing though, she is a little naïve and simple-minded at times. As such, she does not always see things right away and can accidentally speak out others' flaws or get herself in over her head when wrapped up in other people's problems. Despite this, she has grounded personality that helps her being the all-important restraint for her team. She can also be sensitive and childish, being prone to start crying over smaller things, misfortune or sadness in general. She also tends to scoff and pout childishly when people treat her like a little kid, especially when it is because she cannot go on an adventure.
Cream is one who enjoys the simpler things in life and loves spending most of her time outdoors playing with her friends or collecting flowers. Indoors, she enjoys watching TV.
Cream loves being happy and seeing others the same way, and hates seeing others sad. As such, she is a pacifist and detests violence. Even when beaten back by Chaos Gamma, Cream refused to fight back. However, she is willing to fight, but only to protect her friends if their safety is threatened, and there is no telling what she would do in such cases. That said, she would much rather spend her time picking flowers and eating ice cream.
Powers and abilities
On her own, Cream has demonstrated very little physical prowess and relies more on her friends in tense situations. However, she has been taught some combat skills, as seen during the Emerl incident, in order to help her friends. Also, with her faithful Chao companion Cheese at her command, Cream is a very capable individual in a fight, with the two of them having been able to defeat Dr. Eggman's various combat mechs on their own during their first adventure with Sonic. Also, if motivated or pushed, Cream can fight exceptionally better, as seen when she was able to defeat the Emerald Shard-empowered Chaos Gamma while she was stuck in the Gimme Shelter and had to defend Emerl. Emerl himself has also noted that Cream is not as weak as she appears to be.
Cream's trademark skill is her ability to achieve flight by flapping her two large ears as wings, allowing her to move freely through midair. While in flight, Cream can fly long distances and move around at super speeds, and knows how to keep up with even Sonic while in flight.
Like many of her friends, Cream can run at super speed, and is said to be nearly as fast as Sonic. While she still cannot match Sonic's speed, she knows how to catch up with quick-footed people like him using shortcuts. When running, Cream uses a unique hopping running style that makes it difficult for her opponents to track her. Despite her age, Cream is also quite strong; during the Neo Metal Sonic incident, she was able to carry her team through the air on her own. She is also rather durable, having survived going through atmospheric reentry and then land on the ground unharmed. In addition, while not being as great an expert in the field as her friends, Cream is also shown to have great reflexes and acrobatic skills, enough to let her do unique tricks and movements while in mid-air, pull off various Spin Attack maneuvers at high speed, and grind on Grind Rails with ease.
Cream is also able to perform the Spin Attack, a technique where she curls into a concussive ball or cutting disk and directs herself at her targets. With it, Cream can shred or burrow through just about any substance given enough speed. Adept in its usage, Cream can utilize several variants of the Spin Attack for both ground- and aerial maneuvers, including the Spin Dash, Spin Jump, and Homing Attack.
When not using her Spin Attack-based maneuvers, Cream fights by working in collaboration with Cheese, commanding the Chao to attack the opponent for her in various ways. Their most basic collaboration attack is the Chao Attack, a technique where Cream commands Cheese to charge into her target. This allows her to attack from long distances almost instantly. Over time, Cream has utilized numerous variations of the Chao Attack using Cheese. These include arch, winder and salom combos using Cheese, centrifugal Chao spins to blow opponents away, Jump Attacks, various spinning attacks where Cheese circles around Cream to shield her from damage, full-charge bodyslams with Cheese, miniature twisters stirred up by Cheese, or even guards with Cheese that protect Cream from damage. Other manuevers include the Chao Ball Attack where Cheese spins into a target and the Chao Spinning Attack where Cheese somersaults into a target.
As displayed during the second World Grand Prix, Cream is a talented Extreme Gear rider. During said event, she proved herself able to hold her own against some of the best Extreme Gear riders the world has to offer. While riding on an Extreme Gear, Cream can pull off highly advanced tricks and techniques with her Extreme Gear while moving through midair at incredible speeds. She is also able to ride her Extreme Gear through mid-air with great skill.
