Concept and creation
Beth the Shrew was named after Bill Freiberger's wife, Beth Sussman. Her voice and manner of speaking were based on a character from Fibber McGee and Molly, an old radio show that Freiberger liked when he was a kid.
Beth is a pink-furred, anthropomorphic shrew with pale peach skin and dark blue eyes. She has a long and sharp muzzle with a black snout, dark eyelids, a short tail, a longer-than-average torso, two round ears, thin limbs and four horizontal quills arranged in a line down the back of her head. Curiously, she also has a dark pink streak down each of her quills. For attire, she wears a white t-shirt with puffy sleeves, short-legged blue overalls, white gloves, and greenish-grey boots with white soles.
Hearing that an asteroid would impact the earth, Beth showed up to buy a spot in Eggman's bunker to ride out the impending apocalypse in. Although Beth did not get a spot, Team Sonic would stop the asteroid. She would soon after flee from the Village Center when Eggman launched an ambush on said location.
Another time, Beth came to Career Day to hear other people elaborate on their careers. She soon tried asking Sonic for his autograph, only to scare Sonic, who had just escaped an insane fan, away. Later hypnotized by Dreamcaster's TV broadcasts, Beth became Dr. Eggman's zombie slave, who had her and the hypnotized villagers build a world-controlling satellite. She would later attack Sticks when she came to the rescue, but was freed when Team Sonic foiled Eggman's plan. Beth was later inspired to buy some Fuzzy Puppy figurines from Orbot and resell one of them to a mystery buyer, unaware that Orbot was manipulating her. She would also run from the Egg Tank when Orbot invaded the Village. During a power outage in the Unnamed Village soon after, Beth would riot alongside the others villagers.
While at a town meeting, Beth learned that their village was named after Sticks' evil ancestor, Jebediah Badger. Eventually wanting the town renamed, Beth agreed to a referendum between Amy and Eggman's name propositions at another meeting. Beth later had to be evacuated from the youth center when Eggman attempted to destroy it. Coming to Meh Burger, Beth received premium service from the new robot employees (courtesy of Eggman) before watching Dave the Intern lose his job to one of these robots in a contest. Upon attenting the reopening of the improved Meh Burger however, Beth and the villagers got trapped in a force-field and sent towards space in Meh Burger by Eggman. Thanks to Team Sonic and Dave though, Beth was rescued, along with Meh Burger.
Winning the Science Fair Awards with her space diorama, Beth got a trophy and the right to observe the local top scientist, Tails. While amazed by Tails' work, Beth got more invested in seeing Knuckles break stuff after she (under Lady Walrus' watch) saw Team Sonic fight Eggman while following Tails. However, Beth felt overlooked when Tails and Knuckles got caught up in a shared experiment, and she began following Sticks around when the badger's theories caught her interest. When Tails later seemingly proved Muckfoot's existence with a photo, Beth would look up to Tails as a hero and take part in the ensuing Muckfoot Mania. She would therefore scorn Tails when the fox showed that his "Muckfoot" was just Knuckles covered in mud. Some time afterwards, Beth found the time to play with other kids on the beach. Beth was soon after nearly trampled by a widabit stampede while in the Village Center, but was saved in the last moment by Sonic.
One day, Beth had to run for her life again when Eggman's malware-infected robots went on an unparalleled blitzkrieg in the Village. While she tried to stay safe, Knuckles would inspire the villagers to fight back against the robots. After the robots withdrew though, Beth skipped out on the cleanup of the town. Joining the Lightning Bowler Society fan craze, Beth tried ordering their fast-food tie-in at Meh Burger, only to change her mind upon hearing that it had been rebranded. When local gossip then revealed that Dr. Eggman was no doctor, Beth began seeing him as a joke. She thus joined the villagers in mocking Eggman during the scientist's next trip to the Village. When Eggman did earn his doctorate, Beth watched his graduation ceremony. Beth later came under attack by Cubot when the latter went nuts and gained new gravity powers. Although Sticks kept her safe for a while, Beth ultimately got caught in the grasp of Cubot's gravity powers and taken towards space by Cubot. Thanks to Sonic and Tails though, Beth was brought down to earth again before she died from asphyxia.
While at the rec center, Beth's good time got interrupted when said location got closed. She soon after went to see a soccer match between Team Sonic and Team Cybonic that would decide the rec center's fate. When Team Sonic won, Mayor Fink declared that the rec center would be reopened at the cost of the library, much to Beth's joy. Beth later went to Meh Burger where she had a laugh from watching Morpho's poor attempt to impersonate Sonic. Over eight months afterward, Beth would eat at Meh Burger with Lady Goat on Race Day. She later almost got lured into a scam by T.W. Barker had Sonic not intervened. Getting into Scrambler after that, Beth was able to attend an exclusive promotional event through it. When the latest pie festival then arrived, Beth would drop by this event. Later, while in the library, Beth lent her library card to Eggman when the doctor needed books. She soon after found Eggman, who now had a condition that turned him into a cute creature, in the Village Center. While the other villagers laughed at Eggman because of his condition, Beth felt bad for him and soon went to Eggman's lair with some homemade cookies to cheer him up. While inside the lair however, Beth got trapped in its trash compactor. Fortunately, Eggman was able to get her out by morphing into his creature form, and Beth expressed her gratitude to Eggman with a hug.
