- “Metal and Mettle, Part Two”: You’re not just seeing double, you’re seeing quadruple when Sonic and Scourge fight for their lives against the sleek killer robots Metal Sonic and Metal Scourge! Why isn’t Scourge’s Suppression Squad doing anything to help? And what is the sinister secret Dr. Eggman is using to keep the Dark Egg Legion under his control?
Metal and Mettle Part 2
- Writer: Ian Flynn
- Pencils: Tracy Yardley
- Inks: Jim Amash
- Colors: Josh Ray & Aimee Ray
- Letters: John Workman
- Editor/Managing Editor: Mike Pellerito
- Editor-in-Chief: Victor Gorelick
- Special thanks to: Kristin Parcell, Dyna Lopez, and Cindy Chau at SEGA Licensing
As Sonic and Scourge stare down their "metal" counterparts, Metal Sonic and Metal Scourge attack their organic counterparts, leaving them in the dirt. After making a brief complaint about his less than successful start, Sonic asks if he will re-think his truce proposition in order to beat the "metals", but Scourge points out that Sonic has yet to answer him on teaming up to conquer the Multiverse, but Sonic tells him he is preoccupied, which Scourge takes as a "yes".
Meanwhile in New Megaopolis's Eggdome, Dr. Eggman sits and watches the battle between the hedgehogs and robots, cheering on his metal creations. Dimitri then comes in, saying he's impressed with how quickly the doctor was able to make two robot doppelgangers (within mere hours), but had yet been able to make a new robot army to reinforce the Dark Egg Legion. Eggman waves him away unconcerned, but Dimitri quickly wraps one tentacle around the doctor's arm to get his attention and says he will not allow the Echidnas to be used so carelessly. Eggman tells him he plans on using all of the Echidnas until there are none left, and says that if he has any further complaints, Dimitri can take it up with the bombs he installed in the Dark Legion's new cybernetics. Realizing his place, Dimitri then walks off while Eggman gives orders to prepare the troops, and Dimitri silently agrees that they must be ready for the next threat.
Back at Freedom HQ, Sonic narrowly misses being hit by Metal Sonic and suggests to Scourge they retreat into the Great Wastes to stop Freedom HQ from getting destroyed, but Scourge isn't about to give "the metals" an inch. Fiona then pops her head outside Freedom HQ's door offering Scourge the Suppression Squad's assistance, but Scourge refuses and yells at Fiona, which gave Metal Scourge the opportunity to sneak up on Scourge before being kicked back by Sonic, who agrees with Fiona that Scourge could use help. Scourge then thanks Sonic for saving him, but neglects to return the favor when Metal Sonic slams into Sonic's back.
Miles Prower and Boomer Walrus talk to each other while watching the battle. Miles notes that Sonic is willing to help or save anyone as long as it's for the greater good. Princess Alicia warns him of what he says while Fiona looks on at Scourge, oblivious to their conversation. Alicia then says Miles has seen it all, and they don't want to cross Scourge for what he might do, like how he made Patch's eye-patch more than for just show. Miles then says that he is merely observing that with Sonic, it wouldn't take much for them to tip the scales in their direction.
Meanwhile at the Dark Egg Legion's barracks in the Eggdome, Dimitri quickly grabs Lien-Da while she's giving a legionnaire instructions, and uses the sensors in his tentacles to search for a bomb inside her, which he does, and then reveals what he learned. Lien-Da accuses this development as being his fault as he went to Eggman first, but Dimitri countered rather violently that he came to Eggman to fight the new Enerjak while she sold herself out to restore the legion's cybernetics. Lien-Da then asks what they are to do now while nursing an injured wrist thanks to Dimitri's tentacles, and says he surely isn't going to go to Knuckles yet. Dimitri agrees and tells her the legion are his people and that she is his only family he has left. The Grandmaster reassures he will think of a way out of this.
Outside of Freedom HQ, the "metals" are circling their organic counterparts while Scourge demands Sonic to think of something. Sonic thinks back to when he was last matched "blow-for-blow" by the Egg Beater and suggests bringing someone in who the robots weren't built to fight. Scourge then reluctantly orders his Suppression Squad to attack the "metals". Sonic, Miles, and Fiona easily take care of Metal Sonic while Scourge, Patch, and Alicia deal with Metal Scourge, and the two are then blasted until only pieces remain by Boomer's sonic-cannons. Miles is quick to tell Sonic that he and the Suppression Squad seemed to have worked well together, and Scourge then reminds Sonic of his offer, which Sonic stated that Scourge was "sick" if he thought he would ever even consider teaming up with him. Scourge asks if Sonic will be continuing his fight for Freedom HQ, but he declines saying he's had enough for one day and heads back to New Mobotropolis.
