- For other uses of the term, see Big the Cat (disambiguation).
Big the Cat (ビッグ ・ザ ・キャット Biggu za Kyatto?) is a fictional character from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is a large, anthropomorphic purple cat who lives deep within Mystic Ruins. Though imposing of stature, Big is a gentle and easy-going, though somewhat dim-witted person with a heart of gold. He also possesses incredible strength and toughness that makes him one of Sonic the Hedgehog's strongest allies. He is also an expert fisherman.
Big spends most of his time fishing in tranquility with his best friend, Froggy. Not one for going on grand adventures, Big prefers his peaceful and quiet lifestyle in the jungle. However, should his friends be in danger or in need of his aid, Big will not hesitate to leave his home to help them out and protect them in any way he can.
Big is a very large and burly anthropomorphic cat. The majority of his body fur is purple with dark violet stripes. A striped pattern runs up his arms and long tail. His feet are covered in dark violet fur up to his ankles as well as the outer tips of his large, triangular ears, while his upper legs, back, and sides are covered in purple fur. White fur covers his chest, torso, muzzle, and inner ears. He also has black eyes with pale yellow sclera.
His preferred attire consists of yellow gloves, sandals, and a matching belt with a gold buckle. He usually keeps his fishing rod with him.
Big is a kind, carefree and laid-back cat with a friendly personality. He cares a lot for his friends, especially Froggy. He enjoys fishing leisurely and brings his rod with him wherever he goes. He is often giddy and optimistic, especially when with his friends. However, he is not exactly the brightest bulb in the box, as he has a short attention span and has a hard time understanding even the simplest of metaphors. Similarly, important things sometimes pass right through his mind. This does not mean Big is stupid, however, but more so that he is a slow thinker. Quite comfortable with himself, Big acknowledges himself that he is not very intelligent without being burden by it. In fact, he is quite surprised himself when he realizes that he is right in an argument. In addition, his simple way of thinking lets him see important points that others, in their considerations of more complicated matters, have overlooked. For example, he genuinely believed Dodon Pa was a good person while everyone else believed him to be evil because he knew that Dodon Pa worked with Wisps, who only like nice people.
Despite his shortcomings, Big is loyal and reliable to his friends, and always sees the best in those he likes, even when others try to convince him otherwise. He also dislikes how many people worry about so many little things and them hurrying about all the time, which is probably why he chose to live in the Mystic Ruins jungle without technology.
Big encourages others and is not the selfish type. Big has an ability to stay calm in any situation, even when he has lost Froggy. Big is amazed by a lot of things and is almost always upbeat, even when he is in danger. One of the only instances of the cat losing his upbeat nature comes in Sonic Heroes, when he momentarily loses hope of finding Froggy and sadly suggests going home before Amy rekindles his spirit.
Powers and abilities
Although kind and without much combat expertise, Big is still quite strong and powerful. Said to possess prodigious strength, Big has enormous superhuman power, enough to lift and walk around with cars and boulders much larger than himself with ease. He can similarly smash large boulders and damage tough Badniks using only brute strength, and even knock away objects with enough force to make them ignite fire. By utilizing his large grid as well, Big can deliver shockwave-creating bodyslams.
While having not demonstrated notable speed and agility, Big is still rather fast and nimble for his size by normal standards. During the Neo Metal Sonic incident, he demonstrated enough speed to let him keep up with even Amy Rose. In addition, Big is shown to have passable reflexes and acrobatic skills, enough to let him do unique tricks and movements while in mid-air, pull off various Spin Attack maneuvers at high speed, and grind on Grind Rails with ease.
Big is also able to perform the Spin Attack, a technique where he curls into a concussive ball or cutting disk and directs himself at his targets. With it, Big can shred or burrow through just about any substance given enough speed. Adept in its usage, Big can utilize several variants of the Spin Attack for both ground- and aerial maneuvers, including the Spin Dash, Spin Jump, and Homing Attack.
Big is a highly skilled fisherman as well, being able to catch just about anything with his trusty rod. Notably, he has been able to catch underwater creatures ranging from regular fish of various shapes and sizes to hostile Badniks and even Froggy while he was under the influence of Chaos. Once, he was even able to catch Cream in midair with his lure while Cream was caught in a strong wind.
