Blaze the Cat (ブレイズ・ザ・キャット Bureizu za Kyatto?) is a character in the Sonic the Hedgehog series, created by Sonic Team and owned by Sega. She made her first appearance in the Nintendo DS video game, Sonic Rush.
Blaze is a princess and the guardian of the Sol Emeralds, a role similar to that held by Knuckles. She is sometimes referred to as a queen; She is called "Queen Blaze the Cat" on the official Sega of America Sonic mini site, Sonic Central, as well as the Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) game website. However, in Japanese, her title is 皇女 kōjo, which translates as "imperial princess," (she is also called princess in Sonic Rush Adventure).
She wears gloves similar to those worn by Sonic, only there's fuzzy lining on the cuffs. Her shoes have the same motif as Sonic's, but they have fuzzy lining and are high-heeled. She also wears a purple robe, lined at the neck with gold (possibly a necklace) and at the bottom with magenta, and a pair of white tights. She has a ponytail, and a jewel-like red orb is present on her forehead.
All that is known about Blaze's past is that she is the royal Princess of an alternate dimension. When she was younger she was teased by others because of her pyrokinetic abilities, which is why she wears a cape to hide her flames. She was born with the power of flames and called it a "curse". Because of being teased she is a shy, harsh and withdrawn character. She lived in a way similar to Knuckles. She has always been guarding the Sol Emeralds but never understood their true power. Throughout the course of Sonic Rush she had understood their power thanks to Sonic.
In Sonic Rush, Blaze's dimension and Sonic the Hedgehog's are in flux with one another, allowing the characters to travel from one to the other through a tear in the space-time continuum. Blaze is the only playable character in Sonic Rush aside from Sonic himself.
In her world, Blaze was the appointed guardian of the Sol Emeralds, a duty that isolated her from the companionship of others, as did her pyrokinesis. She came to believe that she never had to rely on anyone else, which led to her often carrying the weight of the world on her own shoulders. Her arch-foe in her world was Eggman Nega.
When Doctor Eggman came to her world and stole the Sol Emeralds, the Sol Emeralds summoned her through the space-time tear that lead to Sonic's world, where she set about recovering the Emeralds from him. Early on this mission she encountered Cream the Rabbit, who immediately took on the role of Blaze's guide and close friend, despite Blaze's misgivings. Blaze was surprised at the openness and naivety of the young rabbit, especially when she was invited into Cream's house almost immediately after meeting her for the first time. Cream set about teaching Blaze the meaning of friendship. They encountered several of Cream's friends (including Knuckles and Amy), who all suggested that Blaze ask Sonic for help. However, she was so convinced that she needed no help that when she and Sonic did actually cross paths, she attacked him. After a brief battle, she admitted her mistake.
After the battle she gained the last of the Sol Emeralds. However, just as she had recovered from her victory, Eggman appeared and snatched Cream. Angered, Blaze pursued Eggman to a strange realm and defeated his giant robot. After searching frantically through the robot's ruins, she found Cream and the two left, presuming Eggman was defeated.
Having collected all the Sol Emeralds, Blaze was surprised that their power did not return her and them to her world. As she was contemplating this, Eggman and Eggman Nega appeared in a giant mech. Blaze fought them, but they easily defeated her and drained the power of the Sol Emeralds. Hopeless about her plight, Blaze was surprised when Sonic showed up. He told her that the true power of the chaos Emeralds and Sol Emeralds came from people's friendship and encouraged her to open up to other people and recognize the friends she made on her journey. Finally appreciating the value of friendship, and the need to accept help from others from time to time, Blaze began to realize the true power of the Sol Emeralds, recharging them and for the first time used their power to transform into Burning Blaze, her super form. As Burning Blaze, she and Super Sonic successfully stopped Eggman and Eggman Nega from taking over the universe, and at the same time repairing the tear in the space-time continuum and once again separating their worlds. Afterward, she and Sonic promise to see each other again and say their goodbyes as they shake hands, being torn apart by their respective dimensions being returned to normal.
On the path back to her dimension, she discovered that Sonic had given her a hologram device with a recording of Sonic, who said he felt sure they would meet again, on it. Reassured, she headed back to her world.
Saving The Future
Blaze appears in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). In this game, she hails from the future. In the future, she constantly fights Iblis, along with the new character, her best friend Silver the Hedgehog. As a pyrokinetic in a world of psychokinetics, she was constantly teased and shunned by other children, with Silver being the only one who accepted her for who she was.
