- For other uses of the term, see Blaze the Cat (disambiguation).
Blaze the Cat (ブレイズ・ザ・キャット Bureizu za Kyatto?) is a character from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. She is an anthropomorphic cat from an alternate dimension, where she is both the imperial princess of the Sol Empire who has the right to inherit the throne, and the appointed guardian of the Sol Emeralds, a role similar to that of Sonic and Knuckles combined and that of a shrine maiden, although she appears too busy for such an admirable position as the latter. Despite being in a position of considerable power though, Blaze tends to escape her castle and act rather freely and independently. As her name suggests, she is gifted with the power of pyrokinesis, which lets her create and manipulate fire in any way she pleases. Possible due to her sheer strength, Blaze often acts without her royal guards to protect her.
Blaze is normally calm and elegant, but tends to conceal her true feelings. Devoted to her position, she sometimes gets herself bogged down by her own strict discipline, which made her anti-social, shy, and unfamiliar to the concept of having friends. After spending time with Sonic and Cream, however, Blaze has discovered the true meaning of friendship, allowing her to accomplish tasks for the good of her people and the innocent which she could never do alone. Despite the initial boundaries separating them, Blaze now travels freely between her dimension and Sonic's to visit her friends.
- 1 Concept and creation
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Personality
- 4 Powers and abilities
- 5 Weaknesses
- 6 Relationships
- 7 References
Concept and creation
Blaze was designed as a character who was equivalent yet an alternate version of Sonic's character. An undated concept of Blaze which was very similar to her final design except her eyes were rounder and her ponytail was turned front instead of back, she was supposed to wear clothing similar to the Arabs, since she was wearing a shalwar and a mid-riff top.
According to the early character spread sheet files of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) it is mentioned that Blaze wears a cape to hide her flames because she was teased. However the games have never shown her wearing a cape besides her purple outfit. This was later clarified by the concept artwork gallery in the Nintendo 3DS version of Sonic Generations where one of the pictures showed Blaze wearing a white and pink laced cape.
An ex-member of Sega on Sonic Wrecks released concept art of Blaze which was said to be done in early 2005 in PowerPoint documents. Her design was very similar to Shadow's however it is possible the character was in a mere silhouette form.
Blaze is a lavender and violet-furred, anthropomorphic cat with gold eyes, a small black nose and a white-furred muzzle. She has triangular ears with peach-colored canals and a long tail with the end frayed and dark purple. Her fur is longer on each side of her head and sweeps slightly upwards. She has four plumes of hair with dark purple tips done up in a high ponytail with a red hair tie. She also has a red oval gem on her forehead, resembling a bindi.
For attire, Blaze wears a purple tailcoat with dark pink trim, a gold collar, and white leggings. She also wears white gloves with fluffy cuffs and dark pink, high-heeled shoes with gray soles, white stripes and fluffy cuffs, like her gloves.
During the Olympic Games, Blaze sports a number of different outfits depending on the event and the environments she faces:
- For regular sporting events in the summer, Blaze wears a purple tracksuit that leaves some of her belly exposed, and dark pink sports shoes with white stripes and light gray soles. The bottom of her shirt and the waist of her pants have dark pink trim, while the latter has golden and pink stripes down each side. She also retains her standard gloves.
- For winter and equestrian events, Blaze wears a purple tailcoat with white leggings similar to her normal attire, except the former has shiny gold and dark pink trims. Her white gloves have magenta fluffy cuffs instead of being white. She also wears purple boots with dark pink and yellow stripes, dark pink straps with silver fasteners, and dark gray soles.
- For swimming and gymnastics, Blaze wears a purple, backless, sleeveless minidress with a pink rim on the skirt, a gold necklace and long black skin-tight shorts. She also wears white gloves with red bracelets for cuffs, and dark pink flats.
For the purpose of Extreme Gear racing, Blaze wears a purple zipped catsuit with yellow stripes over the chest, elbows and knee areas, and dark pink and white strapped boots. She also wears her standard gloves with a dark gray band around each wrist.
A noble soul and strong young lady, Blaze is highly devoted to the well-fare of her people, her motto being "My power is to protect the smiles of my people". She is normally rather calm and solemn, but tends to conceal her true feelings. She is also often described as elegant, which is demonstrated through her body movements and her ballerina-like fighting style. Being royalty, Blaze is quite stoic personality-wise, which is a perfect example of the spirit of the noblesse oblige, as she is very frequently doing her official duties, but still tries to do her best for everyone's peace. Because of her lineage and her stoicism, she is sometimes too distant from those around her, but that is also the flip side of her good nature. She likewise always sticks to her personal principles, which means doing the best she can with pride in the position she is in. This may be the source of Blaze's strength, and it may also be what makes her so appealing.
