Classic Sonic's world is a location that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is the home dimension of Classic Sonic, and an alternate reality derived from Sonic's universe. It is noticeable for being an almost exact duplicate of Sonic's universe, except for a few key differences.
While not much of Classic Sonic's universe has been revealed, it is known that it is basically a re-interpretation of Modern Sonic's universe in the time before the Chaos incident. As such, Classic Sonic's world possesses this era's distinguished locations, like Angel Island and Little Planet; inhabitants, like Sonic the Hedgehog and Dr. Eggman; and objects, like the Chaos Emeralds and Master Emerald. It has similarly gone through events that occurred in Modern Sonic's dimension as well, such as the Eggman Island incident and the Angel Island incident.
Much like Modern Sonic's universe, Classic Sonic's dimension is home to a plethora of sapient life forms, such as anthropomorphic and non-anthropomorphic animals and humans, most of which being past versions of themselves from Modern Sonic's world. Its most prominent location is the planet Sonic and his friends live on, though other planets, such as Little Planet, can be found as well, most of these being able to support life. So far, the only parts of Classic Sonic's planet that have been revealed mainly consist of islands and archipelagoes, though it is unclear whether these are representative of the planet as a whole. However, what sets Classic Sonic's world apart from its mainstream counterpart is its elements exclusive to itself, most noticeably the Phantom Ruby, as well as events that have not occurred in Modern Sonic's dimension, such as the first and the second Phantom Ruby incident.
Classic Sonic's world is one of many alternate dimensions that exist alongside each other as parallel universes. As such, what facilitates its existence is the Power of the Stars. Interdimensional travel from Classic Sonic's universe to other dimensions is possible through the use of mystical objects such as the Phantom Ruby and the Giant Rings, or via special powers possessed by beings such as the Time Eater.
Generations ago, there was an ancient civilization of echidnas inhabiting Angel Island, where they would guard the Master Emerald. However, the echidnas seemingly entered a decline that would end in just one echidna remaining in the present day: Knuckles the Echidna.
SegaSonic the Hedgehog
Recently, Dr. Robotnik was able to capture Sonic, alongside Mighty the Armadillo and Ray the Flying Squirrel, and left them imprisoned in Eggman Island. However, the three heroes were able to escape.
In the console/PC version of Sonic Generations, Classic Sonic's world got invaded by Modern Eggman and the Time Eater, their emergence sending Sonic and Tails into White Space. There, they teamed up with Modern Sonic and Modern Tails to stop the Time Eater. Meanwhile, Modern Eggman went back in time and recruited Classic Eggman from the time of the first Death Egg incident for his scheme to rewrite history in their favor. However, the Eggmen were stopped by the Sonics, which undid the damage the Time Eater had done to Classic Sonic's world. In the aftermath, Sonic and Tails returned to their world.
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
After the Death Egg crash-landed on Angel Island, Dr. Eggman began rebuilding his space station on the island. During his stay, he tricked the island's guardian, Knuckles, into helping him. When Sonic and Tails later discovered Eggman's operations, they came to the island to destroy the Death Egg. After a lengthy struggle and countless battles, Sonic and Tails managed to gain Knuckles as their ally and destroy the Death Egg for good. Soon after, Knuckles had to contend with some of remaining Eggman robots trying to steal the Master Emerald, and emerged victorious.
In Sonic Mania, some time after the Angel Island incident, the Phantom Ruby showed up on Angel Island. Detecting the jewel, Sonic and Tails tried to secure it, only for Eggman's Hard Boiled Heavies to do it first. The jewel would soon after transform the Hard Boiled Heavies, causing them to go rogue. Despite this, Eggman managed to obtain the Phantom Ruby. Teaming up with their new ally Knuckles, Sonic and Tails set out to get the Phantom Ruby away from Eggman.
While pursuing Eggman, Sonic and his friends would fight several robots, the Hard Boiled Heavies, Metal Sonic and Eggman, all while collecting the Chaos Emeralds. Eventually, the trio cornered Eggman in Titanic Monarch Zone on a mechanized Little Planet, where they defeated him. Whereas Tails and Knuckles managed to escape Little Planet before it vanished, Sonic had a final showdown with Eggman and the Phantom King that got him and the Phantom Ruby sent to Modern Sonic's world.