Blaze the Cat follows Silver throughout the game, who shows signs of insecurity when she is not around. She seems to talk to Silver more than anyone else. At the end of Silver's story, Silver tries to seal Iblis inside of his soul, but the Flames of Disaster won't accept him as the vessel. Blaze ends up sealing Iblis inside her soul, and begs Silver to use Chaos Control to seal them into another dimension. Silver refuses to because he says he could never do that to her, and that he doesn't know what he would do without her. Blaze replies, "You're still so naive. But, I...I've always liked that about you..." as she disappears and floats towards the sky in to another dimension. She then says, "Good luck, Silver." and drifts away. Later, Sonic and the others destroy Solaris in past, present, and future, which erases the events of the game from history, meaning Blaze still exists. And that Blaze's and Silver's meeting never existed thus meaning that they do not know each other.
Strangely, Blaze doesn't appear to help fight Solaris, even though this could be to have only seven characters to find the Chaos Emeralds. This could imply that she wasn't affected by the change in the timeline. This theory isn't confirmed, however
Blaze returns in Sonic Rush Adventure once again as the only playable character apart from Sonic. She appears to stop Captain Whiskers, a robotic pirate, from stealing the mystical Jeweled Scepter, which is acclaimed to have the power to control her world's geological activities. Blaze bumps into Sonic, both of them surprised and slightly excited to see each other. It is revealed that Sonic has entered Blaze's dimension. In the end, after Super Sonic and Burning Blaze defeat Eggman and Eggman Nega, Tails creates a way for he and Sonic to return to their universe. Before Sonic's departure, he and Blaze shake hands once again, to signify respect and their growing friendship. Blaze also comforts Marine, who is also saddened about the heroes departure.
Blaze takes on the persona of Sir Percival in Sonic and the Black Knight. She is the last Knight of the Round Table Sonic will fight. During their fight, she falls from a high cliff, and Sonic and Caliburn save her just in time. She is initially confused as to why Sonic saved her, as it is customary to kill an opponent after defeating them in battle. Sonic says that "whim is [his] other master" (the first being the wind, as he stated prior to the duel). Caliburn tells them to "save the hugs and kisses for later," causing her to blush as if she liked Sonic. Sonic's defeat of Percival is what finally earns him Caliburn's respect and the official title of "Knight of the Wind". After Merlina spreads dark magic in the second half in the game, Percival goes off to put her sword in the shrine. She thinks Sonic is kidding at first when he explains his plan, but when she sees he means what he says, she bids him good luck. Despite only being Blaze's counterpart , she can use fire. She is referred to as "Sir Percival" in-game, even though she is clearly female, since "Sir" is an honorific used by all knights regardless of gender (the term "Dame" only applies within the orders of chivalry).
Blaze appears in Sonic Rivals and its sequel Sonic Rivals 2 but only as one of the game's collectible cards.
In Sonic and the Secret Rings, Blaze is a playable character in party mode. She's unlocked when the player collects 105 Fire Souls in the adventure mode. However, she has no relation to the main story.
While not being a part of the storyline, Blaze appears as an unlockable racer. Her type of character is Speed and she also bears an outfit similar to her Olympic Games appearance. She's the only unlockable female Speed type racer. She is unlocked by beating the babylon story in story mode. Her Extreme Gear is called Flame Lance. It can grind on rails meaning that it is Speed Type. Her Gear Info is:
- 'Blazes Gear (Unknown Creator) has its majestic design for the elegant Princess who rides it.'
Blaze spectates the match from the sideline in the Green Hill Zone court.
Blaze also appeared as one of trophies and Stickers. Trophy Description
|Trophy||90px||A princess from another dimension and guardian of the Sol Emeralds, also known as Blaze The Cat. Blaze is calm but often seems to be dealing with some inner turmoil. She's also extremely hard on herself, and as a result, she comes across as somewhat shy. She learns to open up after meeting Sonic and his crew and can use the Sol Emeralds to become Burning Blaze.|
|Sticker||Sonic Rush||Shield Recovery +7|
Blaze appears as a well-balanced playable character in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. Her outfit is not her "princess clothes", instead she wears sports clothing. Blaze is an "All-Around" character who excels in Speed.
