Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
"Black Bot the Pirate" is the forty-eighth episode of the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series. Despite being produced as the forty-eighth episode, it aired as the thirty-seventh episode during the show's original run. This episode is the first part of the "Quest for the Chaos Emeralds" saga.
- Black Bot the Pirate (only appearance)
- Dr. Robotnik
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Professor Caninestein (first appearance)
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad
- Atomic Relativity Boots (first appearance)
- Chaos Emeralds (first appearance)
- Robot-Transmogrifier Ray (only appearance)
- Time cop
Dr. Robotnik has kidnapped Professor Caninestein and has forced him to build him a Time Machine against his will. With the time machine Robotnik plans to travel through time and collect the four Chaos Emeralds to grant him the powers of invisibility, invincibility, immortality and life itself. With the four emeralds he plans to take over Mobius first then the entire universe. Scratch mistakes it for a vacuum cleaner and tries it out, only to go back to the time of Pilgrims and comes back as a roast chicken, Grounder asks what happened and Scratch reveals that the Pilgrims tried to eat him for dinner, then they said he tastes lousy. Robotnik is overjoyed that the time machine worked. Robotnik, Scratch and Grounder all hop in the time machine and leave.
Robotnik, Scratch and Grounder arrive on the ship of Black Beard the Pirate. Robotnik zaps Blackbeard with his Robot-Transmogrifier Ray which roboticizes him and transforms him into Black Bot the Pirate. Black Bot shows Robotnik a map that will lead him to the Chaos Emerald of Invisibility.
Sonic and Tails arrive on the ship and start dealing with Scratch, Grounder, and Black Bot. Black Bot catches Tails, ties him up, and has him walk the plank. Sonic jumps into the water to save his friend. Dr. Robotnik fires his Robot-Transmogrifier Ray at them. Sonic laughs because he thinks Robotnik missed. He soon finds out that the doctor hit his target, a whale which is now a robot whale that swallows the heroes.
Inside the whale, Sonic rearranges some circuits in the brain and gains control of the robot from the interior. The now happy whale lets Sonic and Tails out at Shark Island and they go after Robotnik.
Robotnik and his minions find where the Chaos Emerald is buried, but Sonic quickly tunnels underground and gets it first and leaves a decoy for Robotnik to find. However, Robotnik uses his Time Machine to catch Sonic just as he comes out of his tunnel. They open the chest which they think is empty. Sonic figures out that the Chaos Emerald itself is invisible. Sonic uses it to torment Robotnik, Scratch, and Grounder and he spin dashes Black Bot to pieces. Robotnik throws sand in Sonic's eyes and gets the emerald and turns invisible himself. He then steals Sonic's Atomic Relativity Boots and tears them up so to trap Sonic and Tails in the past, and then leaves. Sonic writes a note to Professor Caninestein asking for another pair of boots and puts it in the treasure chest. The new pair arrives immediately.
While traveling through time, Sonic catches up to Robotnik and steals the Chaos Emerald from him and he and Tails go back to their own time.
Tails asks Black Bot if he can play with his cutlass, but the pirate warns Tails that isn't a toy. Sonic expands on Blackbot's statement and tells kids not to play with sharp objects.
Title in other languages
|French||Les Émeraudes de Chaos||The Chaos Emeralds|
|German||Die Zeitmaschine||The Time Machine|
|Italian||Ritorno al passato||Back to the past|
|Spanish (Spain)||El pirata Robo-Negro||The Robo-Negro pirate|
|Spanish (Latin America)||Negrobot, el pirata||Negrobot, the pirate|
- The alternate name of this episode is "Quest for the Chaos Emeralds (1); Time for Trouble".
- The girl who Sonic calls "a cute little hedgehog in a polka dot bikini" is a recolored Breezie. She is later seen walking arm-in-arm with a tall, muscular, greyscale version of Sonic.
- Dr. Robotnik says his catchphrase "I hate that hedgehog!" in the middle of this episode rather than the end.
- The line "you'll be able to run on the circuits of the planet at the speed of light and enter the time warp" is said by Professor Caninestein in all four episodes of saga. In fact, the entire scene is recycled stock footage.
- The song Sonic sings to Black Bot is a parody of the nursery rhyme and lullaby "Rock-a-bye Baby". He even sings as he is cutting through the mast with his buzzsaw move (the lyric being "When the mast breaks, the pirate will fall").
- This episode was animated by TMS Entertainment.