Blaze is mannerly and typically maintains a relatively quiet and formal air among others. She also usually speaks in a polite and lady-like tone. While honored of her heritage as royalty though, Blaze is down-to-earth and dislikes being called by her title. Blaze also likewise highly perceptive; due to having people that lie to her daily because of her status as a princess, she has developed a keen intuition, allowing her to sense and see through the lies of others. Also, due to the fact that she is so strong that she does not need her guards' support, one cannot help but wonder if she has that much discretion. Her own uncompromisingly calm judgment and unyielding spirit are also qualities that can be counted on. However, one's impression of her may be that she is a person with differences that can be respected.
While Blaze gives the impression that she keeps her emotions in check, she is inwardly highly emotional. She possesses a fiery temper, and when she loses her composure she is quite frightening, aggressive, harsh, and prone to making bad decisions. She is similarly very serious about her position as guardian of the Sol Emeralds, initially suspecting anyone even looking at the Emeralds the wrong way. Also, when dealing with enemies, she never holds back her strength and is not above the idea of using lethal force. She is usually highly disciplined and focused, never allowing herself to lose control, and can be quite stubborn and impatient once she has put her mind to something. Her intensive demeanor however, is motivated by her own genuine concern for others' safety. In truth, Blaze has a kind heart, and always stands up for those who cannot stand up for themselves, Because of her own self-imposed strict discipline though, she is often tense and frequently suffers from great self-pressure.
Initially, she held a personal dislike of her pyrokinesis because it left her to bear her responsibilities alone and it made other children tease her for her inability to control it, which made her view her flames as a curse. She later learns to accept them from Sonic's advice and came to see them as a blessing. Also, when it comes to her duty as guardian of the Sol Emeralds and their relation to the Chaos Emeralds, she is shown to have great faith in the actions both sets of Emeralds take on their own, no matter how vague their reasons may be.
Because of her past and strong sense of responsibility, Blaze has developed a habit of being self-reliant. This has led her to building up walls between her and other people, making her anti-social, withdrawn and shy. As a result, she would bottle up her secret feelings, leaving herself in an inner turmoil. She also lacks in social skills and has a hard time opening up and talking to people. She was also initially wary and curt towards strangers and frequently rejected offers to help, even becoming defensive and angry. This attitude also made her somewhat selfish as she berated Sonic's offers to help and eventually ended up fighting him.
After interacting with Sonic and Cream, Blaze has mellowed out considerably socially-wise, making her more amiable, friendly and gentle towards others. She also came to understand the true meaning of friendship, making her willing to trust and accept help from others. While she still prefers handling things on her own and remains somewhat reclusive, she will accept her friends' help and is genuinely grateful for their aid. Recently, she is seemingly much more sociable, participating in Sonic's birthday party simply for the sake of friendship and is much quicker to open up and relax in front of her friends.
Blaze is very honest and almost blunt when dealing with annoyances such as Marine. In Sonic Rush Adventure, she tried to leave Marine behind on missions due to Marine's risky behavior and even went far enough to hurt her feelings by calling her a 'nuisance' to keep her from coming along with her on a dangerous mission to Pirates' Island. This caused Marine to go after the pirates without Sonic, Tails or Blaze. Sooner rather than later, Marine was captured by them. Blaze also had a rather bad habit of getting over-confident in threatening people to whom she thinks "deserves" it. This was shown several times in Sonic Rush Adventure, a few times in Sonic Rush and finally once in Sonic Colors (DS version only).
Blaze sometimes have a tendency to judge others poorly and seeing less value in others. Notably, she expected no one to know that their worlds were in great danger during Sonic Rush, but was proven wrong when Sonic and Tails were also aware. Her poor judgment of others led her to have a fight with Sonic and misjudge Cream until she realized how helpful she was.
Blaze suffers from acrophobia and just the sight of heights makes her terrified, nervous and uncomfortable as seen in Sky Babylon. However, she is not much for admitting her fear and will try to hide it.
Powers and abilities
Being the guardian of the Sol Emeralds, Blaze is a force to be reckoned with. Both strong and powerful, she is able to go about without the need for her guards protecting her due to her sheer strength. She is arguably the strongest female character in the series, being the only female so far who has been able to tie with Sonic in battle, and is as intense in battle as she is graceful.