Her athlete's uniform is changed to fit the winter climate, which appears to be a variant of her normal outfit (her coat exposes less of her at the front than with the normal outfit). She is still an All-Around type character who excels speed. Blaze's signature move for the Wii and DS version is Quick Tornado and for the DS version, Quick Slide.
|70px||Blaze the Cat||All-Around||
Blaze appears in the DS version of Sonic Colors as a non-playable character in Sweet Mountain Zone. She first appears in mission 2-1, where she explains that the Sol Emerald she was holding started to glow and she was transported there. Her mission is for Sonic to destroy 20 Eggman Robots. The second time she appears is with Silver, who are both being challenged by Orbot and Cubot. They scare the robots away with their fire and psychic power. Then, they ask Sonic to test out a ride for his mission, which is timed. They thank Sonic for testing it out and Sonic leaves. If an S-Rank is achieved on the mission, Tails suggests that the two may have been partners at one time due to their sync with each other. This is a reference to Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).
Sonic the Hedgehog (comics)
In Blaze's first appearance, Sonic finds her in captivity after she was captured by a group of SWATbots outside of Knothole. At first hostile to the "Blue One", Blaze eventually realized Sonic meant her no harm after their brief battle ended and he offered his friendship. Blaze vanished soon after, promising to haunt Sonic's dreams as he'd haunted hers. She later assisted Sonic, Tails and Marine in battling Captain Whiskers, Johnny and Dr. Nega to retrieve a Chaos Emerald. In her next encounter with someone from Mobius Prime, she worked with Shadow and Marine to defeat Metal Sonic.
Blaze is somewhat shy and withdrawn when meeting strangers. Depending on the game, the reasons for this varies. In Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), it mentions when Blaze was young, she was teased by others because of her pyrokinetic abilities, which is the reason why she wears a cape to hide her flames. Because of being teased and having no friends, plus the fact that no one would respect her or help her, she could not understand true friendship.
In Sonic Rush, it's explained that Blaze is the way she is, due to the fact that she's a princess and the guardian of the Sol Emeralds, duties that isolated her from the companionship of others. Along with her pyrokinesis, this is also why she had a harsh habit to do tasks by herself. She is so strict and hard-nosed about it, that when Sonic wanted to defeat Dr. Eggman and Dr. Eggman Nega as well, she started berating him, eventually leading Sonic and herself to a battle with each other. Towards the end of their fight, she claimed that her flames were a curse, which was why she must defeat both Eggman and Eggman Nega all by herself, "I have to live with my curse... My flames... Because of my powers I have always been alone! So thats' why I must do this alone! I have to do this myself!". But later, because of Sonic, she had realized that her flames were not a curse, and instead, a gift. During in the ending of Sonic Rush, she says to herself, "Now I understand. I am inherent with the power of flames..." then she remembered Sonic's words within her mind.
Her lifestyle is incredibly similar to Knuckles, meaning Blaze is as anti-social and as shy as he is, and often finds it hard to open up and talk to people. She suspects anyone who even looks at the Sol Emeralds in the wrong way. Blaze can be rough and impatient to almost anyone who tries to get in her way. Throughout the course of Sonic Rush, she develops a more friendly and gentle personality, thanks to Sonic, Cream and their other friends. Blaze has also shown to be polite at times. For example, when she passes a rival in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, she says "Sorry" also in the beginning of Sonic Rush Adventure when Marine drags Blaze around for an adventure, she says "Oh dear!".
In Sonic Rush Adventure, she is shown to be very honest and almost blunt when dealing with Marine the Raccoon and her antics (at one point telling her that she is a nuisance, something that Sonic and Tails may have been thinking, but didn't want to tell her). Blaze is not much of a girlish character, which might explain why she seems tomboyish, is quiet, harsh, and less passionate. Her tomboyish side might be one of the reasons why she is Sir Percival in Sonic and the Black Knight.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) game spreadsheet it is mentioned:"She has a rather unique costume on under her cape, and it also seems that she is bothered by underendowed [sic] chest (comments on which will rouse her anger)."
- Blaze has super speed, but not faster than the Speed of Sound like Sonic, easily seen in multiplayer mode, in which the two players race to the end of an act. Blaze relies more on her power to reach higher places to win. It should be noted that Blaze runs at high speed with slow-paced strides.
- While in her super form, she can generate fireballs with her pyrokinesis, which she is able to throw.
- Blaze turns into a tornado when jumping, similar to Espio in Knuckles Chaotix, and doesn't keep speed or go faster.
