The Buzzbomber (created 3235) is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. It is a hornet-based Classic Badnik created by Dr. Robotnik and later by Dr. Eggman during the reset world created by the Genesis Wave. They were once among the primary fighting force, in addition to SWATbots.
Buzzbomber was first seen aiding Dr. Robotnik while he was trying to capture Sonic the Hedgehpg with his giant checker ball. He gave sonic five seconds to before they would crush him. Sonic eventually got a Power Ring from the Ring well and threw in back at him crushing his Egg Mobile. Robotnik retreated with Buzzbomber carrying him back to Robotropolis say that it was a rather "fat" order. Later activities included taking Princess Sally to a "meeting" with Robotnik, aiding Bat Brain in guarding a blimp, and informing Robotnik of Sonic being Roboticized, which later turned out to be false.
Buzzbomber swarms were planned to attack anyone that tried to flee from the Krudzu, which eventually was destroyed by a thunder storm, aid other badniks in attacking a concert hall, attack Antoine D'Coolette's balloon only to get mud dumped on them during a second assault, and ambush what they thought was a wedding between Sonic and Sally, until it was discovered that it was really a play.
One clumsy Buzzbomber accidentally enlarged a salamander into Universalamander, joined Orbinaut in using Tails as target practice, racing Antoine at the Olympics who was losing, but eventually won when Sonic confused him with smoke, and attempting to sting Sonic and Sally at a toxic waste dump, which had them crash into a mountain, before ultimately winding up at the Robo Hobo Jungle.
Island of Misfit Badniks
Years later, Buzzbomber was seen at the Island of Misfit Badniks. He ended up being drenched after Sonic and Pseudo-Sonic sank the island, but he turned out to be waterproof as he was functionally normal when he had fought the Forty Fathom Freedom Fighters in order to keep them from stopping Pseudo-Sonic's enlargement. Under Caterkiller's command, he was part of the last wave of fighters. Unfortunately, his stinger couldn't pierce Bivalve's shell, and was knocked away by Pseudo-Sonic's arm. Big Fluke then crushed all of the robots and the island into a cube.
The Buzzbombers reappeared in Marble Zone during the events of Operation: Clean Sweep, except in this reality they were created by and serving under Dr. Eggman. It was first seen being reprogrammed and repaired by Boomer after Sonic destroyed a bunch of Badniks. In order for it to work, it needed a Mobini inside of it, so Sally asked a nearby Flicky, and it agreed to help. Sonic and the Buzzbomber then started destroying other Badniks, including more Buzzbombers and a Caterkiller, but Sally, Boomer, and Antoine got left behind and stranded on a small piece of land sinking in lava. Sonic and the Buzzbomber went back to rescue them, and Sonic carried Sally while both Antoine and Boomer held onto the Buzzbomer. After saving them, Dr. Eggman introduced himself to them, and a fight ensued between him and Sonic. Before Dr. Eggman could hit Sonic, Buzzbomber attacked Dr. Eggman, who, in turn, destroyed the Badnik, but Sally called the Flicky very brave followed by Sonic telling her to tell the Flicky that he owed it one.
- Note: From this point, the Buzzbombers' history continues from their new life in the altered timeline.
Powers and abilities
Buzzbomber is capable of flight, and can shoot at foes with its stinger. The stinger itself is as sharp as a needle. Fortunately, they are weaker than most badniks (Tails crushed them with his tails once).
- Buzzbomber is based off the Buzz Bomber who debuted on both the Sega Mega Drive and Game Gear version of Sonic the Hedgehog (1991). The comic design was also used in the Sonic the Hedgehog television series by their counterparts largely due to the fact that bees/wasps/hornets/dragonflies are not blue.
- Sonic called Buzzbomber a mutant dragonfly in a dream once.
- E.V.E. engaged Sonic for the second time in the form of an advanced Buzzbomber. She was defeated then by flying into a cliff wall before she could stop in time while chasing Sonic.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog "#0, "Don't Cry for Me, Mobius!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog "#1, "Run, Sally, Run!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog "#2, "A Crowning Achievement"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog "#3, "Why Ask Spy?"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #1, "Meet Me at the Corner of Hedgehog & Vine!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #8, "A Little Sonic Goes A Long Way"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #10, "Twan With the Wind"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #18, "Wedding Bell Blues!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #4, "The Lizard of odd!"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #4, "Tails' Little Tale"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #5, "Olympic Trials and Errors"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #40, "Court-martial"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #170, "The Island of Misfit Badniks!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #185, "Misfit Badniks: The Soggy, Salty Sequel"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #226, "Genesis Part One: In the Beginning..."