- A trip to Robotropolis to rescue the roboticized Overlanders baffles Sonic and Bunnie, as many of the Overlanders haven't even been roboticized! Meanwhile, Kodos has gone over the top, affected by radiation, leading Sonic and Bunnie to assist Arachnis in battle against Kodos as they attempt to make their way through the Great Forest. Is Kodos' condition part of a bigger threat? Can Arachnis be trusted? And just what can Robotnik be up to by allowing the Overlanders to exist free of roboticization?
When Destiny Calls
- His fellow echidnas might not have the answers to Knuckles' problem, but Athair believes he does. He recruits Tails, along with Merlin Prower, to assist with the solution, leading to the moment many have asked for: the ultimate destiny of Sonic's major domo revealed...
- Writer: Karl Bollers
- Pencils: James Fry
- Inks: Pam Eklund and Jim Amash
- Colors: Frank Gagliardo
- Letters: Jeff Powell
- Editor & Art Director: J. F. Gabrie
- Managing Editor: Victor Gorelick
- Editor-in-Chief: Richard Goldwater
Sonic the Hedgehog rushes out of school, amazed that he managed to survive his first day of classes in Knothole High School, and rushes to Castle Acorn. Before he can enter the castle, he is stopped by Geoffrey St. John. Sonic explains that he has come to see Princess Sally, but Geoffrey tells him that he needs to schedule an appointment first and forbids him from entering.
In Robotropolis, Dr. Eggman reunites Colin Kintobor with his son, Snively. Colin introduces his son to Lady Agnes and his step-sister, Hope. Meanwhile, Kodos Lion goes on a rampage as he bursts out of the Robotropolis sewers, furious to find that the Sword of Acorns has gone missing. He attacks a few nearby Shadowbots, but is eventually overwhelmed by their numbers and flees the city. The overlanders of Robotropolis praise Eggman for saving them from the furry menace.
Sonic walks home, noticing that Tails has gone missing along the way. He greets his mother and heads to his room, where he lies in his bed and bides his time. That night, Sonic decides to sneak out of the house. Bunnie sees him leaving and asks what he is doing out so late. Unable to legally leave Knothole Village by King Elias' orders, Sonic explains that he is sneaking out to Robotropolis to guide the overlanders out before they end up roboticized. Bunnie tells him that his plan is crazy and offers to help.
Sonic and Bunnie arrive at Robotropolis, but are surprised to see that the overlanders are behaving like normal civilians rather than prisoners. They leave the city to head back home and Bunnie suggests Eggman might have a soft spot for the overlanders. As they leave the Forbidden Zone and head into the Great Forest, they find Kodos and Uma Arachnis locked in combat.
Kodos screams and thrashes about, swinging wildly at Uma Arachnis. In Robotropolis, Eggman calls Snively to his lab to show him just why he has not roboticized the city's citizens yet. He shows Snively exactly what he plans to do with the overlanders; Snively is overcome with happiness as he looks over his uncle's diabolical plan. Meanwhile, Hope heads to Lady Agnes' room. She tells her grandmother that she was frightened earlier that day by a robot that looked like an animal. Agnes assures her that there must be an explanation and helps the child fall asleep.
Sonic attacks Kodos, noticing that he seems less sane than normal. Kodos lands on the ground and seems to be knocked out. However, he grabs Bunnie when she comes closer to check and flings her into Sonic. When the duo manages to get back to their feet, Sonic demands that Bunnie head back to Knothole Village. Despite her objections, Bunnie begrudgingly does so. Sonic heads through the Great Forest, thinking to himself that Kodos was acting too unpredictably for anyone else to handle. He wonders why Kodos and Arachnis were fighting when the giant lion sneaks up behind him. Sonic manages to dodge his attack, but ends up stuck in a massive spider web.
Sonic panics, thinking Kodos is going to gut him while he is stuck in the web, but is surprised to see Uma Arachnis swoop out of the shadows and beat Kodos until he loses consciousness. Sonic anticipates that Arachnis will want to fight him next, but she cuts free and vanishes. Despite his confusion, Sonic carries Kodos away. As he leaves, he fails to notice a number of eggs held in webs high above in the forest's trees.
- Badnik Horde
- Shadowbot (multiple)
- Bernadette Hedgehog
- Colin Kintobor
- Dr. Eggman
- Geoffrey St. John
- Jules Hedgehog
- Knothole Freedom Fighters
- Kodos Lion
- Hope Kintobor
- Lady Agnes Hopkins
- Maximillian Acorn (mentioned)
- Snively Robotnik
- Uma Arachnis
Races and species:
- Prime Zone
- Roboticization (mentioned)
When Destiny Calls
- Writer & Inks: Ken Penders
- Pencils: Ron Lim
- Colors: Frank Gagliardo
- Letters: Vickie Williams
- Editor: J. F. Gabrie
Chaos Knuckles finds himself in the icy tundra, overcome with pain as his incredible Chaos Force-derived powers tear him apart from the inside. Suddenly, Tails appears before Knuckles, having been teleported to his location by Athair. Tails asks why Knuckles seems to be in pain; Athair explains that it is part of their plan for Knuckles' evolution. Tails is unable to understand why someone would want to hurt Knuckles and rushes to his friend's side.
Tails tries to get Knuckles' attention, but he is pushes aside when the Floating Island appears before them. Knuckles discharges a massive wave of energy, which Athair shields Tails from with his own powers, and disappears. Athair teleports Tails to the island, where Knuckles has gone to search for his family. Knuckles sobs to himself as he clutches his head, trying to make the pain go away. Tails once again tries to comfort his friend, but Knuckles lashes out and punches Tails in the face. Knuckles releases another burst of energy, causing debris to fall and knock Tails out.
Athair teleports Tails to Merlin Prower. The wizard tucks his nephew into a nearby bed and prepares to heal his wounds. Athair warns that they do not have time and must awaken the Chosen One. Merlin argues that a young boy should not be tasked with saving the echidna race, but Athair argues that the situation with Knuckles has grown out of control and may endanger the whole world. Merlin continues to argue that point, asking what his nephew could do if the Ancient Walkers cannot stop Knuckles. Athair explains that the Walkers are dying and Tails' power is necessary.
- Ancient Walkers (mentioned)
- Athair (fantasy)
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Locke (mentioned)
- Merlin Prower
- Miles "Tails" Prower
Races and species:
- In this story, Tails is referred to as Merlin's "youngest nephew," which would imply that Tails has siblings or cousins.
- Sonic Checklist
- Kodos: Raaarghh! So-wuuuurd!
- Sonic: Duh! Except it's an axe, dude, but thanks for the -- what the --?!
- In a letter at the end of Sonic the Hedgehog #200's Sonic-Grams, Mike Pellerito mentioned that Patrick Spaziante hid a secret message in this cover's webs. No further information has been released on the matter. "Spaz" and "Harvo" are written in webbing in the lower right corner of the cover and, according to a post on Bumbleking, the cover may be showing a message of E.V.E. and her different forms (cobra, wasp, robot).