- Her pyrokinesis seems unaffected by water, as she still could turn into flame tornado while submerged.
- Blaze can raise pillars of fire from the ground (as seen in the Blaze versus Sonic battle in Sonic Rush) and burn her opponent.
- Blaze appears to be fairly acrobatic.
- Although it's never been officially confirmed, Blaze is able to use Chaos Control, as she did to transport herself to another dimension along with Iblis, as Silver was unable to do it.
- In Sonic Rush, she appears in front of Sonic in a burst of flame to take the blue Sol Emerald. This could be teleportation and may or may not be related to Chaos Control (or some form of Sol Control as she has Sol Emeralds).
- She can surround herself in flames and attack the opponent, similar to the Super Sonic Boost.
- She can transform into Burning Blaze with the power of all seven Sol Emeralds.
It takes a while for Blaze to trust other people as shown in Sonic Rush, which slowly displays her gradual trust of both Sonic and Cream. Blaze prefers to work alone but this can sometimes lead her to trouble.
Blaze also has a short temper which can also lead her to trouble and she can get easily angered by Eggman Nega as shown in the scene of Sonic Rush Adventure where Doctor Eggman and Eggman Nega power-up there Egg Wizard at Deep Core using the Jeweled Scepter.
Blaze is also afraid of heights. In Sonic Rush she admits that she was kind of afraid of heights and felt sick and dizzy after flying for a short time with Cream the Rabbit. Later in Sonic Rush Adventure she showed signs of being afraid of heights (as she seems afraid to go to Sky Babylon) and she didn't want to admit it in front of Sonic, Tails, and Marine, though it only happened in one cut-scene (when she was near the edge). Though she doesn't say it herself, Gardon says that she's terrified of heights.
Blaze is also rumored that she might have a phobia of water since she couldn't swim like Sonic in the Sonic Rush Games and it is said that most cats are afraid of Water (and the fact she controls fire). However this could be false since in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games she could swim without a life jacket, unlike Sonic who is scared of water himself.
Blaze also has a few luck problems in her life from encountering her fear of heights to being dragged around by a little girl, like Cream and Marine (although in her case, Blaze found her irritating to begin with).
Interactions with other Characters
- For Blaze's interpersonal relationships in the Archie Comics series, see Blaze the Cat (Archie).
Although she is somewhat shy and quiet, Blaze has managed to make some very worthwhile friends in her ventures around her.Dr. Eggman for the first time, Cream had surprised her by hiding. Blaze was a little hostile, but Cream instead walked up towards her and invited her to her house, along with her mother, Vanilla the Rabbit. Blaze thought this to be calmingly eerie about the way they would treat a stranger. Cream then agreed to show Blaze around, starting their adventure, acting similar to Tails in the Sonic campaign. Throughout, Blaze was only focused on collecting all of the Sol Emeralds but as they travel, Blaze soon feels a bond, seeing Cream as a little sister, and she was very worried about Cream's safety after she destroyed the Eggman robot that captured Cream and briefly thought Cream had been consumed in the explosion, causing her to frantically search the robot's wreckage before she found Cream had used her flying powers to escape the explosion. Even when Blaze left to her own dimension, they had hinted on missing each others' company.
Blaze was told by many people to team up with Sonic for her quest. However, believing that she could handle everything by herself, Blaze became affronted by this. When Sonic appeared, he refused to let her battle Eggman alone (Eggman at the time possessed the final Sol Emerald), Blaze became angry and attacked Sonic instead. After the battle (which was never conclusively settled, since in either story it ends while the other character still retains one life point), Blaze came to realize that Sonic was not her enemy. They became friends, as Blaze had learned that it was okay to accept help from friends. Later, when Dr. Eggman and Eggman Nega team up, Sonic and Blaze team up. Although she loses faith in herself, Sonic cheers her up, and because Blaze regains faith and learns the power of true friendship she can now transform into Burning Blaze with Sonic the Hedgehog into Super Sonic. After the fight, they had a moment to give their good-byes, Blaze had thanked Sonic and the two made a promise that they'll meet again, the two shook their hands and had separated. The ending shows Burning Blaze flying back to her world speaking to herself realizing that her flames weren't a curse but a gift, when she was thinking about it she remembered Sonic talking to her saying that she has learned the power of the Sol Eneralds and she is inhereted with the power of flames, he then says "And Blaze now you have the power! You know what I mean, right?", Blaze smiles and says once again to her imagination of Sonic, that she'll see him again.
