The Balkiry is a character that appears in the Sonic the Comic series published by Fleetway Editions. It is a bird-based Badnik variant created by Dr. Ivo Robotnik, and are standard flying units in the doctor's Badnik army.
Balkiries and Buzzers would get launched from a convention tower in the Chemical Plant Zone after Sonic and the Freedom Fighters were discovered in the crowd. All civilians believed this scene was a part of the show. They soon change their mind though when the Balkiries started dive-bombing them. Despite the strike, the Freedom Fighters managed to destroy the convention tower and the Badniks along with it by pushing a statue down on the tower.
Robotnik soon launched more Balkiries to capture Shortfuse the Cybernik. Instead, the Cybernik would relentlessly chase one after destroying the rest, but it got destroyed by Knuckles the Echidna when the chase took Shortfuse to the Floating Island. Another set of Balkiries later got shot down by Shortfuse the Cybernik himself and Tekno during a mission to the Chemical Plant Zone. While patrolling the Metropolis Zone, more Balkiries would spot some of the Freedom Fighters and help apprehend them, unaware that they were being played by the Freedom Fighters for a secret plan to infiltrate Robotnik's info center.
Later, some Balkiries kidnapped Amy Rose. Although Shortfuse saved Amy, it prompted the other Freedom Fighters to realize how badly they needed Sonic. Not long after, Balkiries and hundreds of other Badniks were sent to the Metropolis Zone by Grimer to attack the uprising rebels just before Robotnik's downfall, during which a global electromagnetic created by Super Sonic destroyed the Badniks.
After the fall of Robotnik's empire, later models of Balkiries were built with an electric attack, one of which accidentally revived Kog from under Citadel Robotnik. Balkiries were also sent for a surprise attack on the Freedom Fighters alongside other Badniks under the orders given by Agent X.
Powers and abilities
The Balkiries are essentially small jetplanes, capable of flying through the sky at great speeds.
- Before their debut in the comic, the Balkeries were first seen on the cover of Sonic the Comic #15. They also made a cameo as a model seen in the background in the story "Sonic the Human!" from Sonic the Comic #17.
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #46, "The Big Con"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #52, "Knuckles Versus the Cybernik"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #64, "Cybernik Strikes Back, Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #66, "Cybernik Strikes Back, Part 4"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #74, "Mission to the Metropolis Zone"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #89, "A New Hope"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #99, "No Exit"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #100, "The Final Victory"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #109, "Kog the Mighty"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #131, "Shady Characters"