Black Doom is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. He was the cruel leader of the Black Arms, a species of parasites that travel between star systems in the Black Comet in search of alien populations to consume. Fifty years prior to the current war on Mobius against Dr. Eggman, Black Doom made contact with Professor Gerald, helping him to create Shadow the Hedgehog. Black Doom then revealed that he would return to Mobius fifty years later to claim it as his own, for which purpose Shadow was modified to stand against him and the Black Arms. Black Doom's return was delayed, however, by his species' conflict with the Xorda.
When Professor Gerald was trying to complete Project Shadow to cure his granddaughter Maria Robotnik's Neuro-Immuno Deficiency Syndrome, he found barriers to his research he could not overcome without outside help. Making a deal with Black Doom, he extracted some of the alien's blood to help him finish the process. The result was Shadow the Hedgehog, with the abilities granted by Gerald's process and also with a measure of Doom's own power, granting Shadow his Chaos Control abilities. Black Doom afterwards departed, vowing that he would make his return fifty years later, prompting Gerald to modify Shadow so that when the time came Mobius would have him for a protector.
The Black Arms were making their way back to Mobius in order to feast upon the inhabitants when they ran afoul of the Xorda, another alien race which had its sights set on the planet. Refusing to allow an impending feast be denied to him, Black Doom entered his people into an interstellar war across the galaxy with the Xorda, which devastated the Bem homeworld of Argentium and many other planets and star systems.
- Due to issues with Sega, Ian Flynn previously stated that Black Doom and the Black Arms would not be making a proper appearance until they were given the green-light to have them defeat the Xorda. Ian Flynn would later go on record to say that Black Doom is currently off-limits in the comics.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #171, "I Am"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Shadow the Hedgehog"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "The Xorda & the Black Arms"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #170, "Coming and Goings"
- ↑ Ian Flynn (28 September 2008). Ask Ian for AUG/SEP '08 - Did You Miss It?. BumbleKing Comics. Archived from the original on 2 November 2015.
- ↑ Ian Flynn (17 November 2013). Sonic the Hedgehog #258, Sonic Universe #61, & more previews. BumbleKing Comics. Archived from the original on 2 November 2015.