In their next meeting, Sonic ends up in her dimension, along with Tails. This time, they work together as allies to stop the doctors' plans. After defeating the doctors in Deep Core, Blaze then tells Sonic that maybe the Emeralds brought Sonic here as if it were destiny. Sonic replied by saying "Who knows?!" Blaze smiles and pulls out her hand to shake hands with him, both shook hands like they did before and the two left each other again.
Blaze and Knuckles met when Cream saw Knuckles and greeted him, and though Cream wanted Blaze to be friends with Knuckles, it didn't work out right. First Blaze and Knuckles were too shy and secondly when Knuckles saw Blaze holding a few Sol Emeralds, he mistook them for Chaos Emeralds. So he gave Blaze advice to give them to Sonic. Blaze gets angry at Knuckles and tells him that she has no Chaos Emeralds. Knuckles thinks she was lying and was going to punch her, but Blaze dodges and clobbers Knuckles, knocking him out and leaving him lying in a crevice. Then Knuckles wanted revenge against Blaze though Blaze and Cream got away and then Cream said to Blaze, "Don't take this the wrong way Blaze, but Knuckles is a really nice guy" then Blaze says "Thank you!" in relief. Also, since Knuckles probably now knows what Blaze is, he doesn't seem to show any dislike for her in the last boss-fight in Sonic Rush.
They met when Blaze was telling Cream that she doesn't need Sonic's help then Blaze said, "Besides this Sonic sounds like...." Then Amy showed up and said "Sonic-Where is Sonic?!!!" Blaze was a bit angry at Amy budging her lines then Cream calmed her down and introduced Amy. Amy noticed Blaze and thought that Blaze was in love with Sonic and even asked Blaze if she liked him. Blaze was upset (meaning that she dislikes love discussions) and said "No, what I am seeking are the Sol Emeralds, I really couldn't care less about anyone called Sonic". Amy then befriends Blaze and later sticks up for her when Knuckles is searching for Blaze to get back at her.
Silver and Blaze are friends in the future. The two have been battling the evil Iblis together, and searched for the Iblis trigger together. As they travel through the present, they both make it a priority to find the Iblis Trigger. As she supported Silver, even when she wasn't there, she eventually sealed Iblis inside her instead of inside Silver. Before Blaze was transported to another dimension, however, Silver is still unsure if he wants Blaze to vanish to another dimension, but Blaze leaves even with Silver's disapproval and wishes Silver luck in his new life without the Iblis and herself, her last line was "You're still so naive, but I... I've always liked that about you". After the defeat of Solaris, the time line has been erased and it's unknown if Silver and Blaze still know each other. Evidence in Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, and the two Sonic Rivals which neither of them talk about each other.
Blaze first met Tails with Sonic when they were searching for her. They both don't see each other much, but after her fight against Sonic was finished, Tails tried to convince Blaze to stop fighting and to believe in Sonic so she can rest. She was going to take that into consideration and thanked him for it, but she insisted in fighting Dr. Eggman herself. In Sonic Rush Adventure, Blaze finds Tails to be a valuable ally, even when it comes to machines and sea crafts.
The two were allies in Sonic Rush Adventure, Blaze kind of disliked Marine at first and before they depart in the Aqua Blast. Blaze thinks that Marine should stay behind, but then Marine complains about this. Then, Blaze had no choice but to let Marine come if Marine promises stay with the group of course, then before Sonic, Tails, and Blaze depart to Pirates island to unlock the door and finish off the pirates, they decided to leave Marine behind this time though Marine doesn't accept this and she complains once again and then Blaze confesses to Marine that she is a nuisance. After Sonic and Blaze saves Marine from the Ghost Titan and defeats it, Blaze is disappointed at Marine for sneaking on the Deep Typhoon to come to Pirates island which would've put her in grave danger then Marine reveals to Blaze that she retrieved the Jeweled Scepter from the pirates. Blaze thanks Marine for this and now Blaze learns to like and befriends with Marine. At the end of Sonic Rush Adventure Blaze comforts Marine who is sad about Sonic and Tails's departure and now they look at the sky hoping to see them again.
