Crazy Carl is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog film. He is a human that lives in Green Hills and was the first person on Earth to discover Sonic the Hedgehog. He was regarded as the town lunatic for his belief in the "Blue Devil".
Sonic the Hedgehog
Carl is first seen showing off his drawing of Sonic to the patrons of the local bar in Green Hills, among them being Sheriff Tom Wachowski, explaining that he nearly had Sonic at one point, before it cuts to him hunting for Sonic at night, but Sonic easily avoids all the bear traps Carl laid out to catch him with with setting them off as he sped past Carl several times before Carl tried to chase him and got caught in one of his snare traps in the process. Hanging upside-down, Carl shouts out to Sonic that he knows he's out there and knows he's real, but Sonic denies it.
Carl later joins the rest of Green Hills in defending Tom and Sonic when Dr. Robotnik is about to kill Tom and his wife Maddie with the Prototype, only to be caught off guard when shot at by Tom's deputy, Wade Whipple, who is joined by Carl, now packing a chainsaw. However, when Sonic recovers after hearing Tom declare him his friend, Carl wisely falls back with Wade and the other residents to give Sonic room to face off with the Prototype, resulting in Sonic banishing Robotnik to the Mushroom Planet, destroying the Prototype in the process. Carl is then disarmed of his chainsaw by Wade, but nonetheless, is glad to see Sonic, AKA the Blue Devil, is real, and is staying in Green Hills with the Wachowskis.
While Carl does have an obsession with catching the "Blue Devil" that seems to alienate him from the rest of Green Hills, he does seem laid back enough to interact with them. He is not truly a malicious person and sees Sonic more of a rival he has yet to catch. When Sonic and Tom were threatened by Dr. Robotnik, Carl did not hesitate to come to their aid armed with a chainsaw.
Powers and abilities
Crazy Carl possesses some skill at setting traps.
Crazy Carl possesses a chainsaw. His proficiency with it is unknown. He is also armed with several bear traps.
- Carl's name for Sonic, the "Blue Devil", shares the name with the vehicle driven by Metal Sonic in Sonic Drift 2.
- At one point, Carl holds up a drawing of Sonic, and the drawing itself is a reference to the Sanic meme.
- In a deleted scene, Crazy Carl has a camper with the license plate number "1NOM155". This license plate number is a reference to another Sega franchise, Crazy Taxi, and it is the license plate number of the taxi cab that belongs to Axel, one of the drivers.
- "I know you're out there, and I know you're real!"
- —Crazy Carl yelling out for the "Blue Devil"