- This miniseries takes place between Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 29 — Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 30
Southern Crossover - Part Three
- Writer: Mike Gallagher
- Pencils: Mike Gallagher and Dave Manak
- Inks: Harvo
- Colors: Barry Grossman
- Letters: Mindy Eisman
- Editor: Scott Fulop
- Managing Editor: Victor Gorelick
- Editor-in-chief: Richard Goldwater
Tails continues to write his own comic book, "Tails to Astonish", recounting the past two issues with his own bias, under the guise of Captain Super Fox-Man.Tails looks up to Athair while looking over his comic, thinking it is too wordy. The old echidna, however, has more important things to focus on and tells him to put the comic away. As he puts the comic away, Athair tells Tails that he has much to learn and has a lot of healing, so he picks up the fox and leads him to the Ancient Walkers in the crater cave they are in. Athair claims that the knowledge from the Ancient Walkers will cure all his ills, and that Tails has been chosen to share the past and the future. He calls on Tails to listen, as the Ancient Walkers prepare to share their tales.
Tails, on the other hand, is in a hurry to help the Freedom Fighters. This angers Athair, as he claims his ancestors were also always busy, busy worrying about technological advancement instead of the nature of Mobius. He goes on to say despite all their technology, they did not see a White Comet on a collision course for their city until it was close to the planet. All they could do was lift their city off the ground, forming the Floating Island.
Athair's words confuse Tails, as he speaks in riddles, so he tries to convince Athair to speak in a way he would understand, as he knows Sonic, who knows Knuckles. Athair also claims to know Knuckles, claiming his family has been in charge of protecting the Floating Island, showing the faces of the many guardians on the cave wall. Tails then realizes that Athair is actually Knuckles' great grandfather. This, however, has distracted Athair from his original discussion, but Tails has heard enough and wants to go help his friends. Athair tries to convince Tails to stay, but Tails refuses to "watch a bunch of statues". Suddenly, the Ancient Walkers move, revealing their lively state, and grab Tails. Athair then claims that time, to them, is in an abundance.
In Crocbot's fortress, Robotnik calls up his underboss to check on his progress with the Robo-Blimp. Robotnik is angry that the unloading of his blimp has been delayed. Crocbot cuts the transmission short, saying he will take care of the issue. The issue being the Downunda Freedom Fighters preparing to storm the fortress. Crocbot decides to take care of the problem himself, donning a gator-tooth hat and leaving a TV on so Wombat Stu can watch in horror. He then takes a CD and places it inside his newest creation: the C.D. ROM Ram. The CD activates the ram, preparing it for battle. The Downunda Freedom Fighters reach the fortress, noticing the blimp leaving the area and a large door opening in the fortress. Before they can react, the ram bursts out and hits them all.
Back in the crater, someone is telling the history of Mobius. The beginning of life on the planet started with sentient life coming out of the primordial ooze, eventually spawning into numerous species over the many years and forming the Saurian Era, an era dominated by Mobosaurs. One day, the sky went green and the planet fell into an ice age, destroying most life. Those who survived, however, bore witness to the Coming of the Chaos Emeralds. Over the centuries, the Chaos Emeralds developed many ways of life, from worship to technological advances, to technical advnatages that drove some mad. A prophecy is told that the Chaos Emeralds will align for a greater purpose in an event known as the Great Harmony, once the Chosen One gathers them together.
Tails and Athair are shown sitting in front of a fire, with Tails in a dazed state. Athair explains the Ancient Walkers were talking through and to Tails. Athair jokingly says they are just a bunch of statues and could not have been the ones talking to Tails. Tails scoffs, thinking he got injured more than he thought. Athair then notes about his lack of injuries, as Tails realizes that his body has been fully healed. Athair says that's good, as he will need everything he has in the near future
Suddenly, from outside the crater, Barby Koala comes flying in and lands in Tails arms. Although not formally introduced to her, he recognizes her. He puts her down as she explains the C.D. ROM Ram rammed into her and sent her flying all the way to the crater. Barby invites Tails to help them fight Crocbot, and he accepts, but he wants to thank Athair for his help. Tails turns around, only to see that Athair and the Ancient Walker have vanished. Despite his confusion, they shake hands and agree to fight together. He grabs Barby and flies out of the crater with her.
