Don't forget--if you try to beat the house, the house beats you.
— Breezie the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog #268
Breezie the Hedgehog is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. She is a mobian hedgehog and businesswoman, who is the head of her own media empire. She once joined forces with Dr. Eggman and allowed herself to be used in a plot to keep tabs on Sonic the Hedgehog during one of his adventures. She later severed ties with the doctor, going on to found Breeze Media.
Breezie is a slightly-taller-than-average female mobian hedgehog with green fur and purple irises. She has long quill gatherings with blue highlighted tips that fall behind her head, resembling long hair, and has two smaller and curved bangs of quills on her forehead. She also has purple irises, peach skin and a short black snout. She wears a red dress with red high heels, a white undershirt, yellow buttons, and white gloves being held together by yellow cuff rings. She appears to wear makeup, having purple eyelids and, in her initial appearance, red lipstick. She has also been seen wearing glasses.
Breezie first met Sonic the Hedgehog some years back when Sonic "rescued" her from the Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad, after which he temporarily became her traveling companion. However, it would prove to be a trap laid by Dr. Eggman, with Breezie eventually revealing that she had been informing him of Sonic's whereabouts throughout his adventures during his confrontation with the prototype Silver Sonic. When confronted about her choice and how it endangered Sonic's friend Tails, Breezie responded that her own future would be secured by Eggman, from whom she later severed ties. Breezie eventually became owner of Breeze Media, the largest entertainment network in the world, and established herself in Casino Park, which was built not by Eggman, but by Neo Metal Sonic. During this time, she showed an attraction towards the robot, noting how similar they were in that they were both trying to get out of under the shadow of Eggman. Her operation was bolstered by the fact that Eggman began selling her his old robots, which she turned to use as her staff. She also billed herself as having risen from a rough childhood to success.
Shattered World Crisis
During the Shattered World Crisis, Breezie came into possession of a Chaos Emerald, which was found by her former captors turned henchmen of the 6S Team. After hearing their suggestions as to offering it to the highest bidder or creating a true empire from her media holdings, she combined the ideas and decided to organize a competition to determine who would obtain it from her. Her advertisements drew in a number of contenders, including the Hooligans, Honey the Cat, and members of the Freedom Fighters. Shortly before the Chaos Emerald Championship began, Coconuts approached her with concern over broadcasting the fact that the Chaos Emerald in her possession was the prize, but she brushed off his concerns. Eggman later contacted her to demand that she turn the Emerald over to him, but she knew of his strained resources and informed him that he would have to get it her way if he wanted it. The doctor attempted to buy the Emerald from Breezie, who refused based on the publicity of her tournament, and further reminded Eggman that he would hate to see his robots fighting each other. She also accepted the application of the Freedom Fighters, but only allowed Sonic, Amy Rose, and Tails to compete, though she agreed to let Sonic compete only in the daytime after he threatened to walk away. Her underlings later informed her of Knuckles the Echidna's illegal addition to the tournament roster, but she allowed it excitedly thinking it could make for a more "interesting show."
As the tournament commenced, Breezie found herself marveling over the fact that Sonic had managed to triumph despite her earlier betrayal, but amused that she could still manipulate him. Her manipulation of the tournament roster-or allowing it to be manipulated as in Knuckles' case-became evident to several of the competitors as the tournament progressed, notably Espio the Chameleon and Nack the Weasel. She later watched the final match between Sonic and Knuckles, which was interrupted as the Hooligans sabotaged Casino Park's defenses. This allowed Metal Sonic to break in and make an attempt to steal the Chaos Emerald, only to be thwarted by the two heroes and their allies in the tournament. Metal Sonic was forced to flee, and the Freedom Fighters ended up with the Chaos Emerald. However, Breezie's goals were accomplished, and she even signed an exclusive deal with Honey the Cat to provide clothes for her staff. The cat questioned Breezie regarding her actions, as the Freedom Fighters had very nearly lost the Emerald and with it the means of restoring the shattered planet. Breezie simply retorted that the lapse in security, while unfortunate, had provided quite a display to boost her business, and reminded Honey of her own trickery during the tournament.
Breezie is rather audacious, unconcerned of the idea of advertising her valuable Chaos Emerald as a prize for her fighting tournament to attract competitors. She is also quite confident and unnerved in the face of demands and treats, though when she finds her demands or desires turned against her, she can be quite scary.
Sinister, yet flirty, her primary motivation appears to be how she can best advance her own situation, regardless of who might have to suffer for it. She possesses a rather amoral view of things, caring nothing for "good" or "evil" but thinking only in terms of her own betterment.
Sonic the Hedgehog
Breezie tends to flirt with Sonic once in a while, although this may just be an attempt to annoy Sonic or make Amy jealous rather than being an actual attraction.
Breezie has demonstrated an admiration of Metal Sonic's desire to strike out on his own, a goal that she shared.
- Breezie is based on the character of the same name who was first featured in the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series, where she was a robot constructed to lure Sonic into a trap, but she developed morality and converted to good. This is a strong contrast to this version of Breezie, who appears to be an organic being and never truly reformed after abandoning Eggman.
- Breezie is the first character from the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series to be introduced in the Archie Comics properly and not in an Off Panel strip since Pseudo-Sonic who first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog #9.
- Breezie's role in the comics is similar to Mammoth Mogul's late role in the pre-Super Genesis Wave timeline, where he ran a casino in Casino Night Zone and had employed the Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad as minions.
- Aleah Baker had confirmed that there were "long-term plans" for Breezie prior to the comic's cancellation.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Sonic the Hedgehog #267 - "Champions! Part One: The Gang's All Here"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #269, "Champions Part Two: Climbing the Brackets"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Sonic the Hedgehog #270, "Champions Part Three: Raising the Stakes"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #271, "Champions Finale: The One Left Standing"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #267 - "Ambushed! - Part Two"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #287, "Panic in the Sky Part Four: Finale - As Was Foretold"
- ↑ Aleah Baker (19 January 2016). Lea's Unimportant Farewell to BK Q&A!. BumbleKing Comics. Archived from the original on 8 February 2016.