As an offspring of her good-hearted nature, Cream is able to heal herself using only the pureness of her heart.
By harnessing different variants of Hyper-go-on from Wisps, Cream can use specific Color Powers to transform into a certain form, such as a drill, a laser or even a planet, each one possessing its own unique abilities. So far, Cream has been able to transform into the Cyan Laser, Yellow Drill and Indigo Asteroid. However, these transformations require a steady supply of Hyper-go-on to be maintained.
Vanilla the Rabbit
Vanilla the Rabbit is Cream's mother, and is a very important figure in her life. Both Cream and Vanilla are very loving towards each other. It is due to her mother that Cream is so well-behaved, as her upbringing had a large focus on manners.
Both share the same kind, loving and pious personality as seen in Sonic Rush, as both were acting the same kind way to Blaze the Cat when they had invited her to their home.
In Sonic Advance 2, Cream is worried throughout the game for her mother as she was kidnapped, and cried in grief after Eggman took her away when she was found again.
Cheese is Cream's closest companion, whom she behaves towards like an older sister. The two of them are rarely seen apart and are inseparable friends. The two of them work well together and even give each other courage. Also, if Cream is caught up in a conflict, Cheese will help her out of her pinch.
Amy Rose is Cream's best friend. They share a very close relationship like sisters similar to how Tails and Sonic are like brothers. They are both a part of Team Rose along with Big. In Sonic Advance 3 they were known as "Team Jubilee". Amy and Cream worry about each other and try to help each other. Amy is also very caring for Cream, in Shadow the Hedgehog she looks for Cream in Cryptic Castle and constantly tells Shadow that they must find her. In Sonic Chronicles, Amy tells Cream "You poor thing, what are you doing here by yourself?" when the player meets Cream and then she tells the player they have to find Cheese.
Despite their close relationship, Cream can sometimes get frustrated and annoyed by Amy's bossy and stubborn behavior and attitude. Additionally, Cream is not a fan of Amy's anger, and it is implied in Sonic Rush, that Amy occasionally gets angry with Cream. After describing Amy's obsession with Sonic "short-sighted", Amy says; "Cream, we better have a little talk..." and even took out her hammer when Cream replied "Not again!", and proceeds to chase Cream with her hammer. Despite all this however, Cream still admires Amy, and is always there to support her when she is needed.
In Sonic Battle Cream looked upset when Amy was in battle with weights on in order to lose weight and to become stronger. In Sonic Free Riders when Amy and Vector get into an argument, Cream tries to get in and break the argument, reminding them that they have to race. Cream also describes Amy's obsession with Sonic 'short-sighted' in Sonic Rush. Despite not wanting to help Amy chase Sonic, Cream still sticks up to Amy and helps her out like a sidekick.
Blaze the Cat
As Blaze the Cat was traveling alone, after defeating Dr. Eggman for the first time, Cream had surprised her by hiding. Blaze was a little hostile, but Cream instead walked up towards her and invited her to her house, along with her mother, Vanilla. Blaze thought this to be calmly eerie about the way they would treat a stranger.
Cream then agreed to show Blaze around, starting their adventure, acting similar to Tails in the Sonic campaign. Throughout, Blaze was only focused on collecting all of the Sol Emeralds but as they travel, Blaze soon feels a bond, finally seeing Cream as a friend and not a guide. She was very worried about Cream's safety after she destroyed the Eggman robot that captured Cream and briefly thought she had been consumed in the explosion, causing her to frantically search the robot's wreckage before she found Cream had used her flying powers to escape the explosion.
Sonic the Hedgehog
Cream basically looks up to Sonic the Hedgehog as an older brother while she is like a little sister to him. They first met during the incident where Dr. Eggman kidnapped Cream and Cheese, which inevitably led to their meeting with Sonic when he came to rescue them. This led to a soft relationship between the two, with Cream having heard of Sonic's famous exploits and giving him a polite bow after he saved them. Afterward, Cream would accompany Sonic on his adventure in order to find her mother, whom Sonic ultimately saved from Eggman, much to Cream's eternal gratitude.