Speaking in a slight country accent, Beth is sweet, polite, fun-loving and well-mannered. She is also uncommonly kind and sympathetic, having generously lent her library card to Dr. Eggman when he needed a book, in spite of the doctor's past villanous actions. She was also the only one in her village who not only felt bad for Eggman when he had an embarrassing condition (whereas the other villagers teased him), but also made attempts to cheer him up.
Beth's manner of speaking has a few quirks: she always refers to others as "mister" (regardless of gender) and she often ends her sentences with the words "I betcha". Like many other villagers, she appears to be a fan of Sonic.
Beth is a smart girl who loves science, having won the Science Fair Awards all on her own. Despite this, she has a child-like innocence and attention span. Highly curious, she often asks questions (some of which can be very profound in their simplicity) and tends to fumble around with things she do not understand. She is also very impressionable, being instantly fascinated by anyone's outstanding qualities, be it either Tails' intellect, Knuckles' brute strength, or Sticks' conspiracy theories.
- Beth is the first background character introduced in the second season of Sonic Boom with a confirmed name.
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (16 December 2016). Retrieved on 17 December 2016. “Tailooey Fan: Who is Beth's voice actor? / Bill Freiberger: VOColleen is the voice of Beth the Shrew.”
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Sellner, Joelle (1 April 2017). "Mombot". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 73. Boomerang.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Grenier, Benoit (21 October 2017). "Don't Make Me Angry". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 100. Boomerang.
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (12 December 2016). Retrieved on 13 December 2016. “Tailooey Fan: Who is the Sonic's fan girl from "The Bigegst Fan" final scenes? / Bill Freiberger: Beth the Shrew.”
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (18 March 2017). Retrieved on 18 March 2017. “Bill Freiberger: Beth the Shrew is named after my wife (who is not a shrew).”
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (27 May 2017). Retrieved on 28 May 2017. “Bill Freiberger: Her voice and manner are based on a character from an old radio show that I really liked when I was a kid.”
- ↑ Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (10 June 2017). Retrieved on 11 June 2017. “Alan Denton: Beth's voice is based on a character from the old radio series Fibber McGee and Molly”
- ↑ Sellner, Joelle (19 November 2016). "Spacemageddonocalypse". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 54. Boomerang.
- ↑ Grenier, Benoit (3 December 2016). "Alone Again, Unnaturally". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 56. Boomerang.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Lieblich, Doug (10 December 2016). "The Biggest Fan". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 57. Boomerang.
- ↑ Shriver, Pauk (31 December 2016). "In the Midnight Hour". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 60. Boomerang.
- ↑ Grenier, Benoit (21 January 2017). "The Evil Dr. Orbot". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 63. Boomerang.
- ↑ Raut-Sieuzac, Natalys (4 March 2017). "Blackout". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 69. Boomerang.
- ↑ Grenier, Benoit (11 March 2017). "Unnamed Episode". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 70. Boomerang.
- ↑ Baraou, Anne (18 March 2017). "Robot Employees". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 71. Boomerang.
- ↑ Burke, Kevin; Wyatt, Chris (8 April 2017). "Muckfoot". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 74. Boomerang.
- ↑ Lachenaud, Marine; Lachenaud, Cedric (22 April 2017). "Eggman's Brother". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 76. Boomerang.
- ↑ Saisselin, Peter (29 April 2017). "Do Not Disturb". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 77. Boomerang.
- ↑ Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg; Freiberger, Bill (13 May 2017). "Robots From The Sky Part 2". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 79. Boomerang.
- ↑ Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg; Freiberger, Bill (20 May 2017). "Robots From The Sky Part 3". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 80. Boomerang.
- ↑ Saisselin, Peter (10 June 2017). "Lightning Bowler Society". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 83. Boomerang.
- ↑ Freiberger, Sam (8 July 2017). "Mister Eggman". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 87. Boomerang.
- ↑ Beardmore, Marie (29 July 2017). "Eggman's Anti Gravity Ray". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 90. Boomerang.
- ↑ Freiberger, Sam (5 August 2017). "Victory". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 91. Boomerang.
- ↑ Lachenaud, Marine; Lachenaud, Cedric (19 August 2017). "Where Have All The Sonics Gone?". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 93. Boomerang.
- ↑ James, Jake (26 August 2017). "If You Build It They Will Race". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 94. Boomerang.
- ↑ Saisselin, Peter (2 September 2017). "Chain Letter". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 95. Boomerang.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (10 September 2017). "Vector Detector". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 96. Boomerang.