The Battle Kukkus are a group that appear in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. They were an ancient family of descendants from the Babylonians who led the Battle Bird Armada.
The Battle Kukkus grant themselves the top leadership positions with their self-founded Battle Bird Armada through birthright and nepotism. As a sign of rightful succession to lead the Armada, their lineage has passed an ancestral ring of Babylonian origins "from father to worthy son" for the past fifteen generations.
The Battle Kukkus originate from the an ancient culture known as the Babylonians who crash-landed on Mobius a millennium ago. While half of these people embraced travel and independence, the other half adopted a strict military lifestyle under the family of Battle Kukkus. The family would go on to found the Battle Bird Armada and adopt the self-entitlement as destined rulers of Mobius. To accomplish this goal though, the Battle Kukkus believed they first needed to recover their ancestors' lost relic, the Babylon Garden, and use the secrets it held within. Over five hundred years ago, the Battle Kukkus began passing down a Babylonian relic, the Gravity Ring, from father to "worthy" son.
By the time of the rule of the family's fifteenth Battle Lord and his son, the Key to Babylon Garden was found, allowing the Armada to locate the Garden itself, thereby putting them significantly closer to achieving their "great destiny".
However, the Battle Kukkus' destiny was not meant to be at that moment. Though the Armada succeeded in excavating the Garden from beneath the city of New Mobotropolis, they were met with unexpected complications. A trio of disloyal soldiers called the Babylon Rouges had found the key and been forced back into the Armada after a failed confrontation. Believing they would keep their word and honor their duty as reinstated assets, Grand Battle Kukku XV entrusted them with the key and Gravity Ring to activate the relic at the right moment, but they decided to take the Babylon Garden for themselves when the opportunity came. Another factor was Sonic the Hedgehog who boarded Babylon Garden to pursue the Rogues in retaliation for destroying his hometown. Between these issues, the Babylon Garden eventually came crashing out of the sky and into a mountain range, taking down the Armada's Battle Fortress too. With their destiny now lost to them for the moment, all the Battle Kukkus could do were attempt to salvage what they could from their defeat, and swear vengeance against those responsible for this disastrous turn of events.
- Note: From this point, the Battle Kukkus' history continues from its new existence in the altered timeline.
- Since the Grand Battle Kukku XV gave Jet the Gravity Ring, he could be considered the Battle Lord's 'worthy son' though he is not genetically related to them.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Battle Bird Armada"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Sonic Universe #34, "Babylon Rising Part 2: Reunion"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #30, "Inside Job Part 2: Any Port in a Storm"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #20, "Trouble in Paradise: Stuff of Heroes"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Sonic Universe #33, "Babylon Rising Part 1 Remembrance"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Sonic Universe #36, "Babylon Rising Part 4: Resurrection"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #18, "Trouble in Paradise Part Two: The Honeymoon's Over"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Sonic Universe #35, "Babylon Rising Part 3: Retribution"