Chaos energy is a force that appear in the Sonic the Comic series published by Fleetway Editions. Chaos energy (also known as Chaos Emerald Radiation) was created by the alien Drakon Empire as an incredibly powerful, yet highly unstable, power source which was infused into the Chaos Emeralds. Chaos energy has been known to have many radical effects, such as causing machinery to malfunction or causing transformations in living beings.
Chaos energy has been shown to be capable of the following feats:
- Absorbing nearly all of the evil from planet Mobius, while in the Retro-Orbital Chaos Compressor
- Transforming the kindly Doctor Ovi Kintobor into Doctor Ivo Robotnik
- Turning Sonic into the demonic Super Sonic
- Powering a massive energy weapon on the Floating Island, capable of destroying the Death Egg II
- Powering an impenetrable forcefield around the whole of the Floating Island, apparently indefinitely
- Granting Doctor Robotnik godlike omnipotence
- Transforming a Drakon prosecutor into the terrifying monster Chaos
Creation and past
Prior to the Great War over 8,000 years ago, the Drakon Empire developed an unstable energy source dubbed "chaos energy" which was too unsafe to use. In their search for vessels for this power, the Drakons discovered the Emeralds from the sacred mine of the Ancient Echidnas on Mobius. The Drakons thus invaded Mobius, took control of the Echidnas' sacred Emerald mines and transferred the chaos energy into seven Raw Emeralds with their technology. This not only stabilized the energy, but gave them the means to control and use it.
Fearing that the Drakons could use the chaos energy to make a thousand Emeralds and conquer the galaxy, Pochacamac stole the seven "Chaos Emeralds". Furious, the Drakons attacked Megopolis City to regain the Emeralds. During the attack, a number of Prosecutors and Sentinels ended up creating Chaos, the product of the unstable chaos energy merging with a captured Drakon. Eventually, the Chaos Emeralds ended up on the Floating Island, protected by Knuckles the Echidna.
For some reason, some of the seven Chaos Emeralds would taking on different properties. The Master Emerald became the largest and most powerful of them all, while the Grey Emerald became the "Control Emerald" with the power to absorb more chaos energy.
Pre-Ruled by Robotnik
Sonic the Hedgehog first learned of chaos energy when he stumbled upon Dr. Ovi Kintobor laboratory. The scientist was using the chaos energy as part of the Retro-Orbital Chaos Compressor, a machine designed to transfer all evil on Mobius into the Chaos Emeralds. Unfortunately, an accident with the ROCC unleashed a tremendous amount of chaos energy, transforming Kintobor into Robotnik and warping the Chaos Emeralds to the Special Zone.
Learning of chaos energy's limitless power, Dr. Robotnik attempted to steal the Chaos Emeralds for himself. However, the heroic Sonic defeated Robotnik and brought the six of the Chaos Emeralds to Kintobor's lab. Because the Emeralds were not in a cold, stable location though, they warped back to the Special Zone. The resultant burst of chaos energy released from the action turned Sonic into the demonic Super Sonic for the first time. From then on, Sonic would turn into Super Sonic when stressed or given too much chaos energy.
Ruled By Robotnik
Robotnik eventually tricked Knuckles into helping him retrieve a second set of Chaos Emeralds, at some point separated from the original seven. Knuckles was able to recombine them, only for Robotnik to absorb the chaos energy, giving him god-like power. Fortunately, Knuckles revealed that the Grey Emerald, thought to be missing, was in his possession and removed the chaos energy from Robotnik before teleporting him away.
Sonic's struggles with his chaos energy poisoning came a head when he fell into the Emerald Chamber, directly absorbing chaos energy from all the Chaos Emeralds. The results made Super Sonic reemerge, but more powerful and maniacal than ever. The Freedom Fighters managed to sent Sonic's excess chaos energy into the Special Zone, only for the chaos energy to gain independence as Super Sonic.
Super Sonic eventually returned to Mobius, only to be left completely depleted of his chaos energy from the attempt. Losing his memory, Super Sonic became friends with Ebony and Pyjamas. With Pyjamas' help, Super regained his memory but continued to be a pacifist, refusing to tap into his powers in fear of turning evil again.
Post-Ruled by Robotnik
Robotnik's second attempt of claiming the chaos energy was much more successful; turned into a god of chaos energy, Robotnik completely changed the timeline, plunging Mobius into misery. Sonic was able to convince Knuckles to use the Grey Emerald on him once more. As Robotnik had become so used to the chaos energy in his body, he seemingly shrunk to nothing when it was removed, although he had actually been sent to the microscopic world of Shanazar.
When Super Sonic began to die when his Chaos energy reserves were running out, he tracked a chaos energy source to Perfect Chaos, who possessed all seven Chaos Emeralds. Despite the dangers, Super leapt inside of Chaos and absorbed his Chaos energy, turning him into a demon once more, but Ebony was able to recombine him with Sonic.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Sonic the Comic #8, "The Origin of Sonic"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Sonic the Comic #27, "Sonic's World - Part 2: A Tale of Tails"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sonic the Comic #49, "Count Down to Disaster, Part 1"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Sonic the Comic #127, "Robotnik Reigns Supreme, Part 1"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Sonic the Comic #181, "The Origin of Chaos!"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #180, "Prisoner of War!"
- ↑ Sonic the Summer Special (1994), "Guardian of the Chaos Emeralds"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Sonic the Comic #36, "Power of the Chaos Emeralds, Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #26, "Sonic's World - "Part 1: Kintobor spelled backwards is...""
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #35, "Power of the Chaos Emeralds, Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #80, "Running Wild, Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #81, "Running Wild, Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #82, "Running Wild, Part 3"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #102, "What Ever Happened to Super Sonic?"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #116, "Hunter & The Hunted, Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #118, "Hunter & The Hunted, Part 3"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #128, "Robotnik Reigns Supreme, Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #129, "Robotnik Reigns Supreme, Part 3"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #130, "Showdown, Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #130, "Showdown, Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #130, "Showdown, Part 3"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #183, "Perfect Chaos!"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #184, "Point of No Return!"