The Chaos Crystals, also called the Ancients' Crystals or just Crystals, are objects that appear in the Sonic Boom series. They are a set of eight powerful crystals that belonged to the Ancients. When one of them, named Lyric, sought them to destroy all organic life using the Chaos Crystals, the Ancients hid them away to keep Lyric from obtaining them.
A thousand years later, Lyric returned to claim the Chaos Crystals. Standing up against him though, was Team Sonic who began hunting down the Chaos Crystals as well to stop his plans. After a mad race between the factions, Lyric ultimately got the Chaos Crystals, but Team Sonic stopped him before they could be put to use.
The Chaos Crystals are transparent crystals, twice the size of a basketball. Each comes in a different color and shape, and each of them relate to a specific aspect of nature. The different Chaos Crystals are as follows:
- Shock Crystal: Blue and resembles three rock pillars on one foot.
- Sun Crystal: Yellow and is shaped like a octagonal star with four short points.
- Third crystal: Red and shaped like a heart.
- Radiant Crystal: White and resembles a hexagon with one extra long side.
- Verdant Crystal: Green and shaped like a long octahedron.
- Tidal Crystal: Turquoise and shaped like a rough ring.
- Twilight Crystal: Bluish black with purple tones and shaped like a stalactite
- Sky Crystal: Purple and shaped like a flat triangle.
Powers and traits
The Chaos Crystals are limitless sources of clean and very potent energy; one Chaos Crystal could each power Lyric's Tomb or supply enough energy to create a gigantic rift in the sea for a thousand years, and all together could power the Ancients' vast civilization of technologically advanced cities and facilities. Each Crystal is also able to float in midair under its own power.
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Over a millennium ago, the Chaos Crystals belonged to the Ancients, who used them to harvest all the energy they needed to live in harmony with nature. While attempting to unlock the Crystals' power an Ancient named Lyric fell sick, and when his people's organic medicines failed to cure him he constructed a mechanical suit to keep him alive. Driven insane by the folly of organic lifeforms, Lyric constructed an army of Sentinels to rid the world of all organic life, powered by the Chaos Crystals. When they learned of Lyric's plan however, the Ancients hid the Chaos Crystals in distant outposts and created a map to each of their locations. Lyric eventually found the map, but before he could recover the Chaos Crystals, he was stopped by Sonic and Tails from the future, and imprisoned in a tomb powered by the Shock Crystal.
In Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, Lyric was freed by Team Sonic and plotted to find the Chaos Crystals and reboot his Sentinel army. When Team Sonic learned of Lyric's plan, the group would seek out the Chaos Crystals as well to prevent Lyric's plans. In the beginning, Team Sonic obtained the Shock Crystal and Sun Crystal and the map leading to the remaining ones without major trouble. Meanwhile, Lyric sent out his Driller Worms to look for the Chaos Crystal. Not long after, Team Sonic found the third Crystal after taking it from a Driller Worm. The team soon after found the Radiant Crystal which they used to lure Lyric and Eggman away from the Village. Team Sonic soon after found the Verdant Crystal which they took from Metal Sonic after he stole it. After then getting the Tidal Crystal, the team claimed the Twilight Crystal from Eggman.
When Team Sonic found the final Crystal, the Sky Crystal, they were ambushed by Lyric, who had them hand over their Crystals or he would kill Sonic with his army. Despite the team complying, Lyric still had his robots attack Sonic. Lyric then brought the Crystals to his lair and placed them into four receptors, bringing his Sentinel army online. However, Team Sonic beat Lyric and took the Crystals back from the receptors, foiling Lyric's plans.
List of Chaos Crystals
|Sun Crystal||Abandoned Research Facility||None|
|The Pit||Driller Worm|
|Radiant Crystal||Crater Lake||None|
|Verdant Crystal||Slowpoke Isle||Metal Sonic|
|Tidal Crystal||Ocean Purification Plant||Tunnel-Bot|
|Twilight Crystal||Creeper Gorge||Eggman Mech|
|Sky Crystal||Sky Citadel||None|
- When the player gets some Crystals, their icons appear differently in "Collectibles" on the pause menu.
- The red Crystal has the Tidal Crystals supposed icon.
- The Radiant Crystal has the red Crystal's supposed icon.
- The Tidal Crystal has the Sky Crystal's supposed icon, albeit more triangular in shape.
- The Twilight Crystal has the Radiant Crystal's supposed icon.
- The Sky Crystal has the Twilight Crystal's supposed icon.
- The Chaos Crystals share many similarities with the Chaos Emeralds. Both possess the word "Chaos" in their name, are important story elements and are needed to be collected to progress through the story.