Blaze's trademark power is her pyrokinetic ability to brandish, create, and control the elemental force of fire with her body at will in any way she pleases. This ability is so deeply rooted in her that even her soul is alit with flames. Though Blaze initially had trouble controlling her flames, she has since become very adept at using them, turning them into an incredible force. Notably, she is able to handle them delicately enough to create small embers in the palm of her hand or defrost frozen creatures without harming them. Her power over fire is so advanced that she is even completely invulnerable to certain kinds of fire and can manipulate foreign flames at will too.
With her pyrokinesis, Blaze can conjure up flames for various offensive effects, the most basic maneuvers of which involve turning herself into a tornado of fire by spinning around. Notably, she can cloak herself in flames with a midair twirl for strikes, trigger high-speed twirls empowered by flames in order to form fiery tornadoes around her that destroy anything they collide with, envelop herself in flames to become an explosive meteor with enough impact power to create a crater in bedrock, or increase the power behind her strikes to such levels that she can send the Egg Mobile and its passenger flying into the horizon with a single, fire-charged kick. She can even create pressurized blasts of fire and have them burst out of the ground from afar. Purely offense usages aside, Blaze can also use her pyrokinesis to propel herself forward or upward with short bursts of fire or obtain limited flight by creating propulsive flames underneath her feet to slow her descent. However, her signature move with her flames lets her turn herself into a burning projectile that not only enhances her running speed, but also lets her plow through opponents while running. Also, because Blaze's soul is alight with flame, she can serve as a vessel for Iblis, who would otherwise reject anyone not a member of the royal family of Soleanna, although his power would still leak out of her body.
Like many others, Blaze possesses no small amount of speed, allowing her to run at super speeds almost reaching those of Sonic's. In line with her graceful nature, Blaze is as well incredibly athletic considering her impressive dexterity and nimbleness when executing her various ballerina-like moves. Notably, she has enough skills in the area of athletics, reflexes, and agility to let her execute unique tricks and movements at high speed while in mid-air, pull off various Axel Jump maneuvers at immense speed, and grind on Grind Rails with ease. On the ground she is also able to perform top spins and axel jumps. In addition, she has amazing jumping skills, enough to jump very long distances from rooftop to rooftop on top of tall towers with ease while landing safely.
As the guardian of the Sol Emeralds, Blaze has a deep connection to them. Before she understood the meaning of friendship though, Blaze was unable to harness the Sol Emeralds' power. After embracing the friendships she had forged however, she gained the ability to tap into the Sol Emeralds' energies and use them to empower herself.
In combat, Blaze makes use of her own type of hand-to-hand combat skills. In fact, many of Blaze's moves focus on graceful and delicate movements similar to ballerina moves to strike precise and hard blows. When attacking, she tends to use her feet when launching physical blows. Also, most of her fighting moves relies heavily on her pyrokinesis. By using her pyrokinesis in conjunction with her attacks, Blaze can create unique and dynamic moves that deal destructive damage to her targets. She can likewise perform an attack similar to the Homing Attack, where she quickly launches herself at an enemy and attacks them.
In some instances, Blaze is shown being able to levitate in midair. Being royalty, Blaze also has much knowledge about the various aspects of her world, such as its history, ancient languages and legends, and knows much about the various powers of the Jeweled Scepter. As seen during Dodon Pa's Grand Prix, Blaze also has excellent skills when it comes to driving and racing in racecars like the Royal Chariot.
After realizing the importance of friendship and allowing herself to open up to people, Blaze learned how to harness the power of the seven Sol Emeralds to transform into Burning Blaze. In this state, all of Blaze's abilities far surpass her normal ones, including her pyrokinesis, which allows her to fire and charge up destructive fireballs in this state. She is also able to fly and is nearly invulnerable. However, this transformation consumes a lot of energy, meaning it cannot be maintained for long.
By harnessing different variants of Hyper-go-on from Wisps, Blaze can use specific Color Powers to transform into a certain form, such as a drill, a laser or even a planet, each one possessing its own unique abilities. So far, Blaze has been able to transform into the Cyan Laser, Yellow Drill and Indigo Asteroid. However, these transformations require a steady supply of Hyper-go-on to be maintained.
Suffering from slight acrophobia, Blaze gets uncomfortable when faced with great heights, which is perhaps her greatest weakness. Blaze's temper also makes her prone to harsh and rough decisions. Notably, Blaze completely lost her temper while threatening Dr. Eggman and Eggman Nega in Deep Core, causing her to lose sight of how she had to not recklessly endanger herself for the sake of her world and people until Sonic calmed her down.
Cream the Rabbit
As Blaze was traveling alone, after defeating Dr. Eggman for the first time, Cream the Rabbit had surprised her by hiding. Blaze was a little hostile, but Cream instead walked up towards her and invited her to her house, along with her mother, Vanilla the Rabbit. Blaze thought this to be calmingly eerie about the way they would treat a stranger. Cream then agreed to show Blaze around, starting their adventure, acting similar to Tails in the Sonic campaign.
