Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 251 is the two hundred fifty-first issue in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series published by Archie Comics. It is the twelfth and final part of the Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide crossover event.
- The biggest crossover event of 2013 ends here with the stunning conclusion to Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Collide (part twelve of twelve)! After an intense battle, Sonic and Mega Man are at the mercy of Drs. Eggman and Wily and, to make matters worse, the evil doctors have set the final stage of their plan into motion: to use the power of the Chaos Emeralds to become unstoppable demi-gods of destruction! But look out bad dudes, our true blue heroes have a plan, too — and it's 'super'! The history-making crossover event crashes to a close in the final chapter you can't miss! Featuring new cover art from Sonic and Mega Man art legend Patrick 'SPAZ' Spaziante and an all-new 'Evil Friends Forever' variant by superstar artist Ben Bates!
When Worlds Collide Finale: Best of the Best
- Writer: Ian Flynn
- Pencils: Ben Bates
- Inks: Gary Martin
- Colors: Matt Herms
- Letters: John Workman
- Assistant Editor: Vincent Lovallo
- Editor/Executive Director of Editorial: Paul Kaminski
- Editor-in-chief: Victor Gorelick
- President: Mike Pellerito
- Special Thanks to: Anthony Gaccione and Cindy Chau and to the Character Business and Licensing Department of SEGA Corporation
- Special Thanks to: Brian Oliveira at Capcom Media and Consumer Products and to 栄実
The issue opens with Dr. Eggman and Dr. Wily recapping the previous issue's events while taunting the trapped Sonic and Mega Man about their inevitable victory. Meanwhile, back at the battlefield, Dr. Light tells a frazzled Tails that he is the wrong kind of doctor to tend to his injuries and that he can only try to keep him safe for the time being. Tails tells him not to give up and that Sonic and Mega Man will prevail. Dr. Light replies by saying that while he has faith that they will save their worlds, in order for all of them to survive their current situation, they would need a miracle. Speaking of, suddenly, tons of Wily Robot Masters are disabled in the heat of battle by a storm of familiar weapons raining from the sky. The source of the help is revealed to be the eight original Light Robot Masters, called in to provide extra assistance in the battle by Roll. After Dr. Light informs Knuckles that they are friendlies, they realize that Sonic and Rock have spent a bit too long in the Wily Egg and could probably use some help. With the Light Robot masters covering them, Dr. Light, Knuckles, and Proto Man decide to mount a rescue mission atop the Rush Jet and twin Item-2s.
Back on board the Wily Egg, Mega Man tries to get Wily to come to his senses, but Dr. Wily tells him that Eggman has opened his eyes to the notion of reshaping everything as he sees fit, saying that the plan is "one of his overly extreme notions that's actually appealing". making Eggman say, "Don't get lippy with me in front of the children!" Sonic warns Dr. Eggman that this is the second time that he has tried this and asks if he has ever been worried about completely breaking reality. Eggman replies with, "Oh, our world is bent so far out of shape, it's bound to snap! Yes, I gleefully abused the fuzzy space-time of this Zone to kidnap your friends and find all the Chaos Emeralds, and without you catching on! But..." Suddenly, Wily objects, saying that Eggman told him that the Skull Egg Zone would let them "cheat" the rules of reality, not break their worlds. However, Eggman assures him that since they have all seven Chaos Emeralds, any damage that has been done will be completely erased when they reshape everything. Wily calms down, saying that Eggman should have told him about these things. The heroes each ask if the other can escape from their pod to which they both report a negative. Suddenly, though, Knuckles, Proto Man, and Thomas crash into the room, taking both heroes and villains by surprise. Mega Man is relieved to see them while Sonic jokes about how Knuckles is never gonna let him live this down. While Proto Man and Knuckles attack the doctors in their Egg Mobile and Wily UFO, Dr. Light works to free Sonic and Mega Man. The doctors scramble to their Egg-Wily Machine X and the heroes are freed, immediately hopping on Rush with Dr. Light to try and take down the Genesis Reactor. Dr. Light tells his son that he does not have any E-Tanks, but using the Super Adaptor should give him enough strength to fight. Sonic wonders what a "Super Adaptor" is and Mega Man shows him, merging with Rush into his aerial form. Sonic gives his new look a thumbs up and says that he actually just gave him a great idea.
