The Bat Brain (created 3235) is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. It is a bat-based Badnik variant created by Dr. Ivo Robotnik and later by Dr. Eggman, and one of the Classic Badniks. It appears to function as a spy.
The classic Bat Brain, as its name implies, is a robotic bat with a purple bean-like body. They have metallic wings, firm claws as feet and an engine on their rear. They also have small pointy ears and large eyes with dots as pupils. The upgraded model is all silver and resembles a roboticized non-anthropomorphic bat.
Bat Brains were first seen in vast numbers along with a swarm of Buzzbombers. Sonic the Hedgehog saw them guarding one of Robotnik's airships. Accompanied by Antoine D'Coolette, Sonic was able to destroy the Bat Brains, Buzzbombers, and the airship.
Bat Brain was sometimes seen as more reliable than most badniks. For a time, he had the record for lasting the longest against Sonic. His best time of thirty-seven seconds beat out Grounder by twenty seconds, though Coconuts found a way to cave in that record. He also managed to validate Motobug's report of a wedding between Sonic and Princess Sally, though nobody realized that it was a play. Bat Brain was badly beaten in this ill-conceived battle.
The Good, The Bad & The Unknown
An upgraded version of Bat Brain was sent doing some reconnaissance, remotely operated by Dr. Eggman. Through Bat Brain's optics, Eggman saw Bunnie Rabbot enter a large hole in the ground where a large explosion had happened recently. Deciding that Bat Brain was not combat ready, Eggman sent Metal Sonic to investigate.
Island of Misfit Badniks
Bat Brain (the first model) was one of many badniks to appear on the Island of Misfit Badniks. Sonic smashed them up until Pseudo-Sonic showed up to actually fight Sonic. Bat Brain was the genius behind the "Bighorn Challenge," which sank the island. When the badniks planned their revenge scheme by enlarging Pseudo-Sonic, and the Forty Fathom Freedom Fighters intervened, Bat Brain was among the last badniks to fight, serving under Caterkiller's command. He suffered a hit from Bottlenose, a bigger hit from Pseudo-Sonic, and the biggest hit when Big Fluke smashed the badniks and the island.
Multiple Bat Brains later appeared in Marble Zone during the events of Operation: Clean Sweep, but this time they were created by Dr. Eggman. They appeared inside a ruin where Antoine decided to hide. They began to attack, but Sonic heard Antoine's pleads for help and destroyed every one of them.
Powers and abilities
Bat Brains are capable of flight, and can boost their speed with rocket boosters. They have two skills, dive-bombing foes, and spy work.
- Bat Brain is based on the badnik of the same name from the Genesis Game Sonic the Hedgehog.
- In Sonic the Hedgehog #226, the Bat Brains that appear in the issue strangely have no ears.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #170, "The Island of Misfit Badniks!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog "#2, "A Crowning Achievement"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #11, "Beat the Clock!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #18, "Wedding Bell Blues!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #40, "Court-martial"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #146, "The Good, The Bad & The Unknown Part One: Prototype"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #185, "Misfit Badniks: The Soggy, Salty Sequel"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #226, "Genesis Part One: In the Beginning..."
- ↑ Sonic Archives Vol. #2, "Who's Who: Bat Brain"