- For the trade-paperback volume in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series, see Sonic the Hedgehog Volume 1: Countdown to Chaos.
"Countdown to Chaos" is the twenty-sixth episode of the anime series, Sonic X, and the finale of Season 1, as well as the halfway point of Series 1. It first aired on 28 September 2003 and 27 March 2004 in Japan and the United States respectively.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Super Sonic (first appearance)
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Amy Rose
- Cream the Rabbit
- Christopher Thorndyke
- Rouge the Bat
- Chuck Thorndyke
- Christina Cooper (first appearance)
- Doctor Eggman
- E-77 Lucky
- E-99 Eggsterminator (first appearance)
- "SONIC DRIVE" - Opening theme
- "The Shining Road" - Closing theme
- "Kotoba ni Dekinai" - Insert (TV-Tokyo broadcast only)
- "Gotta Go Fast" - Opening theme (USA and CAN)
- "Sonic X" - Opening theme (AUS, NZ and UK)
- "Gotta Go Fast" (shortened) - Closing theme
After Eggman tricked Knuckles and Chris into giving him the six Chaos Emeralds, Chris was held hostage on the Egg Fort II as it took off and goes to meet Lucky, who has found the final Chaos Emerald, and Sonic had to rescue him. The episode begins with Danny, Helen, and Frances playing with a puppet toy of Next until they spot the gigantic fortress flying overhead. Then Sonic runs past while Lucky has just found the last Chaos Emerald in a landfill. The President says that he hopes they are ready for Chaos Control and Tails, Chuck, Amy, Cream, and Cheese use the X Tornado to also rescue Chris. When Eggman is just about to grab the Chaos Emerald from Lucky, Sonic zooms in to smash the machine and G.U.N. Beetles attack Eggman, but the Egg Shields block the missiles and he launches the Egg Beam Cannon on the ground that leaves the Beetles unaffected.
The impact causes Lucky to almost fall into the sea due to being sent flying by the blast, but Sonic rescues him and gets the Chaos Emerald. Eggman, Decoe, and Bocoe then transform the Egg Fort II into the E-99 Eggsterminator. Sonic then comes up with a plan to defeat the machine, using his speed. But Eggman uses the six Chaos Emeralds Knuckles and Chris gave him to empower the Eggsterminator. The Eggsterminator then attacks Sonic and punches him into a building, and then the Eggsterminator goes out of control and continues to pound Sonic very hard. Eggman is impressed by the strength of his robot, but also slightly scared by its power. Then the X Tornado arrives while Sonic, who is still willing to rescue Chris no matter what, tells Eggman that nothing can stop him despite his injuries. The G.U.N. Beetles also attempt to attack, but the Eggsterminator easily destroys them.
Suddenly, the robot uses an extra burst of energy and slams Sonic into the ground repeatedly. Eggman is afraid of his robot now and is angry at it for using all the power from the emeralds, leading to Eggman ordering it to stop as he could not bear to see Sonic getting hurt anymore. In response, the robot lifts up Sonic, now unconscious, and throws him into the air before slamming him once more into the sea, frightening Eggman and his robot lackeys. Unable to bear the sight, Chris breaks free from his restraints and grabs the Chaos Emeralds, and Knuckles barges in to rescue Chris, but Rouge arrives first and flies off with both Chris and the Chaos Emeralds. Then Chris accidentally drops the emeralds into the sea, while the Eggsterminator grabs Rouge and Chris and attempts to crush them. However, with all seven emeralds in his possession, Sonic is able to transform into Super Sonic. His first move is to mortally wound the Eggsterminator by reducing its fist holding Chris and Rouge in it to shrapnel. Eggman does nothing to intervene, knowing that Chaos Control is about to happen. As the malfunctioned Eggsterminator attempts to beat up Super Sonic with its remaining fist, the super-powered hedgehog halts off its attack and destroys the Eggsterminator within a matter of seconds. Chaos Control has begun, but Chris tearfully desired that Sonic cannot leave. For some reason though, instead of sending Sonic back home, two locations from his planet, Angel Island and Mystic Ruins, are assimilated into Earth. With his home brought forth, Knuckles resumes his task of guarding the Master Emerald. Dr. Eggman, defeated again, stumbles upon a stone tablet, setting the stage for his next plan. The episode ends with Sonic finding Chris and saying "Hey! Long time no see!".
- The following scenes has been cut/edited:
- In the Japanese version, after activating the Eggsterminator, Eggman just seemingly wants to "play around" with Sonic, as he does not want to kill him. After Sonic gets blasted through buildings, Eggman tells Sonic to give up as he does not want to fight. In the English dub, Eggman keeps saying how wonderful his Eggsterminator is.
- Many scenes where Sonic is being squashed into the ground are removed in the English dub.
- In the Japanese version, Chris is possessive of Sonic when he takes the Chaos Emeralds. In the English dub, he claims the Chaos Emeralds are his and that he will not let Eggman have them.
- The flashback where Chris remembers his days with Sonic is different between versions.
- In the Japanese version, Super Sonic tells Knuckles that he is going to destroy E-99, and not to be caught in the Chaos Control. In the English dub, Super Sonic says something about Knuckles' wish coming true, and saying he has unfinished business.
- In the Japanese version, Super Sonic's voice is cool, calm and collected. In the English dub, it is the same as Sonic's voice.
- In the Japanese version, as Sonic is walking toward Chris through the mist, the President says "What's happening?", and his Secretary says "We can't be sure for now, but two huge islands have appeared. Perhaps they're from Sonic's world." None of this dialogue is present in the English dub, except for a "Huh?" from Chris that was not in the original.
- "Kotoba ni Dekinai," like the rest of the original music, is replaced with generic music in the dub.
Title in other languages
|Japanese||誕生！スーパーソニック||Birth! Super Sonic|
|Chinese||超級索尼克！誕生||Super Sonic! Birth|
|French||Super Sonic est né||Super Sonic is born|
|German||Auf die Plätze, fertig, Chaos||On your marks, get set, Chaos|
|Italian||Il Chaos Control / Sonic sull'orlo della sconfitta||The Chaos Control / Sonic on the verge of defeat|
|Spanish||¡Nacimiento! Super Sonic||Birth! Super Sonic|
|Polish||Narodziny Super Sonica||The birth of Super Sonic|
|Russian||Рождение Супер Соника||The birth of Super Sonic|
- This episode marks the debut of Super Sonic in the anime series. This is also the first time that Super Sonic has appeared in any Sonic animated series period.
- This is the only episode to feature one eyecatch card as opposed to two.
- In the Japanese version, Eggman breaks the fourth wall throughout the episode:
- when Eggman fired the Egg Beam Cannon and misses, he mentions he hates anime because Sonic would normally be killed by the cannon. Bocoe then mentions that anime is great. In addition, Eggman wonders about the "good kids" watching the episode, if they would imitate the missiles and beams shown in the episode.
- Later on, when Eggman is about to transform the Egg Fort II into E-99 Eggsterminator, he also engages with the viewers that if they miss this part of the episode, they will not know what everyone will be talking about at school the next day and tells them not to change the channel.
- When the Eggsterminator first deals a heavy blow to Sonic and Chris begs Eggman to stop, Eggman replies with, "You know I can't. Or else, we have no TV show."
- This episode shares its English name with a comic story arc "Countdown to Chaos", from Sonic the Hedgehog #253-Sonic the Hedgehog #256.
- "Kotoba ni Dekinai" was only played during the Japanese TV broadcast. For the Japanese DVD and streaming releases, it was replaced with a synthesized instrumental version of "The Shining Road". This was also the case with the French and Asian dubs, which otherwise kept all of the original music.