Casinopolis (カジノポリス Kajinoporisu?) is an Action Stage that appears in Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut, and the 2010 remaster of the game. It is the third Action Stage played as Sonic, the second Action Stage as Knuckles, and the second Action Stage as Tails. It is an entertainment center located in the Casino Area of Station Square. As with most other Action Stages in its games, Casinopolis has different level designs for each character, which have three optional missions each.
Located in the Casino Area of Station Square, Casinopolis has many bright lights. It is usually only open at night. The interior of Casinopolis is dominated by the presence of a massive golden Sonic statue. The statue is immediately visible when playing as Knuckles, but for Sonic to view his likeness, he must collect a huge number of Rings and deposit them into the vault of the casino.
Around the main floor of the casino are the vault, an information center, a large shower room, several small slot machines and two pinball machines. Notably, the artwork depicting Sonic, Dr. Eggman, Tails, Amy and Knuckles on the 777 Slots Pinball board uses the character's pre-Sonic Adventure designs. In addition, a large garbage dump is built under the casino and features large fans that are apparently designed to blow garbage out of the way.
On the second floor in Knuckles' version of Casinopolis, the most striking features are the presence of a large mechanical lion's head and model pirate ships complete with a robotic crew.
Sonic the Hedgehog
Miles "tails" Prower
Knuckles the Echidna
In Sonic's version of Casinopolis, there are two large pinball tables where Sonic can earn rings by playing themed pinball games. Large teleporters are located in Casinopolis which force Sonic into a constant Spin Attack as Sonic himself is the pinball to these games. Casinopolis features two pinball tables in total:
- 777 Slots Pinball: A Classic Sonic-themed pinball game with a slot machine as its main feature.
- Card & Pinball: A NiGHTS-themed pinball game with card matching as its main feature.
The pinball machines there are quite different from each other; the NiGHTS machine is based on a five card (poker style) system, and large Ring bonuses are awarded based on card combinations gained while playing pinball (i.e. one pair, two of a kind, three of a kind, etc.), while the Sonic-themed one functions as a giant slot machine with different levels of rewards gained, depending on the combination achieved. The player is given three "balls" after entering either machine. A ball is lost when Sonic falls into the drain and is taken back to the plunger. If the player loses all three balls before gaining at least 100 rings, the machine automatically drops Sonic into the large garbage dump built under the casino. Badniks patrol here, but if one is willing to brave them, massive rewards can be earned. Multiple pathways are available due to the large fans built into the floor, and each path taken contains 10 Rings Item Boxes. Sonic can find several hundred rings down here, at least 400 of which are needed to complete his version of this Action Stage, meaning going down here can even be advantageous. If Sonic has more then one hundred Rings when finishing with the pinball tables however, he will be dropped outside the vault
Curiously, the shower room of the casino have functioning showers where the playable character can wash themselves.
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic's goal in this Action Stage is to deposit at least 400 Rings into the vault by breaking the machines and playing pinball. This will form a golden mountain which he can scale to reach the white Chaos Emerald sitting on a ledge far above.
Miles "Tails" Prower
Tails is only allowed to play in the garbage area of the casino, racing Sonic through the neon-lit pathways and trying to reach the silver Chaos Emerald before his friend does.
Knuckles the Echidna
When Knuckles travels through the stage, he gains access to the second floor, but subsequently loses access to the garbage area. His goal in this level is to find three shards of the Master Emerald, which may call for the destruction of the Sonic statue as a shard may be hidden inside.
Other game appearances
Sonic Pinball Party
In Sonic Pinball Party, Casinopolis serve as the main setting. In this game, Dr. Eggman has organized the Egg Cup Tournament, which was attended, among others, by Knuckles and Metal Sonic. Sonic himself entered the tournament to save his friends, including Tails and Amy, who had been brainwashed by Eggman.
In other media
In the anime series Sonic X, Casinopolis is one of the locations in Station Square. In this media, Knuckles found a Master Emerald shard here that had crashed into the entrance to the building, causing the police to intervene and secure the area.
Books and comics
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Casinopolis is a casino located in Station Square. Originally, Casinopolis was used as a front by Dr. Eggman in order to replace the patrons with Auto Automatons after scanning their minds with the slot machines. However, the Chaotix put a stop to this scheme.
After the Super Genesis Wave rebooted the multiverse, Casinopolis and its history became virtually identical to its game counterpart's. During the Shattered World Crisis, many residents got trapped here due to the floods caused by the crisis until they were rescued by the Freedom Fighters.
- On the roof, there are four screens (which can be seen only playing as Knuckles) showing fuzzily the Artwork of Sonic in this game and other things of the same.
- There is an unused tunnel that can be accessed in Dilapidated Way using Debug Mode.
- The progress meter, when playing as Tails, is almost completely useless here, as multiple paths can be taken. This often results in one character suddenly appearing to gain a significant distance.
- In the original Japanese version of Sonic Adventure, there is a neon sign depicting a cowgirl that made suggestive noises when hit in Knuckles' version of the stage. It was removed in later versions due to its rather provocative nature, showing the cowgirl half-dressed and holding alcohol.
- Even that was toned down from a prototype version of the Casinopolis lobby, which showed the cowgirl as a full-fledged bunny girl lying on her side and gesturing to a liquor bar behind her with the wine glass.
- Through the use of various glitches, it is possible for E-102 Gamma and Amy Rose to enter Casinopolis.
- This level marks NiGHTS' first appearance outside of NiGHTS' home series and the first of many NiGHTS appearances in the Sonic series.
- In the Dreamcast version of the game, if the player stands inside the entrance to Casinopolis but not long enough for the game to load the Action Stage, the camera slowly pans up to the Casinopolis sign where it locks in place until the player leaves.
|"The Dreamy Stage ...for Casinopolis"||Fumie Kumatani, Kenichi Tokoi||2:14|
|"Blue Star ...for Casinopolis"||Kenichi Tokoi||1:35|
|"Dilapidated Way ...for Casinopolis"||Jun Senoue||2:09|