Blaze's most evil foe is Eggman Nega. Blaze hated Eggman Nega for ruining her life by threatening her kingdom and people, taking her Jeweled Scepter and Sol Emeralds, and her friends. Their relationship could be said to be similar to Sonic and Eggman. Blaze is quick to anger whenever Eggman Nega says and does whatever that is evil to Blaze such as what Nega said in Sonic Rush Adventure "It will only take the fraction of this power to wipe your kingdom off your charts!" Since Eggman Nega has appeared in the Sonic Rivals series and Blaze hasn't, it is unknown if she knows any of Eggman Nega's doings during these games and is unaware of his "future" info (or the Future Eggman Nega is a different one to the Sol Dimension version).
Blaze appears to be easily annoyed and angered by Captain Whisker due to the fact that he took her Jeweled Scepter. She finds him to be a waste of time. She doesn't treat him as seriously as she does with other villains.
Like Eggman Nega, Blaze has a strong grudge against Eggman but not that much since Dr. Eggman isn't totally insane and evil. She hates the idea of Eggman building "Eggmanland" in either her or Sonic's dimension.
In Sonic Rush it was because of Eggman, Blaze was lost in Sonic's dimension. Dr. Eggman steals Blaze's Sol Emeralds in Blaze's world, which causes Blaze to chase after him, while she's chasing after him, she sees a bright light and then passes out. When she wakes up, she questions herself whether she's in a different dimension, she finds out that she actually is in another dimension and Eggman still has all of the emeralds. Almost throughout the game she is tracking down Eggman to collect all of the Sol Emeralds back.
After tricking her and Silver into trying to kill Sonic she does all she can to stop him. However, neither of the two met each other after knowing the truth due to Blaze being sealed in a different dimension and she doesn't remember him, as he no longer exists due to the time paradox.
- Cream the Rabbit (Good Friend) (Sonic Rush)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Best friend, Partner in combat)
- Silver the Hedgehog (Partner in combat, Best friend) (Sonic '06 only)
- Miles "Tails" Prower (Good friend)
- Knuckles the Echidna (maybe)
- Marine the Raccoon (Friend, but can be annoying)
- Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic Universe only)
- Amy Rose
- Cheese the Chao
- Gardon the Koala
- Mephiles the Dark (formerly) (Sonic '06 only)
- Princess Daisy (Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games)
- Eggman Nega (Worst Enemy)
- Doctor Eggman
- Mephiles the Dark (Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) only)
- Captain Whisker
- Iblis (Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) only)
- Metal Sonic (Sonic Universe)
- Rouge the Bat (Sonic Universe)
- Princess Daisy (Mario And Sonic series only)
- Knuckles the Echidna (Due to his actions against her)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Formerly)
Using the Sol Emeralds, Blaze can turn herself into Burning Blaze. During the transformation Blaze's lavender fur becomes a light pink color, the violet on the tips of her hair are erased and her ponytail is longer, the tip of her tail turns red. Blaze's fuzzy cuffs on her wrists and ankles turn magenta, her outfit turns red and the lining turns gold. Unlike most characters, Blaze's eyes don't change color. During this transformation, Blaze's fire powers are amplified, as she can summon and throw fireballs, which she is incapable of during normal gameplay.
Blaze's theme appears to be Vela Nova, which was first played in the Sonic Vs Blaze fight in Sonic Rush, it is also played when Sonic has the Medal of Percival equipped in Sonic and the Black Knight. Also a Spanish guitar was heard playing when Percival appeared.
Blaze has been well-received. IGN remarked upon seeing her at TGS 2005 that she "easily earned her place in the team" amidst unremarkable secondary characters. Her gameplay has been praised as "fast-moving and fun" as opposed to slower characters introduced earlier in the series such as Big the Cat, but criticized for its resemblance to that of Sonic. Blaze has been called "a nice addition to Sonic's cast" and "one of the more complex, multifaceted characters in the Sonic canon". She has been noted by GameSpot for her "fiery disposition". IGN's Nintendo Team stated in its July 2009 list of the top 25 DS games that there is "nothing notable about a Sonic game bringing a new character into the fold, except that Blaze doesn't suck", ranking Sonic Rush 17th. She has become a favorite among fans of the series.
- In the game universe, Blaze seems to have two different backstories as to where she came from. In her debut game Sonic Rush (and most other games afterward) Blaze is depicted as being a Princess and the protector of the Sol Emeralds in a parallel dimension to that of Sonic's world. The same backstory is applied in it's sequel Sonic Rush Adventure which takes place in her universe entirely (Marine the Raccoon also hails from Blaze's world).