Throughout, Blaze was only focused on collecting all of the Sol Emeralds but as they travel, Blaze soon feels a bond, finally seeing Cream as a friend and not a guide. She was very worried about Cream's safety after she destroyed the Eggman robot that captured Cream and briefly thought Cream had been consumed in the explosion, causing her to frantically search the robot's wreckage before she found Cream had used her flying powers to escape the explosion. Even when Blaze left to her own dimension, they had hinted on missing each other's company. In Sonic Generations, they are seen interacting with each other again at Sonic's birthday party.
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog is one of Blaze's friends and a valuable ally of hers. However, they did not start out on the best of terms. While Blaze was tracking down the Sol Emeralds during her first adventure on Sonic's world, Blaze was told by many people to team up with Sonic for her quest. However, Blaze's inability to rely on others made her affronted by this. Even when she finally got face-to-face with Sonic, Blaze refused to let Sonic get involved in something that she considered to be her own problem. Ultimately, Blaze lost her temper and tried to make Sonic leave by force when he tried getting involved in her showdown with Dr. Eggman at Dead Line. After their fight however, Blaze was encouraged by Sonic to not assume too much responsibility and be true to herself. This advice helped Blaze realize that she could allow herself to rely on others if she let her guard down. The two of them became real friends afterwards and would subsequently help each other resolve the crisis brought on by Dr. Eggman and Dr. Eggman Nega. Since then, Blaze and Sonic have steadily become better friends and allies.
During her first adventure on Sonic's world, Blaze could not care less about Sonic himself as he was not related to her present quest. Refusing his help, Blaze initially had a lesser opinion about him based on what she had heard. After formally crossing paths with Sonic the first time, Blaze still refused his help, but also became more curious about what kind of person he was due how engaged he was in the well-being of the world. Later, after their fight, Blaze received some nuggets of wisdom from Sonic that helped Blaze realize how selfish she had been about trying to carry the weight of the world on her own, and the two of them became friends. Following that, Blaze willingly chose to believe in Sonic, which would lead to a firm establishment of mutual faith and trust between them. This became evident when Blaze trusted him to face Eggman Nega on her behalf while Sonic entrusted her to save Cream. Also, just like Sonic acknowledges Blaze's power and skills, Blaze respects Sonic's, having admitted that she bows to his skills. Also, whenever Blaze's emotions get the better of her, Sonic will be there to remind her of what is important and to stay cool. They have also displayed an occasional custom where they shake hands when they depart, signifying their growing friendship and the promise to meet once more.
Blaze and Sonic are alike in many ways, having similar skills and self-assumed duties. On the other hand, they possess very different backstories and contrasting traits, the most obvious of them being Blaze and Sonic's "stoic" and "free" personalities: Blaze is outwardly stoic and blunt, yet inwardly highly emotional, whereas Sonic is inwardly free and adventurous, yet outwardly level-headed and cool. When it comes down to it, Sonic's way of life stands as a deep contrast to Blaze's. However, Sonic's way of living life like an adventure also means that there is no enjoyment to be found in it if one does not follow their own rules, which demands a strong and flexible mind; in other words, it does not just mean being lax. It is thanks to this perspective that Blaze has been able to achieve some of the results that are nothing short of admirable and have brought smiles to many faces. As such, Blaze respects Sonic's way of life to a certain extent, because he has a different perspective and approach, but also produces results that overlap with the direction she is aiming for.
Blaze's outlook on life has been affected in many ways by Sonic's attitude and advices; their time together has enabled Blaze to understand the meaning of friendship which ultimately let her to discovering the true power of the Sol Emeralds and how to use them, and his advices have made Blaze come to understand that her pyrokinetic powers were not the curse she made them out to be.
From Blaze's point of view, Sonic is a reliable and capable person, which is a great difference from her usual attitude about others in general. While she does not always agree with Sonic's lax and carefree attitude, Blaze nonetheless takes these traits in stride with casual acceptance. In addition, after having been on several adventures with him, Blaze has seen Sonic's ability to do what he speaks and his ability to perform at the critical moment. These feats, in a sense, have made Blaze listen to him. It can therefore be said that she has come to recognize his abilities to a certain extent. Also, while Blaze tends to push herself to solve things on her own because of her sense of responsibility, Sonic does not stop her from doing so any more than necessary. This may be due to how Sonic respects Blaze's freedom to do what she wants. However, he also seems to respect her personal principles of doing the best she can with pride in the position she is in, which he does not have. Because of her endearing trails, Sonic is able to trust and cooperate with her when the time comes. Also, while Blaze might tend to alienate Sonic in the heat of moments at times because of her old ways and pride, she will nonetheless regret it as she realizes that Sonic is always there to help her out, even she thinks she is alone. They are as well shown to be great partners in combat, displaying a brilliant coordination that makes it hard to believe that they don't see each other often.
