Home (Part 2 of 4): The Gathering
- Continuing the saga of the four-part epic begun last issue, the threat of nuclear annihilation by Dr. Robotnik and his new minions looms large, so Sonic and the citizens of the Kingdom of Acorn AND Station Square must ready themselves to strike the Eggman Empire before it's too late! With stakes this high, everyone joins the battle lines. Don't miss this nail-biting installment-it could be the last!
Mobius 25 Years Later - Prologue
- Due to the overwhelming popularity of the visions of the future that have graced our pages in the past (pun intended), we proudly present a new regular feature: "Mobius: 25 Years Later." This far-flung-futuristic feature fast-forwards you to the future of our favorite characters... and their kids! What fates await our esteemed champions? The first installment gets off to a thrilling start with a future character most readers are familiar with: Lara-Su, Knuckles' daughter... and she's preparing for a special ceremony! Pick up this issue and find out just what she's preparing for.
Home Part Two: The Gathering
- Words: Karl Bollers
- Pictures: Ron Lim
- Inks: Jim Amash
- Colors: Jason Jensen
- Letters: Jeff Powell
- Assistant Editor: Mike Pellerito
- Editor: Justin F. Gabrie
- Managing Editor: Victor Gorelick
- Editor-in-Chief: Richard Goldwater
Sonic races to Old Megaopolis, Power Ring in hand, with Tails in the Tornado at his side. Minutes ago at Castle Acorn, Sally suggested that taking a Power Ring would allow him to reach the city before Dr. Eggman could launch his nuclear warheads at Knothole and Station Square. King Acorn explained that he would send one group to rendezvous with Sonic and another to stop Eggman's minions from destroying Robotropolis' force field.
High above Knothole, Bunnie, Antoine, Espio, Fiona, Geoffrey, and Hershey fly the Freedom Fighter Special Mk 2 into the upper atmosphere. Rotor explains via video call that the ship will allow them to use the gravitational pull of Mobius to arrive at Old Megaopolis in just half an hour. Meanwhile, just outside of Robotropolis at Fort Acorn, General D'Coolette spots Eggman's SWATbots on the horizon and prepares his soldiers for battle. Knuckles, Julie-Su, Amy, Vector, and Mighty arrive to help the general defend Robotropolis.
Back at Castle Acorn, Sir Charles reports that the citizens of Knothole have been moved to fallout shelters. The king then orders that Sonic's family join his own in the royal bunker, but Sally, Queen Alicia, Bernie, Jules, and Charles refuse to leave without him. King Max asks Station Square's President if he's begun his own evacuation. The President explains that, for fear of a mass panic, Station Square's citizens haven't been told about the nuclear threat. Putting their differences aside, the king explains how he plans to counter Operation: Triple Threat while the President promises that his own government will aid them.
Commander Hugo Brass of G.U.N. speaks with the President in his office, insisting that he reconsider leaving the situation to the mobians. The President refuses to reconsider taking direct action until Eggman's missiles are en route. He asks Brass if G.U.N.'s commando unit is mobile, revealing that he's sent Rouge the Bat to aid the troops.
At Old Megaopolis harbor, Dr. Eggman asks A.D.A.M. to begin the countdown when Sonic and Tails arrive on the Tornado, ready to fight.
Mobius 25 Year Later
- Writer/Inker: Ken Penders
- Penciler: Steven Butler
- Colorist: Jason Jensen
- Letterer: Vickie Williams
- Editor: Justin Gabrie
Merlin Prower narrates that since time, many have sought to know the future. Using his powers, Merlin shows a past reflections of Sonic and Sally, with Sally argueing that he wasn't born to be king, and wants adventure. Merlin then reveals the future "as worlds collide of secrets long held now revealed at long last".
In a social studies class, Mr. Perriwinkle explains the history of Angel Island to the Echidna students. He also explains how Echidnaopolisadvance and the Island's gateway city of Portal is the centre of commerce and travel with Mobius below. After giving that Echidnaopolis evolved into the central chair of government for echidnas and the oldest democract on Mobius, Lara-Su is bored. Riki-Le in front of her asks "if they are a democracy, how come on the world map says Republic of Angel Island?" The teacher then addresses this question to the students. Jaker thinks it's because "Echidnas don't believe in a monarchy, like most backward cultures on Mobius." The teacher then asks Lara-Su about it, in which she says "the citizens elect the representatives to make laws and decisions" and gets it right. Rutan behind her asks who elected the Guardian. The teacher answers back they are of "special status", in which Rutan makes fun of Lara-Su that they'll have to bow to 'Miss Sunshine' soon. Lara-Su in anger slams her book in his face. All the other Echidna students laughing, the teacher tells her off that "young ladies shouldn't conduct themselves like that, especially ones of the Guardian."
Meanwhile, Rotor (Emissary) gets a lift from Harry and meets up with Espio. Rotor requests that on behalf of the King and Queen, they would like to meet with the Guardian and his family. Espio then reports back to Knucklesthat Sonic, Sally and their children Sonia and Manik would be coming. Espio pointing out that Sonia and Manik were more excited seeing Lara-Su again. Knuckles knowing that Manik has a crush on Lara-Su declines Espio thinking they should do royal matchmaking. Espio thinks instead then that he should tell Juanita who would love to dance with a prince. Knuckles improves a bit that she's closer to his age but doesn't think Juanita should date. Espio also reports that Rotor and Cobar will be working together on some project. Knuckles then takes off from the Master Emerald altar for Lara-Su's Unveiling ceremony tonight.
Meanwhile, Rutan arrives home when he walks in on Lien-Da and Dimitri discussing the Unveiling. Rutan shocked to see Dimitri; Lien-Da notices Rutan's bruise from Lara-Su. Both Lien-Da and Rutan get into an argument, until Rutan leaves. Lien-Da left thinking that her and Kragok never behaved like that, but Dimitri disagrees with her.
At Knuckles' house, Julie-Su greets Knuckles and asks that she talks with Lara-Su, who doesn't want to go to her Unveiling ceremony. Both Knuckles and Lara-Su begin argueing through the door, until Julie-Su calms him down. Knuckles then attempts to reason with her that every female Echidna goes through the Unveiling, but Lara-Su cries more that she wants to be the Guardian. Knuckles tries to reason that it'll be dangerous, but Lara-Su thinks she deserves too because he has much younger. Knuckles begins to lose his temper and thinks she deserves a spanking. Julie-Su gets Knuckles to reason with her again. Knuckles tries to explain that there is no longer a need for the Guardian, including him. Knuckles explains the importance of the Unveiling, then Lara-Su comes out, and promises she will go as long as Knuckles is her first dance.
- This is Mike Pellerito's first issue as assistant editor.
- This issue's cover is based on the cover of Giant-Sized X-Men #1.
- In one panel, Fiona is mistakenly colored as Sally while riding in the Freedom Fighter Special.
- Commander Brass's skin was miscolored as a far lighter shade than usual.
- The "Mobius 25 Years Later" saga began in this issue.