A Crowning Achievement
- Written by: Michael Gallagher
- Drawn by: Scott Shaw
- Inked by: Bill White
- Lettered by: Dan Nakrosis
- Colored by: Barry Grossman/Nanci Tsetsekas
- Edited by: Daryl Edelman
- Edits-in-Chief: Richard Goldwater
Princess Sally requests to talk to Sonic which gives Sonic a chance to show off in front of her, using his speed. They have a brief flirt, with Sonic mentioning her change of hair color before Sally throws a jewelry box to Sonic.
Sonic catches it although is not impressed with it until Sally tells him it is her father's. The box holds the Crown of Acorns and along with it the Freedom Emeralds that adorn the top of the Crown. Sally tells Sonic she has decided to wear the crown, in the hope that the power of the emeralds will help them in their bid of finding her father, King Maximillian Acorn.
Sonic worries about what would happen if they were ever stolen although Sally reassures him, telling him Antoine and his Royal Guard are in charge of guarding the crown. Sally asks Sonic to crown her but when Sonic opens the box, he finds it empty.
Antoine cannot believe it as he trained everyone of the guardsman, but unbeknownst to him Dr. Robotnik had infiltrated the Royal Guard with a robot spy. To find out which one is the spy, Sonic burns rubber and sets of the new fire alarm which Boomer had installed, which leads to the sprinklers going off. All of the real guards get wet while the spy, disguised as a mobian pig, starts to short circuit.
Sonic questions the robot and he confesses Dr. Robotnik has spread the Freedom Emeralds to the four corners of Mobius. The spy then sets off his self-destruct mechanism. Sonic reacts quickly and carries him out the room at Sonic Speed just before the detonation.
Sally thinks Sonic is dead and starts to cry, but the hedgehog quickly returns, unharmed. Sonic explains he rushed up the secret entrance at Warp Sonic Speed just before the robot exploded. Sonic also mentions he saw a Robotnik Blimp with an escort of Buzzbombers and Bat Brains. At this point Sally demands that both Sonic and Antoine work together to get back the Freedom Emeralds, much to the disgust of the both of them. The duo head up towards the Robotnik Blimp in a hot air balloon.
The duo get too close to the blimp and are attacked by the Buzzbombers and Bat Brains, which bursts their balloon. Antoine bails out using a parachute, while Sonic uses his Sonic Spin to destroy all the Badniks and the Robotnik Blimp before being caught by Antoine and safely landing back on the ground.
A SWATbot falls with them, holding one of the Freedom Emeralds. Sonic takes the Freedom Emerald away from the broken SWATBot. Thanks to the advice of Antoine, Sonic interrogates the SWATBot and finds out Robotnik has ordered the Emeralds to be hidden by air, land, sea and underground. Sonic passes the "air" Freedom Emerald to Antoine and tells him to return to Princess Sally, before rushing off after the next one.
Tails is fishing at the old fishing hole when Sonic rushes past and into the water. Unfortunately for Tails, his fishing line gets caught on Sonic's leg and he is dragged into the water.
Sonic is heading for a secret cave when he is attacked by a Jaws. Sonic and Tails manage to get to the cave and reach the Emerald. Jaws then attacks, but smashes into a rock with a drawing of Sonic and Tails on it instead. Tails shows his waterproof markers he used to draw the pictures as the two head for the surface with the Freedom Emerald.
Sonic tells Tails to return the Emerald to Sally while he goes hunting for the other two. Meanwhile, a SWATBot is given orders by Dr. Robotnik.
Sonic discovers the SWATbot as it pretends to malfunction. Sonic falls for the ruse and grabs the Emerald from it, but goes over a hidden hole and falls into an underground cavern. While in the cavern, Sonic runs into a Burrobot. The Badnik grabs the Emerald off of Sonic and tries to put a hole in him with his drill, which Sonic dodges.
Sonic then uses his speed, making the Burrobot dizzy before stealing the two Emeralds from the Badnik. Sonic tries to return the Emeralds to Knothole, but he becomes lost in the catacombs of the underground. Sonic gets the idea of using his Sonic Spin to reach the surface. He drills through the ground and ends up right inside Boomer's workshop, where Boomer, Sally, Tails and Antoine were waiting for Sonic with the Crown of Acorns.
Once repaired, Boomer crowns Sally and she declares the crown's magic will be used to stop Robotnik. Before the story ends, Robotnik interrupts; complaining he only had a single cameo in this four-part saga. Sonic and Tails put up the end card during Robotnik's rant.
- Badnik Horde
- Dr. Ivo Robotnik
- Knothole Freedom Fighters
- Maximillian Acorn (Mentioned)
- Royal Guard (First appearance)
- Prime Zone
- Sonic points out Sally's hair color change, first depicted in Sonic the Hedgehog #1, "Run, Sally, Run!"
- Sonic recalls having to go "Sub-Sonic" speed in Sonic the Hedgehog #1, "Something Fishy".
- Sonic recalls who Jaws is after fighting him in Sonic the Hedgehog #1, "Something Fishy".
- Tails does not seem to know what a Jaws is despite saving Sonic from one in Sonic the Hedgehog #1, "Something Fishy".
- It is revealed that the gadget on one of Dr. Robotnik's SWATbots can operate as a Sega Game Gear.
- Sonic breaks the fourth wall by asking when did this become an "underground comic".
- Boomer asks Sonic where he got his foot-tapping habit from. Sonic can usually be seen doing this in the video game series as an idle animation, which first began in the original Sonic the Hedgehog.
Top 10 Reasons why Sonic the Hedgehog is the Coolest Comic Book Around
Sonic acts as a talk-show host and gives the reasons why his comic book is the coolest:
- Sonic the Hedgehog won't be "dying" anytime soon
- Sonic's adventures are soon to be a major motion picture starring Michael J. Fox
- The Sonic Comic contains absolutely no cholesterol
- The Sonic Comic isn't pre-bagged with a die cut, gold-foil cover and hologram trading card
- The Sonic Comic has a foxy female lead-character who usually wears a two-piece outfit
- The title does not rely on guest stars to help boost sales
- The Sonic Comic has no villains who are mutants
- Sonic the Hedgehog is blue so he matches most of your wardrobe
- The Sonic Comic addresses the environment
- The Sonic Comic requires no batteries
- Dr. Ivo Robotnik
- Knothole Freedom Fighters
- Sonic parodies David Letterman in this story.
- Dr. Robotnik is seen having claws emerge from his knuckles in the seventh reasoning, similar to Wolverine from the X-Men.
- The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are referenced at the sixth reasoning.
- Sally is implied to have a "two-piece outfit" in the fifth reasoning, even though it was only her boots that were being referred to.
- Michael J. Fox is mentioned in the second reasoning after a confusion with Tails in Sonic's potential movie.
- Knothole Freedom Fighters
- Sonic-Grams: Sonic-Grams is a section where the comic staff can post fan letters that have been sent in to them.
- The reasoning of "the title does not rely on guest stars to help boost sales" in "Top 10 Reasons why Sonic the Hedgehog is the Coolest Comic Book Around" can now be objectified as the Sonic comic series would later crossover twice with the Mega Man comic series.