Additionally, the situation of living in different dimensions also affects Blaze's relationship with Sonic. Fundamentally, since they both live in different worlds, it is for the best that they take care of their own world. While they respect and honor that, they can also cooperate with each other in times of real trouble. This is a difficult balance to achieve, but so far it seems to have been adjusted to some extent by the guidance of the Chaos Emeralds and Sol Emeralds. And the fact that Blaze and Sonic are the ones who are responsible for this is another interesting aspect of their relationship.
Knuckles the Echidna
Blaze and Knuckles met when Cream saw Knuckles the Echidna and greeted him, and though Cream wanted Blaze to be friends with Knuckles, it didn't work out right. Knuckles was friendly until he saw Blaze holding a few Sol Emeralds, he mistook them for Chaos Emeralds and therefore gave Blaze advice to give them to Sonic. Blaze gets angry at Knuckles and tells him that she has no Chaos Emeralds. Knuckles accusing her of lying and makes an attempt to harm her, but Blaze dodges and clobbers Knuckles, knocking him out and leaving him lying in a crevice. Knuckles later wanted revenge against Blaze, but was distracted by Amy. Cream convinces Blaze that Knuckles is actually a 'nice guy', which made Blaze feel relieved. Near the end of the game, Knuckles no longer shows any dislike for her as he was there with Sonic's other friends while helping Blaze with the Sol Emeralds.
Blaze and Amy Rose first met in Sonic Rush when Amy asks Cream where Sonic is. Cream then introduced Amy to Blaze and they were on good terms until Amy assumes that Blaze might like Sonic the way she does. Blaze denies it, saying that she "couldn't care less about anyone named 'Sonic'". Amy helps Cream and Blaze later on by getting away from Knuckles who planned to attack Blaze.
In Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games Blaze and Amy seem to be close friends in the trailer where the two were seen smiling and holding hands.
However, in Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games Blaze stops Amy from sending a personal letter to Sonic by challenging her to a sport. Blaze also gives an annoyed expression by putting her hand on her face, saying "Oh brother!" when Amy is flirting with Sonic and calling him "darling".
In the gameplay trailer for Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, she and Amy can be seen having a conversation.
In Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, Blaze and Amy have a special winning animation together.
Silver the Hedgehog
Silver the Hedgehog is Blaze's good friend and companion from the future. During the events of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) the two have searched for and battled the Iblis together for what seems to be many times. Silver and Blaze are shown to look out for one another, during gameplay Silver will yell to Blaze to watch out for objects because he "doesn't want to see her hurt" while Blaze worries about Silver's insecurity issues when they are separated. In an attempt to save the destroyed future, they travel back to the present with the aid of Mephiles, who has instructed them to destroy the "Iblis Trigger" in order to prevent Iblis from ever being released. They work alongside one another, though Silver is implied to be the more dependent of the two and Blaze the mature one - Blaze comments that Silver is "insecure when he's alone" along with scolding him numerous times for being very "naive". After his encounter with Amy, he begins to contemplate the morality of their mission and when reunited with Blaze, relies on her guidance on whether or not it is right for them to kill someone even though it means saving the world. Ultimately she chastises him for being naive once more and explains that she cannot say either way, all she knows is if they do not take their chance then the future will remain exactly the same. They continue on their journey to repair the future timeline.
At the end of their journey, Blaze chooses to sacrifice herself as the vessel of Iblis as it turns out that Silver is not a compatible vessel. With Iblis trapped inside her, she asks Silver to seal her into another dimension so Iblis can be stopped once and for all. Silver tries to seal her but cannot bring himself to do so. In explaining why he says that he would not know what to do without her and asks her "we're friends, right?". Blaze turns and scolds him one final time for being so naive, then tells him "but, I've always liked that about you" before sealing herself in a new dimension and vanishing.
After the defeat of Solaris, the events of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) had been erased. However, Blaze and Silver have met and teamed up multiple times since and are still depicted as friends. Their old lives have been referenced a few times throughout the series.
In Sonic Colors (DS version only), Sonic comments that Silver and Blaze were in perfect sync to which Silver replies that he feels like they have paired up before. Tails mentions that perhaps they were partners somewhere, some time. After rescuing Blaze from the Time Eater in Sonic Generations, Blaze will comment "Crisis City... I never thought I'd be back here again. This world is full of surprises." Silver and Blaze are also seen chatting to each other at the party in the final scene.
