Chumley, also known as the Walrus Baby, is a character that appears in the Sonic Boom series. He is an anthropomorphic baby walrus and the youngest child of Lady Walrus. He is well-known for always ending up in dangerous predicaments, partially as a result of his caretakers' poor grip on child safety.
Concept and creation
Described as ugly, Chumley is a small anthropomorphic walrus with lavender fur and clear blue eyes. He has a small torso with baby fat, stubby legs and arms, and a large round head. His facial features include a medium-wide grey muzzle, a black snout, and a tuff of hair on his head. For attire, he wears a white diaper secured with a blue safety pin, and white-soled pink shoes with red cuffs. Sometimes, he sucks on a pacifier.
During Fire Bot's attack, Chumley was caught by the robot and almost put into a burning house, but Sonic saved him and returned him to his mother. He would later get up on and fall down from a roof, but was rescued and returned to Lady Walrus by the newcomer Swifty the Shrew.
When sheep stampeded through the village, a chain of events sent Chumley flying to his doom until Sonic brought him back to his mother. Chumley was later taken to Puppy Con where he once again ended up in danger, much to his mother's shock. Another time at Meh Burger, Chumley would mimic Team Sonic's horsing around, prompting Lady Walrus to take him away and find a "precarious edge" for him to play on.
During a crime wave, Chumley had his candy stolen by a Weasel Bandit while he got insulted on public TV. He soon after got himself into another dangerous situation. Chumley later accompanied his brother and mother to the beach and Meh Burger, during which they tried out adding Knuckles to the family. It was not after that that Chumley would again get up somewhere high and fall down, leaving it to Sonic to save him and return him to his mother. He would later be protected from Sticks, who at the time was scorned by the Village due to her ancestry, by his mother when Sticks talked to him. Another time, Chumley joined in on the Muckfoot Mania that had swept his family and Village. Chumley and his family soon after went on a picnic, during which they nearly got trampled by a widabit stampede. Fortunately, Knuckles would appear and protect them.
Chumley was eventually put in the Village's outdated daycare center (which he desperately tried to escape). No less than a few hours later though, he would be protected from malware-infected robots by Lady Walrus. When Eggman then opened "Eggman Towers", the Walus Baby came with his mother and brother when they checked in there. In the hotel, he and his family would be taken hostage by Eggman for an evil scheme. Team Sonic however, ensured that Chumley was freed from Eggman's captivity alongside his family, with Eggman Towers getting blown up around them in the process.
When Lady Walrus took Chumley outside, she got injured by Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. To make this up, the trio agreed to babysit Chumley while Lady Walrus recovered. However, Chumley proved to be more than a handful for the trio. When Eggman later attacked them with his Badniks, Chumley wound up in Eggman's Eggmobile where he messed with its console for Eggman's machines, allowing Team Sonic to rescue him and beat Eggman. Seeing Chumley enjoy the violence, Team Sonic figured out how to best care for him and gave him a good time. Chumley later wandered off while Team Sonic slept, but showed up at his house in time for Team Sonic to return him to his mother. Chumley soon got into trouble again though when he wound up dangling from a tree. Fortunately, he was saved by Sonic and returned to his mother when a Bee Bot-corrupted Tails refused to help him.
Chumley is a very playful, curious and grateful tyke who loves to cuddle up. A pretty regular infant, Chumley has a simple and underdeveloped mind. As such, he enjoys the simpler things in life, like toys and playing, but is quick to cry when feeling upset or uncomfortable. He is also shown to enjoy gratuitous violence, physical activities, and excitement in general.
Chumley has a knack for getting himself into dangerous situations, although not always voluntarily. Being so young, Chumley is very impressionable and will try imitating others' behavior, whether if it is good or bad.
Loving being close to her, Chumley has a healthy relationship with his mother, Lady Walrus, for a baby his age. After getting rescued from danger, he is always happy to be reunited with his mother. Lady Walrus is similarly always happy to have her child by her side and only wants what is best for him despite her poor grip on child safety.
- Chumley and Stratford are the first background characters in the Sonic Boom television series to receive new names for the plot of an episode.
- Stanley, Evan (12 August 2017). "Three Men And My Baby!". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 92. Boomerang.
- Harisson, Reid (24 October 2015). "Role Models". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 49. Cartoon Network.
- Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (14 December 2015). Retrieved on 14 December 2015. "Zack Dias: And how that baby of Lady Walrus? / Bill Freiberger: Walrus Baby."
- Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (10 August 2017). Retrieved on 12 August 2017. "Angel Camacho: Huh. We finally learn his name. Hmm... Chumley. Chumley... Why does that name sound familiar to me? / Bill Freiberger: It's a tip of the hat to Tennessee Tuxedo's walrus sidekick."
- Grenier, Benoit (21 January 2017). "The Evil Dr. Orbot". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 63. Boomerang.
- Trueheart, Eric (15 November 2014). "Buster". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 4. Cartoon Network.
- Lieblich, Doug (14 July 2015). "Blue With Envy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 28. Cartoon Network.
- Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (22 July 2015). "Just a Guy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 34. Cartoon Network.
- Harrison, Reid (10 October 2015). "Fuzzy Puppy Buddies". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 47. Cartoon Network.
- Raut-Sieuzac, Natalys (28 January 2017). "Knuck Knuck! Who's Here?". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 64. Boomerang.
- Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (11 February 2017). "FiendBot". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 66. Boomerang.
- Grenier, Benoit (11 March 2017). "Unnamed Episode". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 70. Boomerang.
- Burke, Kevin; Wyatt, Chris (8 April 2017). "Muckfoot". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 74. Boomerang.
- Saisselin, Peter (29 April 2017). "Do Not Disturb". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 77. Boomerang.
- Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg; Freiberger, Bill (6 May 2017). "Robots From The Sky Part 1". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 78. Boomerang.
- Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg; Freiberger, Bill (13 May 2017). "Robots From The Sky Part 2". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 79. Boomerang.
- Freiberger, Sam (1 July 2017). "Inn Sanity". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 86. Boomerang.
- Grenier, Benoit (14 October 2017). "You and I Bee-come One". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 99. Boomerang.
- Sonic Boom #5, "Eggtoberfest!"