Cream is shown to highly respect Sonic; during the Blaze incident, Cream marked Sonic as the first one to look up for help to Blaze. This shows her high caliber of respect for Sonic. She likewise often calls him by the name of "Mr. Sonic", as her manners dictate. Cream also has great faith in Sonic, seeing him as strong, kind, and very good at adventuring; while she knows that the adventures they go on together can be scary, she holds the steadfast belief that everything will turn out for the better as long as Sonic is by their side.
Because she loves adventures and fun, Cream has been known to follow Sonic in hopes of him taking her along on his latest adventure. However, she tends to get pouty and upset when Sonic declines her offer to join him in order to protect her from needless danger, as she does not want him to treat her like a little kid. Nonetheless, Cream is willing to disregard Sonic's warnings and follow him into the heat of danger anyway due to her belief that Sonic can make anything end well.
Being inspired by Sonic's trials and battles, Cream originally wished to have the same adventures as him, which means saving the day and defeating evil robots of the Eggman Empire. As such, she tended to feel unfulfilled when she could not participate in the high-octane battles and critical moments Sonic handles. However, thanks to Sonic's words of wisdom, Cream has come to understand that the best kind of adventures to her means being both kind and strong. As long as Cream can handle the kindness, which, as an example, means helping those on the sidelines that get caught in the devastation of villains, while Sonic stands in for the strength, the two of them can still have the best adventures together.
Miles "Tails" Prower
Cream and Miles "Tails" Prower are good friends with each other either by supporting each other or just spending time with each other. Throughout the games, there is not much contact between the two but it is understood that they get along very well when they are shown throughout some games.
In Sonic Free Riders, Tails said that Cream's Extreme Gear was really good in the race to which Cream replied "Well, sure! That means a lot coming from you, Mr. Tails!". In Sonic Rush, Cream tells Blaze that Tails is "neat" and he makes all sorts of cool inventions. When they encounter, Tails tried to protect Cream by telling her to stay away from Blaze, thinking that she was a suspect.
In the Mario & Sonic series handheld versions, they seem to be friendly as well. In the London version, after the Phantasmal Fog clones try to attack Cream, Tails assures her she'll be safe while Mario, Sonic, and Luigi hold them back. He then lashes out at the clones for trying to attack her. In the Rio version, they are partners for Beach Volleyball on day 2 of Mario's Story. Cream states that they have "the bestest teamwork."
In some games Cream is Amy's equivalent of Tails to Sonic, often helping Amy out or trying to get her out of bad situations like Amy's compulsion to push herself too far especially when aroused to anger.
Shadow the Hedgehog
Cream and Shadow the Hedgehog do not have a friendly relationship with each other, but he rescued her in Cryptic Castle when Amy requested Shadow to find her in one of the Hero missions in Shadow the Hedgehog. After that, Shadow tells both Amy and Cream that if they want to stay clear of trouble, they better stay away from Eggman. In Sonic Free Riders, when Shadow called E-10000B a deadweight, Cream defended the robot by saying "That's a terrible thing to call poor Mr. Robot."
- Vanilla the Rabbit (mother)
- Cheese (best friend)
- Amy Rose (best friend, as close as sisters)
- Big the Cat (close friend)
- Blaze the Cat (close friend)
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Rouge the Bat
- E-123 Omega
- Team Chaotix
- Shade the Echidna
- Classic Sonic
- Classic Tails
- Eggman Empire
- Dr. Eggman Nega
- The Babylon Rogues
- The Time Eater
- Sonic Channel (Japanese). Characters: Cream & Cheese. Sega. Archived from the original on 25 May 2019. Retrieved on 3 July 2015.
- Devra Newberger Speregen (2016). Sonic: The Ultimate Character Guide. Scholastic. p. 35. ISBN 978-1338033243.
- Sonic Generations
- File:Cream profile SG.png
- Sega.com: Where do you draw your inspiration for the many unique Sonic characters? Is there a story behind the creation of Cream and her little Chao sidekick called Cheese from Sonic Advance 2? / Yuji Naka: We think up characters from the game system. For example, Knuckles needed to break walls and Tails, to fly in the sky. Cream is a sweet girl who has a Chao as a partner. However, if she attacks the enemy by herself, it can damage her image, so we decided that she takes the offensive using her Chao. By the way, the name Cheese was taken from "Cream Cheese".