The two of them are also together in the Nintendo DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, in which they challenge the player to Dream and normal Ice Hockey in the Adventure Tours, Blaze and Silver have a unique gold medal pose if they work together in a team event in both Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games and Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
Silver and Blaze meet up once again during the events of Team Sonic Racing, this time joining up with Vector to form Team Vector. The two greet each other with a "long time no see" and appear to be close and friendly towards each other. Throughout the story Silver is suspicious of something being wrong with the tourney. Blaze notices his odd behavior and confronts him about it. He explains to her that he has a feeling that something is not right. Blaze says she trusts him and agrees to help him investigate. They work together with the others to uncover and foil Eggman's plan and rescue Dodon Pa.
Miles "Tails" Prower
Blaze first met Miles "Tails" Prower with Sonic when they were searching for her. They have interacted indirectly, but after her fight against Sonic was finished, Tails tried to convince Blaze to stop fighting and to believe in Sonic so she can rest. She was going to take that into consideration and thanked him for it, but she insisted in fighting Dr. Eggman herself. In Sonic Rush Adventure, Blaze finds Tails to be a valuable ally, when it comes to machines and sea crafts.
Marine the Raccoon
The two were allies in Sonic Rush Adventure, though Blaze initially showed her dislike of Marine the Raccoon by leaving her behind in missions. However, Blaze has no choice but to let Marine come if she promises to stay with the group. Before Sonic, Tails, and Blaze depart to Pirates Island to unlock the door and finish off the pirates, they decided to leave Marine behind this time, she however doesn't accept it. Blaze confesses to Marine that she is a nuisance which hurts her feelings. Sonic and Tails disagree with what Blaze said and told her she was too harsh on Marine. After Sonic and Blaze save Marine from the Ghost Titan and defeat it, Blaze is disappointed at Marine for sneaking on the Deep Typhoon to come to Pirates' Island which would've put her in grave danger. Marine however surprises Blaze by finding her stolen Jeweled Scepter. Blaze thanks Marine for the great contribution thus realizing how wrong she thought of Marine and even asks Marine to come along with them for the first time. At the end of Sonic Rush Adventure Blaze comforts Marine who is sad about Sonic and Tails' departure and then look at the sky hoping to see them again. Blaze's relationship with Marine becomes very similar to Sonic's relationship with Tails.
Dr. Eggman Nega
Blaze's most nefarious adversary is undoubtedly Eggman Nega. Blaze opposed Dr. Eggman Nega for destroying her life by threatening her kingdom and people, taking her Jeweled Scepter and Sol Emeralds, and her friends. Their relationship could be said to be similar to Sonic and Eggman, though the rivalry between them is more bitter in nature. Blaze is quick to giving an unfriendly feeling whenever Dr. Eggman Nega says or does anything evil, such as what he said in Sonic Rush Adventure "It will only take the fraction of this power to wipe your kingdom off the charts!" Since Dr. Eggman Nega has appeared in the Sonic Rivals series and Blaze hasn't, it is unknown if she knows any of Eggman Nega's doings during these games and is unaware of the fact that he is actually Eggman's descendant and not a doppelganger from her dimension.
Blaze appears to be easily annoyed and angered by Captain Whisker due to the fact that he took her Jeweled Scepter. She finds him to be a waste of time and does not treat him as seriously as she does other villains.
In Sonic Rush it was because of Eggman that Blaze was lost in Sonic's dimension. Dr. Eggman steals Blaze's Sol Emeralds in her world, which causes her to chase after him. While in pursuit, she sees a bright light and then passes out. When she wakes up, she questions whether or not she's in a different dimension; she finds out that she is in another one entirely and Eggman still has all of the emeralds. Throughout the game, she is tracking down Eggman to collect all of the Sol Emeralds back.
- Cream the Rabbit (close friend)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (close friend)
- Amy Rose
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Vanilla the Rabbit
- Silver the Hedgehog (good friend)
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Rouge the Bat
- Vector the Crocodile
- Espio the Chameleon
- Marine the Raccoon (close friend)
- Coconut Crew
- Classic Sonic
- Dodon Pa
- Dr. Eggman Nega (arch-enemy)
- Dr. Eggman
- Time Eater
- Metal Sonic
- Sonic Channel (Japanese). Characters: Blaze. Sega. Archived from the original on 26 May 2019. Retrieved on 3 July 2015.
- Devra Newberger Speregen (2016). Sonic: The Ultimate Character Guide. Scholastic. p. 38-39. ISBN 978-1338033243.
