- The brand new world of Sonic the Hedgehog barrels ahead at breakneck speed with "The Chase" Part Two: Sonic fights for his life against a NEW terrifying super-Badnik! Just to make matters worse, they’re battling on an out-of-control train! With Dr. Eggman waiting at the depot, Sonic’s in a fight against time – and killer robots! Featuring high-speed cover art from Sonic artist supreme TRACY YARDLEY! plus an exclusive SEGA game art variant!
The Chase: Part Two
- Writer: Ian Flynn
- Pencil layouts: Tracy Yardley
- Pencil finishes: Evan Stanley
- Inks: Terry Austin
- Colors: Steve Downer
- Letters: John Workman
- Assistant editor: Vincent Lovallo
- Editor/Executive Director of Editorial: Paul Kaminski
- Editor-in-chief: Victor Gorelick
- President: Mike Pellerito
- Publisher: Jon Goldwater
- Special Thanks to: Anthony Gaccione at SEGA Licensing
Sonic starts fighting against E-106 Eta, dodging it's attacks. Uncle Chuck tells Sonic to be careful, as Eta is one of Eggman's super Badniks. Sonic tells him that he has dealt with these kinds before. He continues to taunt the robot, but is annoyed that the rest of his team hasn't come to help him.
Meanwhile, Sally, Amy and Rotor are inside a car which contains a Foosball table, which Sally is annoyed about. As Rotor examines the table, Amy tells the others hearing fighting from the next car. The train breaks abruptly at a turn, Amy hopes that Sonic is clearing the defenses for them. As Rotor helps Amy out of the car, Sally gets Nicole and tries to contact Bunnie, Antoine, and Tails. In the sky, Bunnie shoots several Badniks with her arm cannon and lands on the Tornado's wing. Bunnie then reports that they are dealing with a lot of Badniks and Bunnie herself is getting fatigued. Sally tells her not to over exert herself and tells the trio that they might have found the professors, and that they are going to need a pick up soon.
Meanwhile, Sonic is still dodging Eta's attacks, with the two professors supporting Sonic all the way. Sonic realizes that if he doesn't attack the robot, the train car will be blown to pieces. Unknowingly, Sally, Rotor and Amy are on the way, searching for the professors as the train screeches during another turn. However, this caused both of the professors to hit their prison walls so hard, that Uncle Chuck is knocked unconscious. Pickle tries to wake him up, which distracts Sonic and Eta gets the chance to pin him down. Sonic then goes feral once more.
But Amy arrives in time and knocks Eta away with her Piko Piko Hammer. Sally and Rotor arrive next, and Sally tells Sonic to keep Eta distracted while she and Rotor get the professors. Sonic calms down and gets back to work. Amy and Eta hit each other at the same time. Sonic then curls into a ball and starts spinning, and Amy hits him with the hammer, knocking the robot back once more. Sally and Rotor freed the professors, and Rotor picks up Uncle Chuck,(who has now regained consciousness). Sonic and Amy look at the damaged robot. Sally then tells the two that the professors are safe, the planes are coming and that they need to get out of here. Sonic then swiftly picks up Amy, who knocks Eta back once more, and then they get out of the train. Sonic then speeds up and jumps. Eta attacks once more but misses, and Sonic and Amy land on the Tornado safely. Bunnie shoots the last Badnik, and tells Sally that the coast is clear. Sally congratulates the team, and everyone heads back to the Sky Patrol.
Back at the Sky Patrol though, Sonic is annoyed that they have forgotten something from the train, and that is the research material and the samples that Uncle Chuck had collected. The professors came up with their reasons about not letting them know about the research materials sooner. Sonic is still annoyed at this, but Sally calms him down and asks Pickle what they were researching and what did Eggman want with them. Pickle answers that he had nearly completed decoding the Gaia Manuscripts, and tells her that every ten thousand years, the world splits apart (as of now). He then says that there are Seven Gaia Temples, which involve the Chaos Emeralds. When the emeralds are gathered, it brings the world to order, and begins the process of rebirth. Sally knew that Eggman would be eager to know about this information. Sally asks Pickle for the locations of the temples and their workings, but Pickle does not know about that, since he could not finish decoding the manuscripts, he also doesn't know what Eggman's intentions are with the research. Uncle Chuck guessed that Eggman will try to control how the world gets back together, or hold the entire planet hostage, similar to what he did with the Roboticizer.
Sally goes to tell the others about beginning their search for the Chaos Emeralds, but Uncle Chuck tells them that there is more to it, something to do with the samples Uncle Chuck collected. Pickle tells about a 'sickness' which has something to do with Dark Gaia, and a supposed destruction of the world. Chuck tells that the samples contained mutagenic properties. This was pointed directly at Sonic, who tells that he's fine. After a few more discussions, Sally makes arrangements to drop Pickle off at Spagonia, and tell G.U.N that Eggman is targeting him. Chuck is still concerned about Sonic, and asks him if he felt off lately. Sonic tells him that he is okay, and that he can handle anything that comes in his way.
Meanwhile, at Bullet Station, the damaged Egg Train arrives, with a battered Eta coming out of it. Orbot remarks about the train arriving on time, but an infuriated Eggman yells at the two robots to find out what was lost. Orbot finds out that the fuel supplies and munitions arrived intact. The bad news was that the Badniks were destroyed, his captives escaped, the food was spoiled, and his Foosball table was destroyed as well. Orbot comments about Eggman not throwing a temper tantrum. Eggman then says: 'I got what really matters', and is seen holding the Gaia Manuscripts and the samples.
After the Credits Scene A
At the Efryka Egg Base, Axel the Water Buffalo gets a call from Dr. Eggman, and receives orders to defend their base no matter what happens.
After the Credits Scene B
- Aquarius (First appearance)
- Ben Muttski (Flashback)
- Coral the Betta (First appearance)
- Dark Gaia (Mentioned)
- Dr. Eggman
- Efrika Egg Army
- Freedom Fighters
- Professor Dillon Pickle
- Sir Charles the Hedgehog
- Tikal (Voice)
- Gaia Temple (Mentioned)
- Rail Canyon Zone (First appearance)
- Bullet Station (First appearance)
- Soleanna Forest Zone
- Spagonia (Mentioned)
- Eusebes Shrine (First appearance)
- Wood Zone (Mentioned)
- Chaos Emerald (Mentioned)
- Extreme Gear
- Gaia Manuscripts (First appearance)
- Piko Piko Hammer
- Roboticizer (Mentioned)
- Dark Gaia energy
- Eggnet (Mentioned)
- G.U.N (Mentioned)
- Croquet Special (First appearance)
- Spin Attack
Scratch is holding a train puns lesson along with Grounder. Cubot asks them if he can be a super conductor, to which Grounder replies with a pun. Orbot says he hates his life, to which Coconuts tells him to keep quiet.
- On the main cover, Sonic is performing the Figure-Eight Peel-Out technique.
- The original variant cover appears to be a scene from Radical Train from Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). The train appears to be the same one Sonic had to give chase to in order to save Princess Elise.
- This issue marks the one hundredth issue anniversary of both Ian Flynn and Tracy Yardley in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series. Both Flynn and Yardley have been around since Sonic the Hedgehog #160.
- This issue is part of the "After the Credits Month" promotion, which changes the final page of the issue depending on which version of the comic the reader buys (Standard Cover or Variant Cover). Sonic Universe #62 and Mega Man #36 are also part of this promotion.
- The main cover's tagline recites the first line of the Sonic the Hedgehog television series theme song nearly word for word.
Interior page inks