Sonic Mania Plus
In Sonic Mania Plus, Classic Sonic returned to his world from his adventure in Modern Sonic's world, along with the Phantom Ruby. However, as Sonic attempted to retrieve the Phantom Ruby, he came across Mighty and Ray, both of whom were trapped in a capsule. After Sonic freed the duo though, one of them was revealed to be the Heavy Magician in disguise. She immediately after took the Phantom Ruby and used it to revive the other Hard Boiled Heavies who had been destroyed. Afterward, the robotic group ran off with the Phantom Ruby. Sonic thus set off in search of the Phantom Ruby again on an adventure similar to the first one, but with Tails, Knuckles, Mighty and Ray by his side this time.
Despite the efforts of Sonic and his group, Eggman took the Phantom Ruby from the Hard Boiled Heavies again for the purpose of retrying his previous scheme. The heroes subsequently followed Eggman through several old locations, during which they had rematches with many old foes and collected the Chaos Emeralds. Eventually arriving in Titanic Monarch Zone again, Sonic and his crew defeated Eggman there. Upon the doctor's defeat however, the Phantom Ruby went haywire, which created a rift that began swallowing the Titanic Monarch. While Sonic and his friends managed to escape and celebrate their victory, Eggman was swallowed by the rift.
Sonic Mania Adventures
Seeking the Chaos Emeralds for a dastardly scheme to empower Metal Sonic, Dr. Eggman discovered they laid buried on Angel Island. As such, he began digging all over the island in his search for them.
Returning from Modern Sonic's world, Sonic arrived on Angel Island and saw the holes Eggman had made. Sonic was soon after lured into a trap by Dr. Eggman, but the hedgehog managed to turn the situation around with the Chaos Emerald he had and get Eggman stuck in the trap while he escaped. Along the way, Sonic discovered Eggman's hunt for the Chaos Emeralds, and that he already had four of them. Sonic subsequently reunited with Tails and brought him up to speed on Eggman's plans, before going after Eggman alone when the Doctor began his hunt for the sixth Chaos Emerald. After getting defeated by Eggman however, Sonic teamed up with Tails. Together, the two heroes stopped Eggman and secured the sixth Chaos Emerald. Setting afterward his sights on the Master Emerald, Eggman began cooking up a scheme to steal the Master Emerald and blame Sonic for it.
Meanwhile, Knuckles was looking for a safer place to keep the Master Emerald. During his outing, he had a run-in with Ray, who was looking for Mighty. Eventually though, Knuckles lost the Master Emerald when Eggman took it while the echidna was preoccupied. Furthermore, by using the Tornado as his escape vehicle, Eggman tricked Knuckles (who only saw the Tornado dragging the Master Emerald away) into thinking that Sonic was the one who stole the Master Emerald. Later on, Ray and Mighty found each other after an encounter with Metal Sonic. However, Mighty was forced to give the seventh Chaos Emerald, which he had found, to Metal Sonic in exchange for Ray when the robot took the flying squirrel hostage. After Metal Sonic left, Mighty and Ray began following him to Eggman's base of operations. At the same time, Sonic and Tails were heading to the exact same location, with Knuckles hot on their heels.
Inside Eggman's base, Metal Sonic took Sonic and Tails' Chaos Emeralds. Eggman then put his plan into motion by giving the rest of the Chaos Emeralds to Metal Sonic, thus allowing the robot to empower himself with all seven Emeralds before taking on Sonic. Although Mighty and Ray soon after arrived and aided Sonic and Tails, the quartet was unable to defeat Metal Sonic. Fortunately, Tails figured out a way to separate Metal Sonic from the Chaos Emeralds. Not beaten yet though, Eggman tried to empower Metal Sonic with the Master Emerald. However, both villains were foiled when Knuckles showed up and took them out. With the Master Emerald back in safe hands, Sonic, Tails, Mighty and Ray closed off their adventure with a picnic. Eggman and Metal Sonic landed some ways away in a wooded area, where Eggman frustratingly abandoned Metal Sonic after the robot failed to respond properly. Metal Sonic lay in the same position for months until winter arrived, upon which he was found by Amy Rose, who took notice of the robot's sorry condition. Amy, feeling sorry for Metal Sonic, took Metal Sonic back to Eggman's lair. Eggman, thinking Metal Sonic had come home to mend things over, took him back much to Amy's pleasure and Sonic's disbelief.