Big is a very capable swimmer. During the Chaos incident, he displayed enough swimming skills to reach far depths, move through underwater grottos, and even walk on the bottom of pools like he was walking on dry land. He also has an excellent sense of smell; during the Neo Metal Sonic Incident, Big was able to catch Froggy's sense on the outskirts of Bullet Station while the latter was (seemingly) held captured deep within said location. Despite his nonurban habitat, Big has as well surprisingly good skills when it comes to piloting different vehicles: Notably, he managed to skillfully pilot Tails' Tornado 2 through a storm and land it safely despite not knowing the first thing about it. Additionally, as seen during Dodon Pa's Grand Prix, Big also has excellent skills when it comes to driving and racing in racecars like the Frog Cruiser.
Big's main tool is his trusty fishing pole and its lure, which he always keeps on him. While simple in design, it is a quite capable tool in Big's hand. For example, it is durable enough to be used as a staff/club in combat, allowing Big to destroy or otherwise damage his opposition with a single wrack of his pole. Big can also used his pole's lure as a weapon by throwing it at foes from afar and destroying them or catch and pull in objects (other than fish) from a distance. Other offensive moves Big can pull off with his fishing pole is his Big Fishing technique, where Big replaced the lure on his pole with either a flaming lifebuoy, a flaming buoy, or a flaming iron ball and swings it around to knock surrounding opponents into submission. For traversing the environment, Big can as well use his pole's build-in umbrella to glide through mid-air by folding it out during mid-fall.
By harnessing different variants of Hyper-go-on from Wisps, Big can use specific Color Powers to transform into a certain form, such as a drill, a laser or even a planet, each one possessing its own unique abilities. So far, Big has been able to transform into the Cyan Laser, Yellow Drill and Indigo Asteroid. However, these transformations require a steady supply of Hyper-go-on to be maintained.
Big's main weakness is that he is not the brightest bulb in the bunch. In addition, he is slow in many ways.
- Amy Rose (close friend)
- Blaze the Cat
- Cream the Rabbit (close friend)
- Dodon Pa
- E-123 Omega
- Froggy (best friend)
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Rouge the Bat
- Shade the Echidna
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Silver the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Team Chaotix
- Chaos (formerly)
- Dr. Eggman
- E-102 Gamma
- Metal Sonic
- Nocturnus Clan
- Sonic Channel (Japanese). Characters: Big. Sega. Archived from the original on 25 May 2019. Retrieved on 3 July 2015.
- Sumo Digital (23 February 2010). Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/Level: Big the Cat's profile card.
- Devra Newberger Speregen (2016). Sonic: The Ultimate Character Guide. Scholastic. p. 37. ISBN 978-1338033243.
- Sega. Official Sonic Heroes website (Japanese). Characters: Team Rose. Sega. Archived from the original on 11 December 2004. Retrieved on 25 May 2021.
- Sega of America. Big the Cat. Sonic Characters. Sega of America. Archived from the original on 5 March 2005. Retrieved on 26 October 2017. "This big guy showed up in Sonic Adventure toting his fishing pole and looking for his little friend, Froggy. Sure he's a bit slow, but they say slow and steady wins the race and in the case of Big, they would be right. He's been placed on Team Rose in Sonic Heroes next to Sonic's cutest girl friends, Amy Rose and Cream the Rabbit"
- Sonic Heroes (PlayStation 2) United States instruction booklet, pg. 9.
- Sumo Digital (23 February 2010). Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/Level: Character Select screen. "Big the Cat's profile card: Big is a large, purple, long-eared cat. He's laid-back, easy-going and has a gentle nature despite his prodigious strength. He loves to fish and is never without his trusty rod. He lives in the jungle near the Mystic Ruins with his friend, Froggy, a small, green frog with a pointed tail. Big's adventures often involve him trying to find Froggy, who has a tendency to get himself lost or swallow a chaos emerald."
- Sonic Adventure
- Sonic Team (6 February 2004). Sonic Heroes. PlayStation 2. Sega. Area/level: Opening sequence (Team Rose's storyline).
- Sonic Team (6 February 2004). Sonic Heroes. PlayStation 2. Sega. Area/level: Bullet Station. "Big: Hmm... I smell Froggy."
- Sonic Team (9 September 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Ending sequence (Big's storyline).
- Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast) United States instruction booklet, pg. 28.