Barrier Eggman consists in a small room behind an impenetrable force field-like barrier. Within the room is a moving laser in the ceiling that is can be operated using a control panel just on the other side of the barrier. During the West Side Island incident, it also had floating drones with spikes below them.
Features and abilities
Barrier Eggman's moving laser cannon in the ceiling can be easily controlled with the control panel the room has. This can shoot powerful lasers that are deadly to its victims, although it requires a long time to charge.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
In Sonic the Hedgehog 2, its various ports and remasters, and the lock-on game Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Barrier Eggman is known as the Laser Prison (バリアエッグマン Baria Egguman?, lit. "Barrier Eggman"). In these games, the player encounters the Laser Prison at the end of Wing Fortress Zone. It is located at the cabin room of the air fortress where Dr. Robotnik is seen piloting the ship before the boss. After taking a small amount of Rings, the player finds themselves being trapped between activated laser walls, while Dr. Robotnik himself is laughing on the right side of the room.
A small hatch on the ceiling opens and small spinning platforms with spikes below them will arrive to float around the trapped room. A moving laser cannon will also appear on the ceiling of the cabin room, which eventually stops to load its laser attack. It will then shoot the laser to the floor before starting to move in the player's direction. After five seconds, it will stop shooting, turn itself off, and repeat its pattern over again.
The only way to get out of this trapped room is to destroy the laser cannon. This is possible when it stops and starts loading the laser cannon to its full power. The player must use the spinning platforms to reach the cannon, but they need to be careful not to touch the spiky undersides of the platforms, which can hurt the playable character. They also must make sure to not get hit by the laser blast that the cannon will shoot after charging enough.
By hitting the cannon eight times, it will be destroyed, which ends the battle. Unlike in other Zones, neither a Goal Plate or a Capsule appear to see the results, as Robotnik instead seen escaping to his space shuttle to travel to the Death Egg. After the player is freed from the trap room, Sonic arrives too late to the launch pad to stop the doctor, who has launched his space shuttle and takes off. After this, Tails arrives with the Tornado, now with a rocket add-on set below the biplane. After the sky chase, Sonic grabs hold of the ship and keeps hanging on until the space shuttle docks into the space station.
|"STH2 Boss 〜Mega Drive version〜"||Masato Nakamura||2:14|
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
Barrier Eggman later returns in Sonic & Knuckles and the lock-on game Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, as the first of two bosses that the player encounters in Flying Battery Zone Act 2. It is the fourth boss in Sonic & Knuckles, and the seventeenth (or sixteenth in Knuckles' story) in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles. In Sonic & Knuckles, it is fought by Sonic or Knuckles, while in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, it can also be fought by Tails either alone or as Sonic's partner. The player will be trapped in a room in the ship's exit hall. Robotnik is also seen controlling the moving laser cannon on the ceiling himself this time (when the player controls Knuckles, EggRobo can be seen controlling it).
In this version, there are no spiked platforms (meaning that the player cannot attack the laser cannon directly); instead, the room becomes smaller each time the laser is fired. Also, the laser is fired at a fixed spot during its duration meaning that the player simply has to avoid standing below the laser cannon when it is about to fire. To win this fight, the player only needs to survive after the laser is fired seven times. While it is possible to hit the laser cannon's eye using Sonic's Double Jump granted by a Lightning Shield, Sonic's enhanced jump as Super Sonic or Hyper Sonic or Tails' tails while flying, doing this will not affect the fight in any way.
After seven laser strikes, so much of the room is damaged that the barrier falls on its own. Robotnik panics, and escapes to the outside of the air fortress. After that, the player will follow Robotnik to the outside and must pass through the last platforming section of the Zone, where a long platform will raise up which the player must stay clear of until the end of the route, or they will eventually be crushed between the long platform and the ceiling. After this, the player will be able to ride up on the long platform for a moment, when the act's final boss (the Hang Mobile) arrives.
|"The Boss"||Sega||Sonic & Knuckles/Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles||1:05|
|Sonic & Knuckles Collection||"FM Synthesizer"||1:22|
In other media
Books and comics
Sonic the Comic
In the Sonic the Comic comic series and its spin-offs published by Fleetway Editions, Barrier Eggman appears as one of the many features of the Wing Fortress. In the recent past, Dr. Robotnik used this machine to destroy Sonic in the ship, although was defeated. In the present day, Sonic returned to the Wing Fortress to find that the defenses, including Barrier Eggman, have been left running on automatic. Having defeated the system before, he easily does so again by leaping onto a spiked platform and then hitting the laser cannon with a Spin Attack.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Barrier Eggman was created by Dr. Eggman as one of the many features of the Wing Fortress Zone. When Sonic the Hedgehog attacked the ship, Dr. Snively used Barrier Eggman in an attempt of destroying the hedgehog, although the machine was destroyed along with the Wing Fortress Zone.
Some time later, Dr. Eggman would recreate Barrier Eggman in the Flying Battery Zone to destroy Sonic and Tails there, but was defeated. A re-built Barrier Eggman would also be used by an Eggbot in an attempt to destroy Knuckles on the ship, but the machine was destroyed again.
- When a second player is controlling Tails during the Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles version of this boss, the second player can pass through the invisible wall in front of Robotnik.
- There is a glitch that allows the player to skip Barrier Eggman. At the start of the battle, by performing a Spin Dash from a specific point near the middle of the room, it is possible for the player to clip through the right barrier and be able to continue through to the rest of the stage as normal albeit various sprites of some objects (springs and clouds in the background) appear to be jumbled up with sprites of other objects.
- In Sonic the Hedgehog 2, if Sonic does not follow Robotnik downwards and instead jumps over to the pilot seat after beating the Laser Prison, there is a hidden Extra Life monitor to be found.
- The laser originally made no sound effects in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, but its Sonic & Knuckles sound effects were added in the 2013 remaster of the game.
- The Big Squeeze from Sonic Mania is loosely based on Barrier Eggman.
- Flynn, Ian; Sega (8 December 2021). "Sonic & Knuckles". Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia. Dark Horse Books. p. 55. ISBN 978-1506719276. "Bosses: Act 2 - Barrier Eggman. Dr. Eggman employes the same ceiling laser that he had on the Wing Fortress. Dodge the laser and let Dr. Eggman blast his own ship to pieces."
- (in Japanese) ソニックメガコレクション最強攻略ガイド. Shogakukan. 1 March 2003. p. 99. ISBN 978-4091060907.
- Flynn, Ian; Sega (8 December 2021). "Sonic The Hedgehog (16-bit)". Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia. Dark Horse Books. p. 24. ISBN 978-1506719276. "Boss: Dr. Eggman traps Sonic in the Laser Prison with spiked drones and a megalaser."
- Sonic the Comic #6, "Sonic the Hedgehog - Attack on the Death Egg"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #289, "Genesis of a Hero Part 2: Coming Back for More"