- Little Planet
- Sonic's planet
In other media
Books and comics
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by IDW Publishing, Classic Sonic's world is the home dimension of Classic Sonic and Classic Eggman, among many others. In this media, its past is virtually identical to its game counterpart's, up until after the events of Sonic Mania.
- If the theory about many-worlds interpretation, which says that one will create an alternate reality when changing the past, applies here, then Classic Sonic's world may have split off from Sonic's universe and became an alternate dimension when Dr. Eggman tried to change the past back in Sonic Generations. This would explain why Classic Sonic went from being a past version of Sonic in Sonic Generations to being an alternate reality counterpart of Sonic in Sonic Forces.
- There might be more Classic versions of characters inhabiting this dimension, such as Fang the Sniper, as proven by his cameo in Sonic Mania, although this is unconfirmed.
- While the Classic counterparts of Sonic, Tails, Dr. Eggman, and Metal Sonic made their first appearance in Sonic Generations, Knuckles, Mighty and Ray's counterparts did not, making their official debut in Sonic Mania (and in Mighty and Ray's cases, Sonic Mania Plus).
- Webber, Aaron. The Art of Sonic Mania. Sega. "When Mighty and Ray last saw Sonic, they were escaping from Eggman Island. Time may have passed, but this duo are ready to prove they can take down the Doctor again!"
- Sega. "Story So Far". Sonic Mania Introduction Manual. Sega. p. 1. "Some time after saving Angel Island, Sonic the Hedgehog and his best friend, Miles "Tails" Prower, are relaxing when Tails picks up a strange energy reading far away. Though different from the Chaos Emeralds, the reading is remarkably powerful, and Tails convinces Sonic to join him to check it out. Sonic and Tails take off on the Tornado towards the source, but sure enough, the evil Dr. Eggman has detected it too! Now it's a race between Sonic and Eggman to get there first and figure out what mysteries it holds. However, Eggman has been busy: he's just unleashed a new team of elite Egg-Robos to handle his most important tasks. They're called the "Hard-Boiled Heavies," and they're about to reach the source of the signal first! It's up to Sonic, Tails, & their newest ally, Knuckles the Echidna, to defeat the Hard-Boiled Heavies, unlock the secrets of the energy source, and stop Dr. Eggman!"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (14 September 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Southern Island. "Eggman Nega: Haa ha ha ha! Oh, you poor thing. Allow me to explain. This world and Dr. Eggman's world exist in separate dimensions. Each of us can think of the other as what is known as a "parallel universe." What makes this possible is this so-called "Power of the Stars.""
- Sega. "Characters". Sonic Mania Introduction Manual. Sega. p. 2. "Knuckles is the last descendent of the ancient Echidnas. He lives alone on the floating Angel Island, kept in the sky by the Master Emerald, which he guards. Knuckles has unmatched strength, and can even punch through solid walls. Following the defeat of Dr. Eggman's previous scheme, Knuckles considers Sonic an ally. When Knuckles spots something amiss on the island, he goes to investigate."
- Sonic Mania Plus English instruction manual, "Story."
- Hesse, Tyson (17 July 2018). "Metal Mayhem". Sonic Mania Adventures. Season 1. Episode 5. YouTube.
- Hesse, Tyson (30 March 2018). "Sonic Returns". Sonic Mania Adventures. Season 1. Episode 1. YouTube.
- Hesse, Tyson (30 April 2018). "Sonic and Tails". Sonic Mania Adventures. Season 1. Episode 2. YouTube.
- Hesse, Tyson (31 May 2018). "& Knuckles". Sonic Mania Adventures. Season 1. Episode 3. YouTube.
- Hesse, Tyson (22 June 2018). "Mighty and Ray". Sonic Mania Adventures. Season 1. Episode 4. YouTube.
- Hesse, Tyson (20 December 2018). "From: A. Rose". Sonic Mania Adventures. Season 1. Episode 6. YouTube.