Cheese (チーズ Chīzu?) is a character that appears in the anime series Sonic X and its comic series published by Archie Comics. He is a Chao owned by Cream the Rabbit, hailing with her to Earth from an unnamed planet in a parallel dimension.[note 1]
Cheese has the appearance of a standard child Chao: they are light blue and have yellow markings at the tip of their head, hands, feet and tail, a bulb-shaped head, dark blue eyes, a floating yellow orb hovering above the top of their head that changes appearance corresponding to their emotions, two pink butterfly-like wings and a small circular tail. They are distinguishable from other Chao by their red bow tie.
Under unknown circumstances, Cheese and Cream were both kidnapped by Doctor Eggman and imprisoned them in his fortress until Sonic arrived to their rescue. After a fight ensued, Chaos Control was accidentally activated, sending Cheese and all of his friends to Earth. In this new world, Cheese along with Cream were found by the government military and were both escorted to Area 99 to conduct research on them. Cheese and Cream both feared as they were being examined but was rescued by Sonic and Tails.
After all of them joined, they help battle Doctor Eggman whenever he caused trouble and havoc to the world and live with Christopher Thorndyke and his family. At the end of Season 2, Cheese and Cream go home, and later help Sonic, Cosmo and the rest of the gang battle the Metarex in Season 3. After Cosmo sacrifices herself, they fail to see Chris go home and declare war on Eggman.
Cheese was first present with Cream cheering Sonic in his race against Sam Speed. The next morning, while having breakfast, he heard that Chris was able to take his friends including Cheese and arrived at the Twelfth National Bank of Station Square to wait in line. Suddenly, Dr. Eggman attacked the bank with his Ben-728 Packratbot, causing Cheese to hide behind a plant with Cream as they watched the robot causing further havoc until Sonic arrived to save the day.
Cheese enjoys playing with Chao, feeling home when being around them and feels sad when not being around them. This is especially the case when Tikal offered Cheese the opportunity to live with her and the other Chao in order to stay with Cream.
Powers and abilities
Like other Chao, Cheese can use his wings for flight. Cheese is also very strong for a creature his size; for example, he can hold objects much larger than him, such as a baseball bat, or knock down a robot several times his size with a single punch to the face. Cream is also capable of performing the Spin Attack, and can perform a powerful combo attack with Cream which can overpower several Metarex foot soldiers at once.
- Amy Rose
- Big the Cat
- Christopher Thorndyke
- Chuck Thorndyke
- Cream the Rabbit (best friend)
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Lindsey Thorndyke
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Mr. Stewart
- Mr. Tanaka
- Nelson Thorndyke
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Sam Speed
- Vanilla the Rabbit
- Dr. Eggman
- King Boom Boo
- Mr. Kinney (when possessed)
- Mrs. Kinney (when possessed)
- In the Japanese version of "Defective Detectives", during the actual end credits (they play during the episode as well), Cheese replaces Amy in the The Shining Road ending. During the episode as the credits are shown while Team Chaotix were recapping Sonic X, the ending song begins then it skips to Cheese.
- In the Sonic X comic series published by Archie Comics, Cheese was referred to as a female in issue 5. During the remainder of the series though, Cheese's gender was re-justified to a male.
- In Sonic X, it is hinted that Cheese somehow knew Chaos, as he rejoices when seeing Chaos and protests when Chaos is called a monster. One possible explanation is that seeing as Chaos was once the 'protector' and leader of all Chao, and was a Chao himself, Cheese could sense his true nature. Cheese also got upset when the others referred to Perfect Chaos as a monster, and later joined the group of Chao that was surrounding Chaos after he calmed down.
- In the Latin Spanish dub of Sonic X, Cheese is named "Queso" (Spanish for "Cheese").
- The world where Cheese comes from is not named in the anime and comics. The comics state, though, that Cheese and his friends traveled across dimensions on a parallel planet, Earth.
- Sonic X #6, "I Never Promised You a Chao Garden Part Two"
- File:Ep.2 eye-catch card 2.jpg
- Sonic X #5, "I Never Promised You a Chao Garden"
- Masaki, Hiro (23 August 2003). "Chaos Control Freaks". Sonic X. Season 1. Episode 1.
- Masaki, Hiro (13 September 2003). "Sonic to the Rescue". Sonic X. Season 1. Episode 2.
- Sonic X #1 "Savings and Groan"