As Knuckles and Proto Man batter the Egg-Wily Machine X's cockpit, the doctors nervously work to get their weapon powered back up. They soon launch into the air and Eggman warns Wily to not draw too much energy from the Genesis Chamber. Wily opposes him by saying that he said that their power from the Chaos Emeralds was limitless to which Eggman replies that it may only potentially be and they need to protect the Super Genesis Wave at all costs. After Knuckles clangs onto their cockpit to do some more damage, though, Wily has had enough and tries to activate his personal defense systems. However, when they do not respond, he is thrown for a loop as Eggman cackles away at his earlier sabotage. He does not laugh for long, though, as his weapons are also disabled when he tries to repel Proto Man. They each realize the other's betrayal and start arguing while Dr. Light, Sonic, and Mega Man arrive at the Genesis Reactor. Light says that he cannot disable it, but Sonic suggests another idea, urging Mega Man to give him a lift up to the Chaos Emeralds. The doctors work towards repairing the fruits of their treacherous acts all the while smack-talking each other. Just as Knuckles is about to deal the final blow to their cracked and fizzled Egg-Wily Machine X however, they harness the full power of the Chaos Emeralds to activate a full system restore, making their mech more powerful than ever. The two call a temporary truce and try to mount an attack on Knuckles and Proto Man when Sonic and Mega Man make it to the Chaos Emeralds, thereby attaining their super forms and taking huge swipes at the monstrous machine, halting it.
Super Sonic thanks Knuckles and Proto Man for the cover and tells them that they can handle things now while Super Armor Mega Man suggests that they tell Duo to fall back as well. The doctors look in shock at their golden nemeses before firing everything that they have at them. Super Sonic and Super Armor Mega Man maneuver past and shoot down the projectiles as they come, Sonic urging Mega Man to be as reckless as possible due to their new super form-exclusive invulnerability. Super Armor Mega Man fires an enhanced Mega Buster shot at the Egg-Wily Machine X, but the doctors dodge it. However, this opens up a window for Super Sonic to come in with a Sonic Spin at their back. The Egg-Wily Machine X repels Sonic with a laser and puts up a shield, causing the heroes to try a new tactic. After reminding Mega Man of his invincible state, Super Sonic distracts them by banging at their shield repeatedly so that Super Armor Mega Man can unleash a huge blast, shattering their defense and causing Eggman to yell out his frustrations about Mega Man. Super Sonic and Super Armor Mega Man then make short work of the rest of the Egg-Wily Machine X's weapons. At the same time, the heroes' friends look on as the Super Genesis Wave starts to take effect, including Duo and a newly reformed Chaos. As Super Sonic and Super Armor Mega Man realize that with the Super Genesis Wave currently rewriting things, they need to wrap this up quickly. They decide to combine their forces into a Sonic Shot that completely destroys what is left of the Egg-Wily Machine X.
The heroes super bro-fist on a job well done as they look on at the dimensional distortion affecting the cosmos. Super Armor Mega Man thinks that they are too late, but Super Sonic assures him that with a little Chaos Control, it is no problem. After explaining the concept to Super Armor Mega Man, both heroes focus and charge up Chaos energy blasts to return their respective dimensions to normal. In the meantime, a downed Wily in his WIly UFO looks on as he stews in his defeat. Eggman, however, is not going down so easily. Despite Wily's claim that it is over, he refuses to listen and starts quickly repairing the Egg-Wily Machine X's severed head to create a makeshift Egg Mobile which he then uses to rush recklessly towards Super Sonic. Almost finished creating their respective energy spheres, Super Sonic warns Super Armor Mega Man to not lose focus no matter what happens. Of course, this prompts Eggman to slam into Super Sonic, rocketing them both towards their changed universe. Super Sonic tells Super Armor Mega Man not to worry about him and take the shot to restore his own universe, which he does, all the while thanking Sonic for everything. As Super Armor Mega Mega floats back down towards his vortex home, he smiles that everything will be back to normal. Things are not so good for Super Sonic, on the other hand, as with Eggman ramming him, he cannot seem to perfectly focus his Chaos Control. Realizing that it is now or nothing, he takes his shot and Eggman follows up with a laser, fraying the energy sphere somewhat, but still creating an obvious change in the warp. The resulting effect literally shatters their universe and white light emerges from the cracks, with Eggman noting that it does not right. As a frustrated Super Sonic asks Eggman about what has done, they are both consumed enveloped by whiteness...
