Tails' Taste of Power
- When Tails eats a piece of fruit he finds growing in Rotor's greenhouse it comes to be known that it's from the Mobian Tree of Wisdom - And it makes Tails into a super-genius! When Sally and Bunnie are attacked by a giant Shredbot. Tails avoids the bot's blades in such a way that the bot self-destructs. And then he gets cocky as he goes off to face Robotnik - Just as the effects of the fruit begin to wear off...
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!
- Robotnik plans to capture Sally and Bunnie at the mall. After the're caught, will they be able to return Robotnik's kindness and dish out a little wholesale tail-kicking themselves?
Cover Corner Box
Sonic goes too fast past the box, barely holding onto it.
Tails' Taste of Power!
- Writer: Angelo DeCesare
- Pencils: Art Mawhinney
- Inks: Jon D'Agostino
- Colors: Barry Grossman
- Letters: Dan Nakrosis
- Editor: Scott Fulop
- Managing editor: Victor Gorelick
- Editor-in-Chief: Richard Goldwater
Tails finds Sonic in Rotor's greenhouse, apparently being attacked by one of the plants. Tails tries to save him, but it turns out to be a harmless passion flower trying to kiss the hedgehog. Sonic offers to let Tails "take over" for him. Tails thinks Sonic means he can lead the Freedom Fighters, but Sonic corrects him, saying he meant "take over...watering the plants". Sonic tells a disappointed Tails that he isn't ready to be a leader yet and leaves. Tails ponders what Sonic said while looking for a snack, and sees a peice of fruit hanging from a branch.
Later, Rotor and Sonic arrive to find all of the plants have grown huge. Tails reveals he's responsible, babbling about the formula he used to accelerate the plants' growth. Rotor asks how he learned so much, and Tails responds that he figured it out after eating a fruit he noticed earlier. Rotor realizes Tails has eaten the only fruit he's managed to grow on the Tree of Wisdom, which he found years ago in the Great War. The fruit gives its eater super-intelligence, meaning that Tails is now a genius. Antoine rushes in calling for help, and reveals that Sally and Bunnie are at the mercy of Dr. Robotnik's Shredbot. Sonic runs off and offers to help them, but Tails flies in and confronts the Shredbot, tricking it into destroying its own saw blades. Sonic is shocked to realize that Tails is moving as quickly as he can, and Tails gives him an extensively long explanation before stating he should become the new leader of the Freedom Fighters.
Back at Freedom HQ, Rotor is terrified by the appearance of a robot in the base. Sonic attempts to destroy it, but is unable to, and Tails then reveals it is his own creation, the Vacubot. Created to do housework, it is made of a special alloy that is not only impossible for Sonic to destroy, but also undetectable to Robotnik's sensors. Tails also reveals a "badge of leadership" he made for himself out of the material. Sally tries to reason with him that his intelligence isn't enough to make him a leader. Determined to prove himself, he takes off for Robotropolis in order to defeat Robotnik himself. His smarts enable him to evade Robotnik's minions and defenses and reach the doctor's control room, but suddenly his super intelligence wears off, allowing Robotnik to easily capture him.
Back in Knothole, Rotor discovers that the fruit's properties only last for twenty-four hours. Sonic realises when Tails said "Nemisis", he meant Robotnik and rushes off to save his young friend. He gets into the control room and warns Robotnik not to do anything to Tails unless he has a death wish. Bluffing, Sonic informs Robotnik that Tails was sent on a mission to destroy Robotropolis at any cost, claiming that Tails' medal is in fact a bomb with enough power to level the city. Doubting Sonic's words, Robotnik orders Snively to scan the medal, but Snively is unable to identify it. Sonic threatens to activate the "bomb" unless Robotnik releases Tails, and the doctor buys his ruse and agrees. Tails realizes that Sonic's a great leader and they head home. Back in Knothole, Antoine gives Tails a stern lecture on leadership. Tails throws the "bomb" at him, scaring Antoine so much he ends up clinging to the light bulb on the ceiling.
Sonic and Tails are fishing in a boat when Dr. Robotnik and Crabmeat, riding in a submarine, spot them. Tails manages to catch a fish, but Sonic pulls up a giant whale-robot, which is revealed to be Robotnik's submarine. Robotnik tries to sink their ship, but Sonic quickly paddles away. Sonic and Tails end up on the beach while Robotnik's whale-bot gets stuck on the shore. Tails takes a picture of Sonic's great catch.
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!
- Writer: Mike Kanterovich and Ken Penders
- Pencils: Art Mawhinney
- Inks: Harvey Mercadoocasio
Robotnik plays with a set of defective Freedom Fighter dolls. The sexist stereotypes the Bunnie and Sally dolls play give him some inspiration. Robotnik reveals his new scheme: to divide and conquer the Freedom Fighters, starting with their two female members. That night, the girls notice spotlights in the sky. Upon further investigation, they discover a tiny "shopping mall", which is in fact a trap set by Robotnik. The doctor captures the pair and they are brought to him, hoping to use them as bait to draw in Sonic to a trap. Insulted at the idea that they need to be rescued, Sally and Bunnie break free and quickly decimate the SWATbots, tying up Robotnik and Snively once the bots were destroyed. They return Robotnik's dolls, which have been modified with "political corrections," spouting out girl-power phrases. The pair return home to find Sonic clipping coupons to buy video games, and have a private joke at his expense over men thinking only about "fun, games, and shopping."
- Art: Bill Golliher
Editors Scott Fulop and Paul Castiglia, along with Sonic, attempt to escape their office while Angelo DeCesare tries to break open their door, enraged that he wasn't given proper credit for "Bold-Headed Eagle" in StH #12.
- Sonic: Shut up Tails! You're crowding us out of the panel!
- The 3-page mini-story "Do-It-Yourself-Sonic" that is already drawn had three winners, whose submissions were revealed in Sonic the Hedgehog #23. Prizes included subscriptions, original artwork from issues Sonic the Hedgehog #21 and Sonic the Hedgehog #22, and autographed copies of issue Sonic the Hedgehog #25. Reprints of this story come with a disclaimer on the final page that the contest is void.
- The Shredbot that ambushes Sally, Bunnie and Antoine looks almost identical to the Shredder robot from the Sonic the Hedgehog episode "Hooked on Sonics," although the coloring is different.
- The Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia suggests that, while Tails lost his advanced intelligence by the end of the issue, some lingering effects of the Tree of Wisdom may have caused him to develop advanced intuition. This could explain how, years later, he became a capable mechanic and scientist.
- The title of the second story is a reference to the Cyndi Lauper's song of the same name.
- Sonic's pose in the Off Panel resembles his off balance pose in the classic games.
- An unused version of this issue's cover was featured in Sonic the Hedgehog #67 as a coloring page.