- For the version of this character before the Super Genesis Wave, see Charmy Bee (Pre-Super Genesis Wave).
Charmy Bee is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. He is a mobian bee and the youngest member of the Chaotix Detective Agency, and easily the most hyperactive of them as well.
Charmy Bee is a mobian black-and-yellow striped bee with yellow-and-black striped antennae, translucent sky blue wings on his back, and honey brown eyes. He also has exposed peach skin on his muzzle and arms, and a tiny black nose.
For attire, Charmy wears an orange vest with a bee emblem on the left, a yellow zipper, and a white collar resembling that of a polo shirt. He also wears white and orange shoes cuffed with black rings and topped with yellow zippers, white gloves with similar cuffs, and a black pilot's helmet with a dark pink rim, alongside orange flight goggles.
Charmy and the other Chaotix joined forces with Knuckles the Echidna, Mighty the Armadillo, Heavy, and Bomb to oppose a force of robots built by Dr. Eggman. They later made the acquaintance of Mighty's friend Ray the Flying Squirrel as well, before joining three other teams in doing battle with the evil Metal Overlord.
- Note: Due to the Genesis Wave, Charmy's history from this point were changed to be nearly identical to that of his game counterpart's.
Like the rest of his world and the alternate reality of Earth 20XX, Charmy was caught up in the effects of the second Genesis Wave. Once again he found himself a detective working alongside Espio and Vector, searching for the missing Knuckles, Tails, and Amy at the behest of Sonic. An impatient Charmy left his teammates in search of ice cream, only to be ambushed and captured by the Copy Robot, an agent of Eggman and Dr. Wily. Transformed into the villainous Charmy Man, he joined in an attack by the eight Roboticized Masters against Sonic's team of heroes, including new ally Mega Man. Charmy Man was defeated using Vector Man's Acoustic Blaster-which Mega Man had copied-and then restored to normal by Mega Man's modified Mega Buster. Quickly befriending their new allies-notably Mega Man's dog Rush-Charmy and his teammates then agreed to take off in search of Mega Man's brother Proto Man. Charmy and his allies quickly caught up to Proto Man, who found the trio something of an irritant. They soon arrived at a large monument to Eggman and Wily in the Skull Egg Zone, where their Wily Egg fortress floated to a stop above a teleporter pad that had previously been used to load it. Much to their chagrin, the Chaotix were unable to crack its security code, but remained there as their various allies gathered to join them. A battle soon erupted between the heroes and the doctors' army of Robot Masters, during which Charmy assisted Vector and was menaced by Hornet Man. Undaunted, he continued to fight, taking on Plug Man before being driven into a group with his friends and allies and surrounded. Luckily, help arrived in the form of the Light Robot Masters, and the bolstered heroes continued to fight until the Super Genesis Wave washed over them all. The wave's effects were subsequently undone by Super Sonic, but his restoration of Sonic's World was disrupted by Eggman with grave consequences.
Shattered World Crisis
- Note: From the readers' point of view, this picks up from where Charmy's original timeline ended.
Soon after the Shattered World Crisis began, Charmy and his teammates were hired by Princess Sally to locate the seven Chaos Emeralds. Their adventure led to them crossing paths once again with Knuckles, when they helped him fight off several Dark Gaia Creatures in Pumpkin Hill Zone. The old allies joined forces once again to look for a Chaos Emerald, though Knuckles also proved invaluable in helping Charmy deal with his fear of ghosts inhabiting the area. However, they were then forced to deal with the Hooligans, who had been hired by Eggman to hunt the Chaos Emeralds down for him. Following a brief battle, the groups went their separate ways, with the Chaotix entering the Aquatic Mine Zone to continue their search. Charmy and Vector's antics proved too much for Knuckles to put up with, and he announced his intentions to leave them to their search. However, he then sensed the Chaos Emerald nearby, and all four heroes found it in the possession of a strange-looking creature. Despite Knuckles recognizing the creature as a good spirit meant to help restore the world, the Chaotix only had eyes for the Emerald, and attempted to take it by force. Luckily, Knuckles halted them before they had terrified him too much, and Charmy later gave their new friend a new name to go by: Chip. Unfortunately, the Hooligans soon returned, and both teams were then attacked by a Dark Gaia Titan. The Hooligans proceeded to grab Chip and the Emerald, destroying all apparent exits to the chamber while escaping and leaving the Chaotix and Knuckles at the Titan's mercy. However, Charmy and his friends escaped thanks to Vector's quick-thinking, and Charmy tricked Bean the Dynamite into attacking the Titan. Thanks to the distraction, they were able to recover the Emerald and Chip, entrusting both to Knuckles after he dispatched the Titan.
Soon afterward, Charmy and his team were contacted by Sonic and Sally to discuss a plan to distract Dr. Eggman with a worldwide assault on his empire. Later on, Charmy watched the world get restored by Chip alongside Vector and Espio.
The Case of the Pirate Princess
Charmy is a hyperactive and playful kid who often comes across as scatterbrained, but is loyal to his friends and their work. He is also a very cheerful and friendly bee who treats everyone with perky kindness. He is brave like the rest of the Chaotix and will willingly go into dangerous assignments with them and protect his friends as best as he can.
Powers and abilities
Charmy is capable of apparently perpetual flight, and is constantly in the air. He is also surprisingly strong for his small size, capable of lifting both his larger teammates and flying with them over large distances.
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Mighty the Armadillo
- Ray the Flying Squirrel
- Freedom Fighters
- Guardian Units of the Nation
- Razor the Shark
- Crusher the Chao
- Echo the Dolphin
- Princess Undina
- Eggman Empire
- Dark Gaia
- Pirates of the Setting Dawn
- Sonic Universe #64, "The Great Chaos Caper Part Two: The Usual Suspects"
- Sonic Universe #66, "The Great Chaos Caper Part Four: Water Way To Go!"
- Sonic Universe #92, "The Case of the Pirate Princess Part Two: The Princess was Shanghaied"
- Sonic Universe #93, "The Case of the Pirate Princess Part 3: Strangers On A Ship"
- Knuckles' Chaotix
- Sonic Universe #63, "The Great Chaos Caper Part One: On the Hunt"
- Sonic Heroes
- Sonic Universe #51, "When Worlds Collide Part Two: Mistaken Identities"
- Sonic Universe #52, "When Worlds Collide Part Five: The Advance Guard"
- Mega Man #26, "When Worlds Collide Part Seven: Evening The Odds"
- Sonic Universe #53, "When Worlds Collide Part Eight: Liberation"
- Mega Man #27, "When Worlds Collide Part Ten: No Holds Barred"
- Sonic Universe #54, "When Worlds Collide Part Eleven: Worst of the Worst"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #251, "When Worlds Collide Finale: Best of the Best"
- Sonic Universe #65, "The Great Chaos Caper Part Three: Chip of the Ol' Emerald!"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #269, "Champions Part Two: Climbing the Brackets"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #283, "The Mission"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #287, "Panic In The Sky: Finale - As Was Foretold"