Outside Crocbot's fortress, the C.D. ROM Ram is having no problem dealing with the other Downunda Freedom Fighters. With them distracted, Robotnik brings the blimp back to the fortress and prepares to unload the supplies. Whith the other Freedom Fighters out, Walt Wallabee takes out a Bomberang from his pouch and throws it at the ram. The bomb works and the ram is destroyed right in front of Crocbot's eyes via a monitor. To prevent defeat, he orders the blimp to quickly dock, bringing out a mooring arm from the roof of the fortress. Right before the blimp docks, Tails flies in with Barby, who gives Crocbot a quick kick to the back, causing him to move the joystick, and thus the docking arm, out of place. The electric mooring arm hits the blimp incorrectly, causing it to quickly catch on fire, downing it beside the fortress.
Crocbot bows down in defeat, while Barby releases Wombat Stu from his table restraints. Crocbot, however, whacks Tails with his tail and runs down a nearby corridor. He enters a room which contains his ace in the hole: a nuclear-powered Mega-Mecha Tank. He crashes through the wall of his fortress and quickly drives by the Freedom Fighters outside to make an escape. Duck "Bill" Platypus watches as he escapes, but the others see Barby and Tails arrive. Guru Emu develops an idea to stop Crocbot, asking Walt if he still has any bomberangs.
With a bomberangs in hand, Tails carries Guru Emu into the air and catches up with Crocbot. Despite his passive nature, Emu feels a need to end the "peace train", launching the bomberangs at the tank. It hits, causing Crocbot to lose control of his steering. He zigs and zags through the plains and crashes into the crater, causing the tank to explode in a nuclear cloud. Tails and Emu catch up and witness the remaining cloud emanating from the crater, curiously in the shape of Athair's head.
Later on, on a beachfront in Downunda, Barby extends an invitation to Tails to join the Downunda Freedom Fighters. Tails appreciates the offer, but tells them his place is Knothole. He realizes that they only protected him out of love. Tails wants to go home, but has no way to get there. As he cries, he hears a familiar voice. He looks into the sea to see Ray and Bottlenose, who mention that they have a surprise for him. They reveal the Sea Fox, now completely repaired. Ray explains his friend "Brain Coral" fixed it up
Tails hops into his fixed submarine, as the Downunda Freedom Fighters sadly say goodbye. Tails comes up with an idea. He jumps out of his sub and high fives everybody in the group by flying over them. Tails gets back in his sub and tells everyone he intends to tell Sonic the Hedgehog and Sally Acorn that there is, indeed, Freedom Fighters all over the planet.
- Ancient Walkers
- Badnik Horde
- Captain Super Fox-Man (Fantasy)
- C.D. ROM Ram (first appearance)
- Dimitri (flashback)
- Doctor Robotnik
- Downunda Freedom Fighters
- Forty Fathom Freedom Fighters
- Knothole Freedom Fighters
- Knuckles the Echidna (mentioned)
- Mobosaurs (flashback)
- Wing Dingo (mentioned)( and in Tails to Astonish)
- Prime Zone
- The crashing of Robotnik's Robo-Blimp is similar to that of the Hindenburg disaster, including the commentary "Oh the humanity!"
- Sonic Checklist: A comic subscription page for subscribing to:
- 6 to 12 future issue of the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series.
- All three issues of the Princess Sally miniseries.
- Issues 0 and 3 of the Sonic the Hedgehog miniseries.
- All three issues of the Tails miniseries.
- Sonic & Knuckles.
- Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble.
- Knuckles' Chaotix.
- Sonic the Hedgehog In Your Face!
- Issue 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 of the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series.
- De-Tails: A "Tails-version" of Sonic-Grams that includes:
- Athair: No...you misunderstand! You must remain here and learn the way!
- Tails: Just show me the way out!
- Athair: Please...you have been chosen! The Ancient Walkers wish to commune-
- Tails: Talk to a bunch of statues? Sorry...there's no time!
- Athair: (after the Ancient Walkers grab Tails) That's where you are wrong, Tails... time is one thing we have in abundance!
- Walt: Are you sure you won't reconsider, mate? We'd be proud to have you join the Downunda Freedom Fighters!
- Barby: You'd learn to love it here, Tails!
- Tails: I...I really appreciate the offer (choke), but my place is in Knothole... (sob) I miss my friends! (sigh) I was mad before, but I know now that they (huck), did it out of love for me...
- The events portrayed on the cover bear several differences from the the events of the actual issue.
- Tails and Athair are shown fighting Crocbot against a burning background. These events never take place within the issue.
- The tank Crocbot is seen piloting on the cover bears no resemblance to the tank he pilots in the issue.
- Crocbot's eyes are colored completely yellow on the cover, while in the issue his eyes are white with black pupils.