- Team Sonic Racing reveals first Story Mode details, new character Dodonpa (English). Brian(@NE_Brian). Nintendo Everything. Retrieved on 29 September 2018.
- Sega (5 November 2021). ソニック ＆ ブレイズ キャラ紹介 (Japanese). かべがみカバーストーリー. Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 5 November 2021.
- Sega. Sonic the Hedgehog European site. Characters: Blaze the Cat. Archived from the original on 15 March 2007. Retrieved on 5 May 2015. "Blaze is a queen from another dimension who protects and controls the Sol Emeralds - a role similar to that of Sonic and Knuckles combined. She has the power to control flames with her body, but since she was teased about it when she was younger, she wears a cape to disguise her abilities. However, when needed, she will toss the cape in a heartbeat."
- Sonic Runners, Blaze's profile.
- Sega (23 June 2016). Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. Wii U. Nintendo. Area/Level: Collectibles (Flags). "A noble princess from another dimension who is also guardian of the Sol Emeralds. Blaze has a kind heart, and always stands up for those who can't stand up for themselves. In addition to being athletic, she also has the power to control flames. After a bit of time away, she's once more crossed over from her dimension in order to rekindle old friendships and test her skills in the Olympic Games."
- Sonic Rush (Nintendo DS) United states instruction booklet, p. 5.
- Sonic Team, Dimps (14 September 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Southern Island. "Gardon: Your Highness! I must Speak with you! / Blaze: Haven't I told you not to call me that?"
- Sumo Digital (21 May 2019). Team Sonic Racing. PlayStation 4. Sega. "Blaze: I would say you are here for other reasons besides winning. / Vector: What? No. I'm totally here to win the money. / Blaze: Vector, I am a princess. People lie to me daily. It is my job to find the truth so I know who can I trust. / Vector: Not too shabby, princess. All right, you got me."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Dead Line. "Blaze: ... ... ... You stole the Sol Emeralds, and jeopardized my world... Just so you could get "ultimate power"?! I'll destroy you!"
- BradyGames (1 November 2011). Sonic Generations Official Strategy Guide. BradyGames. p. 6. ISBN 978-0744013429. "Born with pyrokinesis, the ability to make flames, she endured a lot of teasing from other children due to her initial inability to control her gift. Seeing her abilities as a "curse" she became shy, withdrawn, and self-reliant."
- Sega (2 November 2021). ソニック ＆ ブレイズ 後編 (Japanese). かべがみカバーストーリー. Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 2 November 2021.
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Dead Line. "Blaze: We're going to fly again? Uh, wait a sec. I'm kinda scared of heights... Aaah!"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Sonic.
- Bandai Namco Studios, Sora Ltd. (21 November 2014). Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. Wii U. Nintendo. "Blaze the Cat trophy: A princess charged with guarding the Sol Emeralds, Blaze comes from another dimension. She used to be a bit of a withdrawn loner— it wasn't until she met Sonic and co. that she really opened up. She can brandish fire at will, and she can use the Sol Emeralds to change into Burning Blaze."
- Bandai Namco Studios, Sora Ltd. (28 November 2014). Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. Wii U. Nintendo. "Blaze the Cat trophy: A princess from another dimension charged with guarding the Sol Emeralds. She used to be a bit of a withdrawn loner, and it wasn't until she met Sonic and Co. that she really opened up. She can wield the power of fire at will, and can even transform into Burning Blaze by using all seven of the Sol Emeralds."
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (24 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/Level: Ending sequence (Silver Episode). "Blaze: Don't worry. My soul is already alit with flames. I will be accepted."
- Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
- Sonic Team, Dimps (14 September 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Blizzard Peaks. Cutscene: Legendary Ancient Ruins.
- Sonic Team, Dimps (14 September 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Sky Babylon.
- Sonic Team (4 November 2011). Sonic Generations. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/Level: Blaze: Piercing the Flames.
- Sonic Team, Dimps (14 September 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Blizzard Peaks. Cutscene: Reunion.
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Blaze.
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Egg Libra (Blaze).
- "Blaze the cat, another one of Sonic's friends, is an All-Around competitor. As her name indicates, she also possesses no small amount of speed and will be a formidable contender in events like the vault." - Blaze the Cat's profile, from the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games website
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (24 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/Level: Opening sequence (Silver Episode).
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Opening sequence (Extra). "Eggman Nega: Hmph! Once we're at optimal strength, it'll be easy to get the Sol Emeralds back. A pity that Blaze has no idea how to use the emeralds."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Opening sequence (Extra). "Sonic: As long as you have the power of friendship, the Sol Emeralds... will never lose their glow! / Blaze: ! The Sol Emeralds...! / Sonic: Ready to do this together? Blaze should be able to use the Sol Emeralds now. / Blaze: It's so warm! I can feel the power energizing me!"
