- For other uses of the term, see Chemical Plant Zone (disambiguation).
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Chemical Plant Zone (ケミカルプラント Kemikaru Puranto?, lit. "Chemical Plant") is the second Zone of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. As with most other Zones in this game, the Chemical Plant Zone consists of two standard Acts with a boss fight at the end of Act 2.
Chemical Plant Zone takes place in an industrial city, filled with blue toxic gloop, mechanical creatures, and twisting chemical pipes.
It has many difficult obstacles, often requiring fast reflexes, such as the player having to jump very quickly over the gap. There are still some loops, and other places where the player can gain lots of speed. It is actually possible to outrun the screen sometimes.
High-speed warp tubes, miscellaneous terrain features that suck the player in and deposit them at the other side of the tunnel, wind across the level. These cause no damage nor have any effects other than transportation. Yellow-clad pipes filled with blue chemicals spiral through almost the whole map. They can have very steep drops and may climb after a drop. These can sometimes end badly, such as if one throws the player onto a cliff into the water. To avoid dangers from these, the player should stay alert while moving.
Blocky collections of yellow/purple squares move back and forth periodically. The player must jump onto them and then carefullt jump onto either the other square next to it or solid ground. These require a knowledge of the game physics and quick reflexes. For players who do not have these, the moving squares can be the hardest part of the Zone.
The rising pink chemical liquid during Act 2 sees the water level rising and the only way to escape to land is by climbing up rotating blocks, as explained above. This is a very dangerous segment, as the player is not only at risk of drowning, but also at risk of being crushed by the rotating blocks. However, it is easily avoidable and completely skippable if the right path is taken.
There is also the ever-delightful blue chemical jets; these require very quick reflexes, as they can harm Sonic. They are jets of chemical liquid that shoot from one tube to another, or in a parabolic path. These cannot be destroyed, so just run past them and hope that Sonic doesn't get damaged.
The boss is Dr. Robotnik piloting a floating vehicle that can create sludge "bombs." He will hover over the pink water as his overhead canister fills, then and will drop them on the player once done. If that weren't hazardous enough, the battle is fought on a solid platform surrounded by considerably less solid edge segments. Many people have killed the boss only to die by falling off the bottom of the level on the dropping squares.
- This Zone and Death Egg Zone both use the same tilesets.
- The same rhythm of the background drums in Splash Hill Zone Act 1's music was reused from this Zone's.
- During the credits of Wreck-It Ralph, Sonic can be seen running through Chemical Plant Zone.
- Some Samsung phones feature a game called "Jump Boy", which features the music from Chemical Plant Zone.
- The Chemical Plant Zone appears as a part of the Sonic the Hedgehog Adventure World in Lego Dimensions.
- Chemical Plant is the third-most recurring stage in the Sonic series, behind Green Hill Zone and Seaside Hill.
- This Zone marks the first-ever appearance of the Booster-based gimmicks, which would see much more frequent use in modern titles.
- Chemical Plant, along with Oil Ocean, was one of the two Zones from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 to be remastered in Sonic Mania and Sonic Mania Plus.
|Chemical Plant Zone||2:10||Masato Nakamura|