Lizard of Odd
- The first story to feature Super Sonic! Robotnik has decided to roboticise the ultimate creature - but due to Swatbot incompetence all he gets is a salamander. But thanks to a Buzzbomber that pulls the wrong switch it grows out of control becoming The Universalamander! But this robot isn't under Robotnik's control, and acting as a free agent he proceeds to destroy everything in site!
Cover Corner Box
Robotnik, holding a flag with an R on it, exclaims "Today, the corner box...tomorrow, the world!"
The Lizard of Odd!
- Writer: Michael Gallagher
- Pencils: Dave Manak
- Inks: Henry Scarpelli
- Colors: Barry Grossman
- Letters: Bill Yoshida
- Editor: Victor Gorelick
- Editor-in-Chief: Richard Goldwater
Dr. Robotnik is ambitious for a super robot to take out the Freedom Fighters, and he thinks it will come true once the animal-capturing truck arrives with an animal inside. The SWATbots report to Robotnik and open the truck, only to find that it's a salamander (Robotnik had specifically ordered a big animal to be captured, and the salamander was "big enough for its age"). Infuriated by the measly capture, Robotnik sends the three SWATbots to the "Slag Shop" and decides to throw the salamander into the roboticizer. Becoming sweaty, Robotnik orders a Buzzbomber to turn up the air conditioner, but the Badnik accidentally turns the robot size increasing lever. The Roboticised Salamander sizes destroys the building and dubs himself "Universalamander".
Later, Rotor sees the Universalamander going on a rampage through the Great Forest. Sonic goes out of Knothole to face the lizard and sees Robotnik fleeing on his Egg Mobile. Face to face with the Universalamander, Sonic attacks it with a Sonic Spin, only for the lizard to eat him. Shocked, the Freedom Fighters think Sonic is a goner.
The Freedom Fighters lament Sonic's supposed death, when Sally sees something wrong with the Universalamander. He then spits Sonic out because Sonic started making loops in his jaws at super speed. The robot attempts to smash Sonic with a tree while Sonic escapes. Sonic explains he recently collected seven Chaos Emeralds and fifty Power Rings. He then goes into the Special Zone via a Star Post. After collecting 50 rings in the Special Zone, Sonic transforms into Super Sonic and begins to fight the robot.
Seeing that his normal attacks don't work, Sonic goes into Knothole and asks Boomer for his Shrink Ray. The Freedom Fighters continue to watch Sonic on the screen, but then realize that Sonic was in Knothole at the same time. Sonic uses Boomer's Shrink Ray on Universalamander. The robot lizard flees before Sonic steps on him. During a celebratory dinner afterwords, Sonic puts a whoopee cushion on Antoine's chair, making Boomer remark "Super Sonic has a Super sense of humor!".
- Badnik Horde
- Dr. Ivo Robotnik
- Knothole Freedom Fighters
- The story's name, The Lizard of Odd, is an obvious pun of The Wizard of Oz.
- Sonic directly tells the reader to help him get the rings in the Special Zone. A Sega Genisis controller is drawn on the page with the label "Help Sonic gather rings!".
Antoine's Van Refrain!
Antoine is quoting Cyrano de Bergerac and one of his plays, making numerous references to vanity. In the end, he flops on the floor, only to be awaken by Sally asking if he's done assembling her vanity. He picks up the instructions, causing him a great amount of confusion.
Horizont-Al & Verti-Cal
The two beings known as Horizont-Al and Verti-Cal introduce themselves, saying they've received many Sonic-grams asking for their return. They tell the reader about themselves, that they live in a special zone where there are no laws of physics. Horizont-Al throws a baseball at Verti-Cal, but it wobbles all over the place and causes Verti-Cal to miss and strike. With no laws of physics, they have the 'wickedest' curve ball ever seen.
The Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad are not happy with Sonic. Coconuts throws a coconut on the ground, causing it to explode, and says he'll destroy Sonic with one of them. Meanwhile, Scratch says he'll peck Sonic into submission, pecking at the wall to demonstrate. Grounder launches some missiles from his hands, saying he can take care of Sonic with his Sonic misguided missiles.
On the other side of the room, a receptionist for a villain audition behind a desk tells the three to keep quiet. A number of other villains in the audition watch the three unhappily, thinking they're showing off.
- This story features cameos from Lex Luthor, the Green Goblin and Dr. Doom (respectively, Superman, Spider-Man and The Fantastic Four's nemeses), rating Coconuts, Scratch and Grounder's villainous performance with low grades (the Goblin calling them "show-offs").
Sonic, while traveling through Knothole, comes upon Bunnie Rabbot, who has opened a hair salon and invites Sonic in, saying she'll fix up his hair after she is done with Sally. She takes a seat as Bunnie walks over, saying her life goal is to be a hair stylist, fighting Robotnik otherwise. She tells Sonic to come in, and that her work will only take one second as she has one style. She sticks her robotic foot in a nearby water puddle and puts her robotic hand into Sally's hair, causing it to frizz, proclaiming it as 'instant permanent'. Sally looks in a mirror pleased, but Sonic is not.
- This is the first issue Bunnie hair dresses Princess Sally. She would do this once again in Sonic the Hedgehog #177.
Tails' Little Tale
Tails is tired of not being a part of any adventures or missions and decides to go up against Robotnik by himself while Sonic rests. He flies out to search for any sign of Robotnik and his Badniks (who are having a party right behind Tails below a cliff), but is captured by a Orbinaut and Buzzbomber. Tails panics and wonders what would sonic do if he was in this situation. He manages to defeat the two using his tails to attack, and flies off into Robotropolis. He thinks he sees Dr. Robotnik, but it turns out to be a hand shadow by a SWATbot, entertaining another one next to him. Tails then hits the wall and is briefly stunned, while the SWATbots carry him to a roboticizer. Tails begins to panic, but Sonic comes in just in time and orders the bots to set the fox free. The bots activate self-destruct mechanisms, but Sonic and Tails make it out of the building before it explodes. Running back to Knothole, Sonic asks Tails if he's learned his lesson, to which the fox replies he will "look before he leaps".
- Badnik Horde
- Dr. Ivo Robotnik
- Knothole Freedom Fighters
- Ring (Cameo)
- Tails briefly mentions Michael Jordan, a retired-basketball player, in one of his sentences, as he quoted "I'm the Michael Jordan of Freedom Fighters!"
- This is Tails' first solo story before his own miniseries.
- Character Poster: A two-page poster of Super Sonic.
- Birthday Card: A free birthday card featuring Ivo Robotnik.
- "Horizont-Al & Verti-Cal" includes a panel that would be reused in a flashback scene in issue Sonic the Hedgehog #59.