- Sonic Team (4 November 2011). Sonic Generations. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/Level: Chase After Blaze.
- Sonic Team, Dimps (14 September 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Sky Babylon. "Marine: Oh, CRIKEY! Th-th-those are clouds! / Sonic: Yow! Talk about a view! / Tails: Strange as it sounds, it looks like we got blasted off of that island and ended up here. / Blaze: It... sure looks that way. Guess that, ah... it must've, y'know, been set so that... / Sonic: Hm? / Blaze: Hey, S-Sonic? Why... why don't we just back away from the edge, here... yeah? / Sonic & Tails: ? / Marine: Blaze, is something wrong? / Blaze: No, no, come on. We just need to back away, mm? Th-then everything'll be fine. / Marine: Oy, Blaze! Don't shove!"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (14 September 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Deep Core. "Eggman Nega: Now, the world shall be my plaything! I shall bring about an age of fear and chaos! And it shall be glorious! / Blaze: I... MUST... STOP HIM!!! / Sonic: Blaze! You're the princess, remember? You need to keep a level head! Who's going to look out for the people of this world if something happens to you? / Blaze: !! / Sonic: Who else is going to be able to give the people of this world peace? / Blaze: Yes... That is my duty as princess. My duty... and my honor! I will not allow my people to come to such suffering! Let's go, Sonic!"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Zone Map (Blaze). "Cream: You know, I'd suggest that you talk to Sonic. / Vanilla: Yes, Sonic should be able to help you. / Blaze: Please don't worry. This is my problem, so I'll find them myself!"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Zone Map (Blaze). "Knuckles: How'd you get them anyhow? Regardless, here's some friendly advice. Give them to Sonic for safekeeping. / Blaze: (Here's another person saying I should find Sonic. Who on earth is he?) I don't have any Chaos Emeralds! Go look elsewhere for them."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Zone Map (Blaze). "Amy: Hmph. You should learn to be able to ask for help. If you have trouble, just ask Sonic for help! Sonic would be able to help you in a flash! / Blaze: No problem. I can take care of this myself..."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Zone Map (Sonic). "Sonic: Who are you? Do you know anything about Eggman Nega? / Blaze: It's none of your business. This is my responsibility, so I'll deal with it. / Sonic: Hey, that's not how it works around here. / Tails: The space-time continuum tear has spread. Does this involve you? / Blaze: um... / Sonic: So, there is a relationship. / Blaze: I said this is MY problem. Don't bother me!"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Dead Line (Blaze). "Sonic: Hey, not bad. / Blaze: I... I must save the Sol Emeralds. I must.../ Sonic: A bit overzealous, aren't we? (But it seems like she's had a rough past.) Hey, don't bite off more than you can chew. And be yourself. Don't need to do everything on your own. / Cream: Blaze! / Blaze: ... ... ... Perhaps... Perhaps you're right. I can rely on friends, if I let myself... / Sonic: Great! I am Sonic. Sonic the Hedgehog. It's nice to meet you. / Blaze: I-I'm Blaze. It's nice to meet you too."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Zone Map (Blaze). "Blaze: No, what I'm seeking are the Sol Emeralds. I really couldn't care less about anyone called Sonic."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Zone Map (Blaze). "Blaze: I've already retrieved some Sol Emeralds. And I did it without Sonic's assistance. I don't need his help. Besides, this "Sonic" sounds like..."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Zone Map (Blaze). "Blaze: (Because it's been deprived of the Sol Emeralds, my world is in danger.) (It's also affecting this world, too.) (I'm surprised someone actually went into action. It seemed like no one here really cared!) / Cream: Blaze, since we finally found Sonic... Shouldn't you have asked him for help? / Blaze: Sonic... Can you tell me what sort of person he is? / Cream: Sonic? Well... Hmm... He's like the wind! / Blaze: (What does that mean?)"
- Sonic Team (11 November 2011). Sonic Generations. PC. Sega. Area/Level: White Space. "Blaze the Cat: Five Red Star Rings? I bow to your skills."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Ending sequence (Extra). "Burning Blaze: I understand now... My inherent power over fire... As princess, it is my duty to protect the Sol Emeralds. But because of my duty, I shut people out, and keep to myself... But trying to make it solely my responsibility, I put my world in danger. But then... / Sonic: You need to be true to yourself! / Burning Blaze: Sonic the Hedgehog..."
- Sega. ソニック ＆ ブレイズ 前編 (Japanese). かべがみカバーストーリー. Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 22 October 2021.