- However, in her second appearence in the series, Sonic The Hedgehog (2006), Blaze comes from the future where she battles against the fearsome monster, Iblis (whom Silver the Hedgehog also combats at different times). At the end of Silver's story-line, Blaze sacrifices herself by sealing Iblis inside her body with two of the Chaos Emeralds. At the end of the game, it was made so Iblis never existed, causing the events of the game to never happen, meaning that Blaze is still alive. The possibility that she and Silver never even met each other is never clarified, as in all future appearances they never appear together in their mutual stories and neither of them ever mention each other. Current comic writer Ian Flynn brought an end to the confusion when he thoroughly detailed how Blaze and Silver never met. (1)
"Is that all you got?" Blaze winning a Party game in Sonic and the Secret Rings.
"Never get on my bad side!" Blaze after winning a boss battle in Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure.
"How's that?" Blaze after winning or completing a race in the Sonic Rush series or finishing a level.
"Let's do this!" Blaze when you select her in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games.
"Having a bunny guide is okay, I suppose." Blaze, when Vanilla and Blaze accept Cream to guide Blaze
"Give me back...the Sol Emeralds!" Blaze in a cut-scene after defeating Eggman in Sonic Rush.
"Fear the power of the flames!" Blaze before a race starts in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.
"My enemies always fall before me!" Blaze after beating the second to last boss in Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure.
"My skills are superior!" Blaze after winning any event in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games.
"How could this be?" Blaze after getting 4th place or lower in an event in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games.
"I still have much to learn." Blaze upon losing an event in Mario And Sonic At The Olympic Games.
"I expected nothing less!" Blaze after getting a new World Record or Olympic Record in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games.
"Let's do this" When picking Blaze in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games.
"You're so naive." Blaze while talking to Silver in Sonic the Hedgehog 2006.
"We agreed to save the world - at any price!" Blaze talking to Silver before sacrificing herself in Sonic the Hedgehog 2006.
"You're still so naive, but I... I've always liked that about you." Blaze talking to Silver before sacrificing herself in Sonic the Hedgehog 2006.
"Sonic! It's headed right for you!" when fighting the last boss in Sonic Rush when she switches off with Sonic.
"What do you know? I am the Guardian of the Sol Emeralds. It is a duty that forces me to live with my curse... my flames... Because of my powers I have always been alone!" -- When she's fighting Sonic in Sonic Rush.
"It seems you like to play with fire. Let me light up your fingers then." When Blaze has her first encounter with Eggman in Sonic Rush.
"Sorry!" After passing rival in "Sonic Riders Zero Gravity".
"The power of the flame..." After getting power-up in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.
"You'll never be a match for me." After getting in the top 3 in Sonic Riders Zero Gravity.
"No I can't lose now!" Blaze after she loses a race in Sonic Riders Zero Gravity.
"What!?" When not getting in the top three in the mario and Sonic games series
"Marine, listen! Since you don't seem to understand where I'm getting at I'll just tell you....you're a nuisance!" -Blaze telling Marine of her obnoxiousness when she refuses to go back to Windmill Village
"M-my name is Blaze the Cat...it's nice to meet you" After Blaze introduces herself to Sonic.
"Uh Sonic...maybe we should back away from the edge here so, huh?... we can...uh! y'know..." Blaze talking to Sonic after trying to hide her fear of heights in Sky Babylon.
"It's time."- Blaze as she's about to fight a boss in Sonic Rush.
"Have you made preperations?" Blaze when being selected in Sonic and the Black Knight
Incredible how could she just let me in !-Blaze surprised by Cream letting her inside her house after they just met.
- It is not known if Blaze can absorb the Chaos Emeralds power too.
- Blaze is called Sir Percival in Sonic and Black Knight, but she is female.
- In the English version of Sonic Rush, Blaze is voiced by Bella Hudson. Bella Hudson was mistakenly referred as Berra Hudson when credited as Blaze in Sonic Rush, due to 'L' sounds in Japanese are replaced with 'R' when writing names.
- Burning Blaze is sometimes mistakenly referred to as "Super Blaze", which is more in line with other super transformations, like Super Sonic and Super Shadow.
- Blaze is the only female character in all portrayals of Sonic the Hedgehog to have a super form so far. She is also the only female shown to use Chaos Control (In her Sonic '06 portrayal).
