- This story takes place after Archie Princess Sally Miniseries Issue 3.
The Three Phases of E.V.E.
- Robotnik unleashes E.V.E. ["Exceptionally Versatile Evolvanoids"] to capture Sonic. As Sonic manages to outsmart E.V.E., it simply adapts to another form to compensate. Sonic lures it to Robotnik's headquarters where, assuming a self-conscious form, E.V.E. determines that it is being held back by its biological inheritance from Sonic and Robotnik [i.e., individual cells used in E.V.E.'s creation]. So E.V.E. toasts Robotnik, but thanks to some quick thinking by Sonic E.V.E. him and travels out into space on a journey of self-actualization. Is Robotnik really history?
3 Phases of E.V.E.
- Writer: Ken Penders
- Pencils: Patrick Spaziante
- Inks: Harvey Mercadoocasio
- Letters: Mindy Eisman
- Colors: Barry Grossman
- Editor: Scott Fulop
- Managing editor: Victor Gorelick
- Editor-in-Chief: Richard Goldwater
Sonic demolishes a group of SWATbots, complaining that Robotnik's minions are no longer a challenge. Unbeknownst to him, Dr. Robotnik is observing the confrontation and collecting data for his newest creation. He leads Snively to his recently-constructed Cyber-Mechanoid Design Facility and reveals E.V.E., the first of a new race of robots, the Exceptionally Versatile Evolvanoids. E.V.E. can supposedly adapt to any situation, making it the perfect weapon for destroying Sonic.
Back in the Great Forest, Sonic and Tails talk about Sonic's victory. Sonic wishes the doctor would try something new when a red SWATbot-like robot bursts from the ground and grabs Sonic, throwing him into a tree and firing lasers at him. Sonic tricks the robot into shooting down a nearby tree, causing it to fall on the robot. Sonic and Tails decide to head back to Knothole, unaware that their opponent was E.V.E.. Back in Robotropolis, Robotnik reveals to Snively that E.V.E. contains Sonic's DNA as well as his own.
The supposedly defeated E.V.E reforms into a giant Buzzbomber and attacks Sonic and Tails again with even greater speed. Sonic is able to outwit her again, tricking her into crashing into a rock wall. He realizes that this is the same enemy he defeated before and speeds off to Robotropolis to get answers from Robotnik. Snively points out E.V.E. has failed twice, but Robotnik is confident that she will adapt and eventually prevail. Sonic arrives to confront Robotnik, only for E.V.E. to arrive in the form of a giant snake. Sonic ties her into a knot, defeating her once again, and she undergoes another transformation.
Now in her final phase, E.V.E. speaks for the first time, announcing that her intention is to overcome all limitations-including her creator, Dr. Robotnik. She reveals that she inherited her evil tendencies from Robotnik's DNA, but Sonic's DNA allowed her to overcome her evil and rebel against her former master. She vaporizes Robotnik and turns her attention to fulfilling her programming by destroying Sonic. However, Sonic reasons that her biggest limitation is her programming and that she can't reach her full potential unless she surpasses her programming. E.V.E. agrees and, deciding to find her own meaning to live, departs for the far reaches of outer space. Sonic and Tails leave Snively behind to grieve for his uncle. As they head home, they wonder if Robotnik is really gone for good.
- E.V.E. is introduced, develops free will, and travels into space, leading to her eventual return in Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 128.
- Robotnik is apparently vaporized, but is in fact sent to another version of Mobius where he meets the alternate version of himself who will become Dr. Eggman, though this is not revealed until the next issue.
- This is the first issue to have the cover drawn by Patrick Spaziante, who would go on to draw every milestone cover until the comic was canceled.
- A photo of Momma Robotnik is visible on Robotnik's desk.