- For the version of this group after the Super Genesis Wave, see Badnik Horde.
The Badnik Horde is a group that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. It is the robot army that serves as the military backbone of Dr. Robotnik's empire and later the Eggman Empire for over a decade. The units used have changed over time, but their purpose remains the same: overwhelm the enemy with numbers with an easily replenished stock of soldiers, each classified as a "Badnik."
Fighting the Knothole Freedom Fighters
In 3235, the Badniks were Dr. Robotnik's main bots used against the Knothole Freedom Fighters, along with SWATbots. In fact, the badnik Crabmeat seemed to act as Robotnik's main lackey, sometimes having higher rank than Snively. They were for the most part based on various Mobini, and possessed limited artificial intelligence. Some of the missions badniks were employed in included the Buzzbomber attack on Knothole, Burrobot's attempt to destroy the Great Forest, and Scratch and Grounder's attempt to kill Sonic. The badniks also participated in the Robotropolis Olympic Games, in which all of them managed to beat each member of the Knothole Freedom Fighters at each particular sport, until Sonic got his real sneakers back and won the games. The badniks were also used in the destruction of the Mobius Natural Park.
Robo Hobo Jungle
Following the incident of Sonic's roboticization into Mecha Sonic, the blue blur was given a time frame to prove his innocence before being sentenced to imprisonment. Sonic went to the Robo Hobo Jungle to find information on Nack the Weasel's whereabouts from the obsolete and unused badniks. Rather than simply giving Sonic the information he wanted, the badniks all converged on Sonic, hoping to redeem themselves in the eyes of their creator by taking Sonic down once and for all. Despite all of them converging on Sonic at once, the badniks were no match and were taken out of commission. After threatening to drag Caterkiller by his face across the ground at sonic speeds, the bot informed Sonic of Nack's location.
Island of Misfit Badniks
During a stroll, Sonic found one of Robotnik's old lookout posts, which had the blueprints for an island where the old badniks were repaired/retired. Sonic decided to investigate, and was promptly attacked. He took down most of the misfit badniks, but was evenly matched against Pseudo-Sonic, until the two decided to ram each other, and caused the island to sink. Unknown to Sonic, these rogue badniks simply moved the island underwater.
Later, the misfit badniks learned that Pseudo-Sonic could be enlarged, and attempted to do that. Unfortunately for them, the Forty Fathom Freedom Fighters fought off all of the badniks except for Burrobot, who woke up an enlarged Pseudo-Sonic, which led to Pseudo-Sonic defeating everyone until Fluke the Blue Whale sat on him and crushed all of the badniks and the island into a cube. Only Coconuts managed to escape.
Employed by Mammoth Mogul
Badnik refugees from the Robo Hobo Jungle were later taken in by Mammoth Mogul to working for him at his new Casino Night Club, along with the only misfit badnik still functioning Coconuts, who was now working as a butler directly for Mogul while his old partners, Scratch and Grounder, had jobs as a concierge and chef respectively.
List of Badniks
- Classic Badniks
- Assaulting Batter Blimp
- Ball Hog
- Bat Brain
- Monkey Dude
- Shard the Metal Sonic
- Silver Sonic v1.0
- Silver Sonic v2.0
- Silver Sonic v3.0
- Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad
- Super-powered 'Bots
- E-100 Series
- E-100 Alpha (destroyed)
- E-101 Beta (destroyed)
- E-102 Gamma (defected; destroyed)
- E-103 Delta (destroyed)
- E-104 Epsilon (destroyed)
- E-105 Zeta (destroyed)
- E-105 Army (destroyed)
- E-106 Eta (destroyed)
- E-107 Theta (believed to be destroyed)
- E-108 Iota (destroyed)
- E-109 Kappa (destroyed)
- E-110 Lambda (destroyed)
- E-111 Mu (destroyed)
- E-112 Nu (destroyed)
- E-113 Xi (destroyed)
- E-114 Omicron (destroyed)
- E-115 Pi (destroyed)
- E-116 Rho (destroyed)
- E-117 Sigma (destroyed)
- E-118 Tau (destroyed)
- E-119 Upsilon (destroyed)
- E-120 Phi (destroyed)
- E-121 Chi (destroyed)
- E-122 Psi (destroyed)
- E-123 Omega (defected)
- Egg Flapper
- Egg Hammer
- Egg Mite
- Egg Pawn
- Egg SWAT
- Metal Series
- Titan Metal Sonic
- Wing Dingo
Badniks from alternate zones
- Badnik (Discovery Zone)
- The Badnik Horde is composed of Badnik characters from a couple of Sonic-related medias:
- Starting with Sonic the Hedgehog #226, the Badniks were redesigned to look more like their post-Sonic Generations design.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "The Badnik Horde"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #1, "Meet Me at the Corner of Hedgehog & Vine!"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #3, "Rabbot Deployment!"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #2, "Triple Trouble!"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #5, "Olympic Trials and Errors"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #7, "Uncle Chuck's Treasure!"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #40, "Court-martial"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #170, "The Island of Misfit Badniks!"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #185, "Misfit Badniks: The Soggy, Salty Sequel"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #187, "Mister Popular"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #188, "Beating the House"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #226, "Genesis Part One: In the Beginning..."