- The return of the strangest characters to ever grace the pages of Sonic: Horizontal and Vertical! Not seen since Sonic #4, Al and Cal are even more insane than they ever here. How do Sonic and Tails fit in this story? Let's just say they have no choice in this matter but to be involved.
Tales Of The Freedom Fighters - The People's Princess
- Sally and her friends decide to take a little time off sky diving and after dinner, they return home happily. But King Acorn tells Geoffrey to escort Sally to him because he has something planned for her... the question is- "what?"
Sonic & Tails in "Opposites Detract"
- Writer: Mike Gallagher
- Pencils: Art Mawhinney
- Inks: Jim Amash
- Colors: Lisa Ieraci
- Letters: Jeff Powell
- Editor: J. Freddy Gabrie
- Managing Editor: Victor Gorelick
- Editor-in-Chief: Richard Goldwater
Sonic and Tails come across a dome-like breach to an unknown zone. They are sucked inside to find Verti-Cal and Horizont-Al's zone, which Sonic had visited in the past. The duo dodge a blast sent from a large and robotic Horizont-Al. Verti-Cal is seen alongside him, also large and robotic. They plan to force Sonic and Tails fight each other for their amusement and to decide who was superior.
According to the mechanized duo, the Ultimate Annihilator decimated their zone to a sub-atomic level. The zone eventually regained its form but Verti-Cal and Horizont-Al's bodies were altered into large, mechanical machines of destruction that forced them to enact a war between themselves, as they no longer trusted each another.
Sonic and Tails are exposed to the zone's substances and atmosphere, turning them into armored warriors. Tails fought for Horizont-Al while Sonic fought for Verti-Cal. Sonic and Tails proceed to fight. Sonic almost defeats Tails with one last spin-dash but as Tails gradually began to remember who he was, he reminds Sonic as well. The friends reconcile much to the shock of both Verti-Cal and Horizont-Al.
Sonic and Tails attempt to get Verti-Cal and Horizont-Al acting as friends once again but to no avail, forcing the furry duo to run away from the ensuing destruction. They manage to return back to Mobius, with the entrance to the zone deteriorating. Tails expresses his wonder about how Verti-Cal and Horizont-Al will keep fighting forever but Sonic becomes more concerned about finding a chili dog.
Tales of the Freedom Fighters: Princess Sally "The People's Princess"
- Written & Colored by: Ken Penders
- Illustrated by: Manny Galan & Jim Amash
- Lettered by: Jeff Powell
- Edited by: J. Freddy Gabrie
Sally, Rotor, Hamlin, Hershey, Erik and Lupe are seen skydiving to the ground. Erik gets caught in a tree, leaving Sally to cut him down from it. The whole team regroups and they are invited by a small family in a cottage to come and dine with them. Afterwards, the team return to Mobotropolis where Rosie offers Sally some hot cocoa before bed. Geoffrey St. John and Maximillian Acorn are seen overlooking this conversation and the king asks for Geoffrey to send a royal escort to bring Sally to him, as she had been avoiding him.
- Portals to alternate Zones have been opening on Mobius ever since the activation of the Ultimate Annihilator in Sonic the Hedgehog #50, "The Big Goodbye".
- Horizont-Al and Verti-Cal previously appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog #2, "Vertigo A'Go Go!", as mentioned in editorial comment. The editorial comment says that Al and Cal made one other brief appearance (and invites readers to write to Sonic Grams to identify it), but actually they made two: a one-page, fourth wall–breaking appearance in Sonic the Hedgehog #4, "Horizont-Al & Verti-Cal", and a cameo appearance inside a virtual reality machine in Sonic the Hedgehog #16, "Sonic Under Glass, Part II".
- The Find Your Name in Print Page
- Fan Art: Sonic
- Sonic-Grams: A message from editor J. Freddy Gabrie advertises the three issues going on sale in April 1998: Sonic the Hedgehog #60, Sonic Super Special #5, and Knuckles the Echidna #13.
- Pin-up: An unused, uncolored cover for the issue, illustrated by Patrick Spaziante and Harvey Mercadoocasio, is presented as a pin-up for readers to color themselves.
- This issue's cover art shows Al and Cal fighting over a Sega Saturn. A Sonic Jam disc can be seen popping out of the top, and a Sonic R case is floating in the right hand corner.