The Chaos Emeralds are objects that appear in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by IDW Publishing. They are seven gemstones from Sonic's world with ties to the Master Emerald that hold incredible power.
Powers and traits
The Chaos Emeralds' power can be harnessed to empower various entities, such as living beings, and power machinery. Harnessing all seven Chaos Emeralds will bestow a person with a Super State, a form that grants increased innate talents and other powers. When Zeena is infected with the Metal Virus, the power of one of the Chaos Emerald is show able to keep the Metal Virus in check by wear the emerald while the infection is still underway.
Sonic and Dr. Eggman have had numerous past encounters that involved them battling for possession of the Chaos Emeralds. The Emeralds have also been used by Sonic to achieve his Super State. At some point, all seven Chaos Emeralds were secured by Dr. Starline for Dr. Eggman.
Battle For Angel Island
Starline eventually presented the Chaos Emeralds to Eggman as his "apprenticeship application", prompting an impressed Eggman to take Starline in as his newest lackey.
For Eggman's new flying fortress, the Faceship, the Chaos Emeralds were used as the ship's power generator. Eggman in particular had the Emeralds fashioned above his throne in the command room of the Faceship to keep them close at hand.
All or Nothing
The Deadly Six managed to take control of the Faceship after Starline invited them onboard and things got out of hand quickly. Zavok decided to distribute each of the Emeralds to the members of the team while leaving one Emerald to power the ship. With this power, the Zeti would be able to control thousands of Zombots instead of random, shambling masses. The Zeti set out into the world, controlling many Zombots and having them infect whoever they wanted.
In Vista View, though Zomom used his heightened abilities to control various Zombots, he was confronted and defeated by Tails and Amy, who then subsequently took his Emerald away from him. In Sunset City, Zeena used her Chaos Emerald to use a upgraded version of her tether manipulation abilities on Gemerl. However, the robot used this against her and, with Cream's help, was able to get the Chaos Emerald away from her. After discovering that Cream had gotten infected by the Metal Virus in the scuffle, Gemerl threw the Chaos Emerald to Angel Island through a Warp Portal so that he would stay behind with his friend.
- The Chaos Emeralds are based on the objects of the same name from the Sonic the Hedgehog video games.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #4, "Fallout, Part 4"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Sonic the Hedgehog #8, "Silent Support"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Sonic the Hedgehog #12, "The Cost of the Battle for Angel Island"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #9, "The Battle for Angel Island, Part 1"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #16, "Infected"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #27, "All or Nothing, Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #5, "The Fate of Dr. Eggman, Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #11, "The Battle for Angel Island, Part 3"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #17, "Plague"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #18, "Victims"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #25, "A Sudden Shift"