Once back home, Sonic is lectured by King Elias Acorn about disregarding the Council of Acorn's decision, and Sonic says that nobody is going to stop him from doing anything if he is in the right, to which Elias tells his sister Sally how amazed he is for their romantic relationship lasting so long. Sally says his "thick-headness" has it's charm. Elias tells Sonic his punishment is to be the lead on the next mission. Sally then takes Sonic to the Science Center where Rotor, Tails and Sir Charles Hedgehog are working on a new pair of Star Posts, and Sally informs Sonic that they've decided to take a page out of Scourge's book and counter-invade Moebius.
- Council of Acorn
- Dark Egg Legion
- Eggman Empire
- Enerjak (Mentioned)
- Knothole Freedom Fighters
- Suppression Squad
- Prime Zone
- Moebius (Mentioned)
Father and Son
- Story: Ian Flynn
- Pencils: Jonathan Gray
- Inks: Jim Amash
- Colors: Josh Ray & Aimee Ray
- Letters: Teresa Davidson
Scourge, wandering in New Mobotropolis for the night, decides to crash Sonic's house and give him a surprise late-night-pummeling. However, as he climbs into the house's window, Jules Hedgehog greets him as he comes in, apparently waiting for him. Scourge mistakes him for another Metal Sonic, to which Jules says he is Sonic's father. Jules understands his visit is not friendly and lets him know he will do anything to protect his son. Scourge tries to trick the Robian into fighting. However, Jules doesn't budge, and instead tries to play psychoanalyst with Scourge. He tells him his planet is full of heroes fighting a single threat. Therefore, Scourge's planet must be full of cowards, Scourge being no exception.
Furious, Scourge says he conquered his planet. Jules says this is just a different version of ruin. Scourge denies this, and explains that his father was a politician who led his planet into a period of time called the Great Peace - and points out that it resulted in nothing but stagnation and collapse. He tells him he didn't ruin the world, but "woke it up". Jules points out his solution to peace was violence and anarchy. Scourge says it isn't anarchy, as everyone bows to him. Scourge then tells him while he isn't a Mobian anymore, his dad simply isn't.
Jules remains unshaken, and tells him he is scared of no "king" that has to sneak in the night to fight his son. Scourge threatens Jules life, to which Jules stands up and says he won't go down quietly and while he doesn't care for the loss of his father, Sonic would certainly be upset if he were to die. Unexpectedly, Scourge breaks down in tears as he leaves the house, telling Jules is words are as empty as his father's, and they are no different from each other. As Jules watches out the window after Scourge leaves, Bernie comes in and asks who he was talking too, with Jules saying it was nobody.
- Anti-Jules Hedgehog (First appearance) (Flashback)
- Bernadette Hedgehog
- Jules Hedgehog
- Scourge the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Mentioned)
- This story shows that Moebius had the "Great Peace", which seems to contrast Mobius's infamous Great War.
- Although not stated directly, it is implied Scourge killed his father. Writer Ian Flynn stated he believed it to be self explanatory, though fans have still requested the circumstances of Anti Jules's death be more concretely detailed.
- Sonic-Grams: This edition of Sonic-Grams included two letters and three pictures of Fan-Art. It also showed the next Sonic the Hedgehog issue (#193).
- Sonic Graphic Novel Checklist: The Sonic Graphic Novel Checklist is a comic subscription page for Sonic graphic novels: Sonic: The Beginning, Sonic Select, and the Sonic Archives.
- Sonic Checklist: The Sonic Checklist is a comic subscription page for subscribing to the Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic X comic books. (As of this issue, is not Sonic Universe), and for buying graphic novels and back issue collector sets.
- Sonic: (thinking to himself) So we've got me... My "evil twin" who says he's "king"... My other "evil twin" who won't stay smashed... And some slapped-together combo of the two. This should be interesting!
- Scourge: (to Sonic) Yeah, thanks for the save back there. (Sonic is ambushed by Metal Sonic) Don't expect me to return the favor.
- Scourge: (to Jules as he leaves in tears) Just a bunch of empty words...You're no different from my old man after all.
- Scourge's eyes are mis-colored green throughout the comic.