I didn't know I was missin'.
— Cliff, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Cliff is a character from Sonic Boom who appears in Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. He is an anthropomorphic animal and the respected and trusted elderly statesman of Hedgehog Village. An archaeologist by profession, he knows the history of Lyric the Last Ancient and his metal army and is the head of the excavation expedition to uncover the ruins of the Ancients.
Concept and creation
Cliff was originally intended to be an inventor by Big Red Button Entertainment. However, because it violated Sonic Team's guidelines that only Tails and Eggman could be inventors in the Sonic Boom continuity, that concept got scrapped, and Cliff ended up becoming an archeologist.
Cliff is an anthropomorphic animal slightly taller than Knuckles. He has long arms and legs with buff-colored fur, white fur on his front torso and blue eyes. He has a medium-long muzzle covered in long white fur, resembling a beard, a black nose similar to Sonic's, white bushy eyebrows and several hair strands reminiscent of hedgehog quills with white tips. His attire consists of a beige cowboy hat with a black band, a grey bandanna, brown gloves and dark grey boots with black straps and white cuffs. Around his waist he has a dark grey belt with a pocket and rope.
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
At some point, Cliff got to know Amy and her team, though the knowledge of each party was not mutual. Having been searching for the Ancients' civilization for a very long time, Cliff lead an expedition to an excavation site where he and his workers worked tirelessly to learn more about the Ancients' civilization. Supposedly, Cliff found Q-N-C during the excavations and became his friend. Cliff later met Team Sonic who provided the group with info on Lyric's backstory upon their inquire. Hearing that Sonic had accidentally released the genocidal Ancient from his eternal prison, Cliff gave Team Sonic a plan: Lyric needed the Chaos Crystals for his plans, so they just had to get them first. Proving clues, Cliff assigned Q-N-C to help Team Sonic.
While helping the team search for the Crystals, Cliff dug out the Tornado and told Q-N-C where to find him. When Team Sonic found him, Cliff helped bring them to Bygone Island where the remaining Crystals were in the Tornado. Cliff later joined the Unnamed Village's celebration of Team Sonic after they stopped Lyric, where he praised Sonic's efforts, but Sonic noted that they did it together.
Cliff is nice, well-educated and wise, though at times absent-minded. While usually very calm and level-headed, he can nonetheless be comically stunned by unexpected news, as hearing about Lyric's release left him shocked for several seconds. When on a lookout for something, he will fulfill his search anyway he sees fit.
Cliff is good friends with Q-N-C, a robot he whom he befriended after finding him during the excavation. Cliff himself refers to Q-N-C as his "buddy" and has enough faith in him to have him serve as Team Sonic's guide for their mission to stop Lyric.
- "Can't say I know much. But I do know about an ancient prison with a giant snake in it."
- —Cliff after Amy asked him if he knew about "an ancient tomb with a giant snake in it", Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
- "Not cool, Sonic."
- —Cliff after hearing Sonic released Lyric", Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
- "You saved a lot of people."
- —Cliff praising Sonic for saving the world, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
- Cliff's design has aspects of that of Beauregard Rabbot, such as the gloves, hat, belt and boots.
- According to Team Sonic, Cliff collects Crowns.
- Kellie (23 July 2014). Meet Characters in the Sonic Boom Universe. Archived from the original on 25 March 2015. Retrieved on 24 July 2014.
- Motobadnik (10 July 2017). De Project Apollo a Sonic Boom, su evolución documentada (Spanish). Sonic Paradise. Ash the dragon. Retrieved on 12 July 2017.
- Sonic Toon (Japanese). Inhabitants of the village: Cliff. Sega. Archived from the original on 20 April 2016.
- Steven Frost on Twitter. Twitter (20 April 2016). Retrieved on 20 April 2016. “Alexander Soerensen: How did Cliff and Q-N-C meet in Rise of Lyric? / Steven Frost: Never really came up with the full story about that. Planned for later, but Cliff probably found him during excavations.”