- Blaze does not like to be called "Highness" as it was shown in Sonic Rush Adventure when Gardon came in. She tolerates the name "Princess Blaze".
- Even though Silver the Hedgehog and Blaze the Cat appeared in a multitude of games together after Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, it is still unknown if they know each other.
- In Archie Comics' Sonic Rush adaptation, Blaze's fire went out of control when she was captured and examined by SWATbots. Before the fire went out of control, she said that she needed her coat, indicating that it is possible that the coat keeps Blaze's powers in check. An event like this has never happened in the games (perhaps because she doesn't take it off in the games).
- Blaze is the first character with a "super" form that doesn't require Chaos energy (because it uses Sol energy as she uses the Sol Emeralds).
- Blaze the Cat somewhat resembles the Pokémon, Espeon.
- In the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Sonic Unleashed, if one were to look at the loading screen for Empire City's Skyscraper Scamper stage, one could see "Blaze Rd." or something similar, as well as "Chao Garden" on the Street Sign behind the transparent controller.
- In Sonic Universe, after Blaze tells Shadow about meeting Sonic, the end of her tail was white then purple on the same page. It was colored white when she first made her appearance in the Archie Comics.
- In Sonic Universe #1, the fluff-like cuffs were purple through the whole story even during the flashbacks.
- Blaze is one of the fastest hero characters in the Sonic series, after Sonic and (perhaps) Shadow. She also has the advantage in reaching higher ground, thus helping her to move ahead of others.
- When Blaze was first announced by SEGA they mentioned her as "The royal Queen Blaze the Cat" in the guide for Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) mentions her as a queen. But in the ending for Sonic Rush, what she likes to be called in Sonic Rush Adventure and her gear information in SRZG mentions her as a princess. This is also listed in her Black Knight persona's "real character" info, where it states she is a princess from another dimension with the ability to use the Sol Emeralds.
- In the Sonic Universe comic and the guide for Sonic Rush Adventure mentions that Blaze wears a cape to hide her flames, or keep her flames in control.
- In Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, Blaze is an All-Around character, and Daisy is a Speed-Type character. Since Blaze is very fast it could have been the other way around (It would be more suitable if Blaze is Speed and Daisy is an all-around). Maybe SEGA or Nintendo didn't do that so that the Mario and Sonic characters are equal in their sections (Each category has 2 Mario characters and 2 Sonic characters) maybe that could be the reason why Blaze is an all-around character.
- In her Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games artwork, Blaze is shown to have fangs. One could also see her fangs in the prequel when playing the Vault event. (After performing a routine, look at Blaze after pressing A).
- If Blaze is tapped in the bottom screen with the stylus during gameplay in Sonic Rush, she seems to do something very unusual. She jumps like a frightened cat, then she gets mad at you while she steps one foot against the ground and then turns her back at you while tapping her foot. But when tapped on the touch screen in Sonic Rush Adventure, Blaze hovers in the air.
- In Sonic Rush Adventure, Blaze might know more than one language other than English. This is proven by the book that Marine couldn't translate and read from when they were at Sky Babylon after they defeated Whisker's robot.
- Like Hyper Sonic, Blaze leaves afterimages (of fire) behind her in Sonic Rush Adventure.
For more see: Blaze the Cat/Artwork.
- ↑ Referring to her duties in Sonic Rush
- ↑ Sonic Central
- ↑ 
- ↑ Sonic Rush Adventure (2007)
Gardon: Your Highness! I must speak with you!
Blaze the Cat: Haven't I told you not to call me that?
Gardon: My... my apologies, Princess Blaze!
- ↑ http://www.x-cult.org/games/39/Sonic_the_Hedgehog/1244/Game_Script/
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ 1UP Staff (November 16, 2005). Sonic Rush Review from 1UP.com. 1UP.com. Retrieved on April 11, 2010.
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Sewart, Greg (November 15, 2005). Sonic Rush. GameSpy. Retrieved on April 11, 2010.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Fletcher, JC (February 15, 2009). New Trailer for Sonic and the Black Knight (and Blaze the Cat). Joystiq. Retrieved on April 13, 2010.
- ↑ Davis, Ryan (September 19, 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure Review for DS. GameSpot. Retrieved on April 14, 2010.
- ↑ IGN Nintendo Team (July 1, 2009). The Top 25 Nintendo DS Games. IGN. Retrieved on April 11, 2010.
- Blaze the Cat Concept: "Mobius" (REAL Character Profile)