- ソニック アドバンス２ (Japanese). Sega of Japan. Archived from the original on 12 November 2005. Retrieved on 3 January 2016.
- Sega. Official Sonic Heroes website (Japanese). Characters: Team Rose. Sega. Archived from the original on 11 December 2004. Retrieved on 25 May 2021.
- Sonic City. Sega. Archived from the original on 29 February 2008.
- Sonic Heroes official website. Characters: Team Rose. Sega. Retrieved on 24 June 2004. “Cream was brought up like a princess and is used to getting what she wants, but she never forgets her manners. She often curtsies before unleashing a vicious attack on Dr. Eggman, which often involves hurtling Cheese, her tiny Chao sidekick, straight into his contraptions, as seen in Sonic Advance 2. Cream keeps Team Rose out of trouble by using her ears to fly them out of harm's way.”
- Sonic Heroes (PlayStation 2) United States instruction booklet, p. 9.
- Sega (20 April 2021). ソニック ＆ クリーム (Japanese). Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 21 April 2021. Retrieved on 21 April 2021.
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008). In-game description of the "Cream" trophy.
- Sonic Advance 2 (Game Boy Advance) United States instruction booklet, p. 3.
- Sonic Team (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Game Boy Advance. Sega. Area/Level: Gimme Shelter (Cream's Episode). "Chaos Gamma: This should take care of even the Gizoid... / Cream: You better stop hurting Emerl, or else... / Chaos Gamma: Or else what? What could a little bunny and her little round animal do to stop me? / Cream: Cheese! Let's go! / Cheese: Chaooo!"
- Sonic Team (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Game Boy Advance. Sega. Area/Level: Central City (Amy's Episode). "Cream: Amy is resting right now. She wanted to go out to find you, but... She's burnt out. Ever since you were kidnapped, she's been boxercising to gain more strength so she can protect you next time. But when we found out that boxercise also helped her lose weight, she' been working out every day. I guess she pushed herself too hard. Cheese and I are also beat, since she had us working out with her. / Cheese: Chaooo... / Amy: All right, I'm readddy... / Cream: Amy! You can't work out like that! Look, you can't even walk straight! / Amy: Yeah, whatever, Cream. You're going to join us too! / Cream: Oh, noooo. / Amy: Whoever gets "10 KOs" first wins, OK? No holding back! / Cream: Emerl... You will take it easy on me, right...?"
- Sonic Team (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Game Boy Advance. Sega. Area/Level: Gimme Shelter (Cream's Episode).
- Sonic Team (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Game Boy Advance. Sega. Area/Level: Central City (Amy's Episode). "Emerl: Oh, you two aren't that weak!"
- Sonic Advance 2¨ (Game Boy Advance) United States instruction booklet, pg. 3.
- Sonic Team (4 November 2011). Sonic Generations. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/Level: Cream: Helping Hand.
- Sega of America. Cream the Rabbit. Sonic Characters. Sega of America. Archived from the original on 5 March 2005. Retrieved on 26 October 2017. “Cream, and her Chao sidekick Cheese, joined Sonic in his fight against evil in Sonic Advance 2 for Game Boy Advance. She flies with her ears and is nearly as fast as her new blue friend. When Dr. Eggman is being especially meddlesome, he gets a blast from Cheese who is hurtled at his doomsday machines by Cream.”
- Sonic Team, Dimps (28 March 2003). Sonic Advance 2. Game Boy Advance. Sega. Area/Level: Ending sequence (Cream's playthrough).
- Sonic Battle (Game Boy Advance) United States instruction booklet, pg. 5
- Sonic Advance 3 Japanese website. Retrieved on 1 May 2015.
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Zone Map (Blaze's scenario). "Cream: You know, I'd suggest that you talk to Sonic. / Vanilla: Yes, Sonic should be able to help you. / Blaze: Please don't worry. This is my problem, so I'll find them myself!"