- 1 Official solicitation
- 2 Featured stories
- 3 Quotes
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Gallery
- 6 External links
Sonic Adventure 2
- When Station Square's chaos emerald is stolen by a super fast hedgehog, Sigma Alpha-2 goes searching for the most likely culprit...Sonic the Hedgehog.
As the Shadow Awakes
- The military comes to ARK to take over Project Codename: Shadow.
Sonic Adventure 2
- Writer: Karl Bollers
- Pencils & Colors: Patrick Spaziante
- Inks: Harvey Mercadoocasio
- Inks & Colors: Nelson Ribeiro
- Letters: Jeff Powell
- Editor and Art Director: J. F. Gabrie
- Managing Editor: Victor Gorelick
- Editor-in-Chief: Richard Goldwater
Three months ago, Doctor Eggman was being chased by his Silver Sonic II after it was reprogrammed by Nate Morgan to protect Station Square. Eggman is chased all the way to Prison Island and falls through the floor, supposedly to his death. He instead fell into a closed prison/lab and, upon inspection of a data log, finds it belonged to his grandfather Gerald Robotnik and contains new weapons for Eggman to try out.
One week ago, Shadow the Hedgehog steals a Chaos Emerald from a Station Square bank. Silver Sonic tries to stop him but is easily destroyed. Detective J.J. Moto is given the case, who gives the president the bank's security films. The president recognizes Shadow as Sonic and hires Rouge the Bat to recover the emerald.
24 hours ago, a team of GUN operatives leave Station Square and capture Sonic the Hedgehog with an electric net. In the helicopter to Station Square, Sonic notices a loose screw. He takes out most of the crew and busts out mid-flight. Using a piece of the helicopter as a board he slides into the city and escapes briefly only to find himself being chased by a large GUN truck.
- Amy Rose (portrait)
- Bertha Kintobor (mentioned)
- Big the Cat (portrait)
- Dr. Eggman
- Gerald Robotnik (mentioned)
- Guardian Units of the Nation (first appearance)
- J.J. Moto (only appearance)
- Knothole Freedom Fighters (portrait)
- President (first appearance)
- Secretary (first appearance)
- Shadow the Hedgehog (first appearance)
- Silver Sonic v2.0
- GUN Military Truck (only appearance)
- The scene where Sonic breaks out of the GUN helicopter is a word-for-word recreation of the same scene in Sonic Adventure 2, albeit with a few extra bits of dialogue added in.
- This the first full story penciled by Patrick Spaziante since Sonic the Hedgehog #39.
- Sonic is seen wearing his standard sneakers in this issue, while in the game he wears a pair of 2G Hi-Speed Shoes. This is most likely because an early demo version of the game, which was likely used as reference for this issue, featured Sonic in his standard footwear.
As the Shadow Awakes
- Writer: Ken Penders
- Pencils: Ron Lim
- Inks: Pam Eklund
- Colors: Frank Gagliardo
- Letters: Vickie Williams
Some time ago, Professor Gerald Robotnik is trying to unlock the secrets of immortality in the space station ARK. He talks half to himself, half to a creature in a tube. There is a power surge and Gerald expresses excitement in realizing the creature in the tube lives. His granddaughter Maria appears on a screen, asking what happened and to tell him that a space shuttle from Station Square is coming towards them. Gerald orders Maria to come to him. The shuttle docks and the military boards, attempting to retrieve "Project: Shadow" from Gerald, as he doesn't believe the military should have it. Gerald tries to stall the men while Maria and Shadow escape in a pod. Shadow gets in but Maria—a young, crippled girl—is shot in the back by the military. Shadow and his pod escapes.
Gerald is taken to a prison/lab on Prison Island and is forced to make another Shadow. The original Shadow's pod washes ashore but is empty. Angry at his granddaughter's death, Gerald plots his revenge. He built a laser cannon in the ARK strong enough to destroy planets. Shadow has a piece of Gerald's DNA in him so that, should he die, Shadow will make his revenge. Robotnik also makes a chip detailing his plans and hides it in the lab. Worried Gerald is pulling a fast one, the Station Square military pulls the plug on the project and has Gerald executed. The chip remains hidden.
- Aurora (mentioned)
- Gerald Robotnik (first appearance)
- Guardian Units of the Nation
- G.U.N. Colonel (only appearance)
- Maria Robotnik (first appearance)
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Prime Zone
- Eclipse Cannon (mentioned)
- Project Shadow
- Maria's hair was mistakenly colored brown in this story.
Knuckles tells Spaziante and Harvo to not rush the artwork. This angers them and Knuckles soon finds himself drenched in India ink. A co-worker says goodbye to the echidna and tells him she knows how to get rid of the ink.
- Rico: Where'd-
- Trooper: -it-
- Spike: -go to?
- Sonic: (while holding their guns in his arms) Wouldn't it be better to ask "What happened to our guns?" instead?
- Sonic: (after escaping the chopper) *thinking* Talk about low-budget flights—no food or movies. I'm outta here! 'sides...I'd feel better running!
- This issue is based off of Sonic Adventure 2.
- As the stories in this issue only adapt the beginning of the game, the rest of the story would later be told through flashbacks in Sonic Universe #2.