Friend to pixels and polys alike.
— Christian Whitehead's logo
Christian Whitehead, professionally known as The Taxman, is an independent game developer who lives in Melbourne, Australia. He is known for working with Sega and Headcannon to produce remakes and enhanced ports of the original Sonic the Hedgehog games for the Sega Genesis/Sega Mega Drive console since 2011. His success with the ports led him along with Headcannon and PagodaWest Games to develop Sonic Mania which was released in 2017.
Christian Whitehead has been a longtime and well-known user on Sonic the Hedgehog CD, that is running on Whitehead's own game engine called the Star Engine, then known as the Retro Engine. In the concept video, the game has been played on the iPod Touch. In July of the same year, he contacted Sega to tell them about his re-release plans., where he has been creating several fan games, the most well known being . In 2009, Whitehead recorded a video about a concept demo for
In August 2011, Christian Whitehead confirmed the re-release of Sonic the Hedgehog CD, powered by his Retro Engine. The port was successful, as in March 2013, the Windows Phone version of the re-release has won the Game of the Year category of the Pocket Gamer Awards. The original Sonic the Hedgehog has also been re-released in 2013 and is powered by Retro Engine with Christian Whitehead behind the re-release. In 21 October Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was announced to be re-released on 12 December for iOS and Android in 2013. During San Diego Comic-Con in 2016, Christian Whitehead, along with Headcannon and PagodaWest Games, announced the development of a new Sonic game titled Sonic Mania, which was released on 15 August 2017.
- Sonic the Hedgehog CD (2011)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2013)
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2013)
- Sonic Mania (2017)
- Sonic Mania Plus (2018)
- TouchArcade (27 December 2009). Sonic CD Demonstration. Youtube. Retrieved on 19 October 2018.
- Shadzter (27 August 2011). Christian Whitehead confirms Sonic CD port involvement, Sega gives more details. Sonic Stadium. Retrieved on 19 October 2018.
- Pocket Gamer Awards 2013. Pocket Gamer (18 March 2013). Retrieved on 19 October 2018.
- Barry (26 March 2013). GDC 2013: Sonic the Hedgehog remastered releasing to iOS and Android in Spring 2013. SEGABits. Retrieved on 19 October 2018.
- Nelson, Jared (21 October 2013). Sega Announce Winter Release Lineup Headlined by ‘Sonic The Hedgehog 2’ Remastered. TouchArcade. Retrieved on 19 October 2018.
- Goldfarb, Andrew (23 July 2016). Comic-Con 2016: Sonic Mania Announced. IGN. Retrieved on 23 July 2016.
- of Christian Whitehead.
- on .