- Amy Rose
- Blaze the Cat
- Chaos Devil
- Dr. Albert W. Wily
- Dr. Eggman
- Dr. Thomas Light
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Mecha Sally (fantasy)
- Metal Sonic v3.8
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Robot Masters
- Light Robot Masters
- Robot Master Army
- Roboticized Masters (mentioned)
- Team Dark
- Silver the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog
Races and species:
- Chaos Emerald (x7)
- Devil Core
- E-Tank (mentioned)
- Genesis Reactor
- Item Box (x2)
- Item-2 (multiple)
- Master Emerald (mentioned)
- Mega Buster
- Piko Piko Hammer
- Sonic's sneakers
- Super Adaptor (first appearance)
- Chaos Control
- Chaos energy
- Chaos Spear
- Genesis Wave (mentioned)
- Super Genesis Wave (first appearance)
- Sonic Shot
- Sonic Spin
- Dr. Eggman stating that the Egg-Wily Machine X self-repair systems are running at 251% when drawing power from the Chaos Emeralds is a reference to the number of this issue.
- Dr. Eggman shouting "Ahh! I hate the robot!" when Super Armor Mega Man blasts the Egg-Wily Machine X, is a reference to Dr. Ivo Robotnik's quote, "I hate that hedgehog!" from the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series.
- The sabotaged boards responsible for the disabled weapons systems for Wily and Eggman's stations, B. and C. and M.B.M., are references to the spin-off games Mega Man: Battle & Chase and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, respectively.
Jet complains that he is not in Worlds Collide, as it contains high speed races, new worlds, new treasures, and tons of guest stars. Big comforted him saying Froggy was not there either. However, Big's strength knocks Jet into the ground.
- Dr. Wily: You're beaten!
- Dr. Eggman: You're broken!
- Dr. Eggman and Dr. WIly: The Super Genesis Wave is ready to go! We've won!
- Dr. Eggman: To be fair, you did get past every one of our defenses...
- Dr. Wily: But what else is new? Still, you came up short!
- Dr. Eggman: That, and you cheated when you bypassed the Chaos Devil. Do you know how hard it was to plug a devil core into living water?!
- Dr. Wily: Then again, it's currently keeping Duo at bay, and he would've been a bit of a problem. So we came out on top--Again!
- Dr. Eggman: And there will be no last-minute rescues for you this time!
- Dr. Wily: All my time-cloned Robot Masters are keeping your friends quite busy!
- Dr. Eggman: Haaaa! I'm going to kill you, you traitor!
- Dr. Wily: Ha-ahah-ha-ha! Not if I get you first, you psycho!
- Dr. Eggman: Truce until this is done?
- Dr. Wily: I guess I have to... Truce.
- Super Sonic: Thanks for the cover, guys. Get Dr. Light out of here. We'll handle the rest.
- Super Armor Mega Man: Find Duo and tell him to fall back. (I'll admit it, Sonic. This is cooler.)
- Super Sonic: Hrrrgh! Eggman! Cut it out, ya nut! You're gonna... mess... me... up!
- Dr. Eggman: If I can't have the universe my way, then you won't have it at all!
- On the Evil Friends Forever variant, the copy of the issue Dr. Wily is reading has an ad for the New Crusaders (another Archie Comics title written by Ian Flynn) on the back cover. This ad does in fact appear on the back page of the actual issue.
- The second cover is a convention exclusive cover distributed exclusively through the 2013 New York Comic Con.