Crouching Hedgehog, Hidden Dragon
- Princess Sally, Knothole Village's first ambassador, is sent on her first mission as an envoy of peace to the rest of Mobius. Sonic and the Freedom Fighters join her on her trek to The Hidden City of the Ancients. Before talks can commence, however, the Ancients ask the FF to help with a small problem they are having: a fire-breathing dragon.
Reunification, Part One
- A mysterious echidna appears on the Floating Island. Rather than finding Knuckles, they find a place inhabited by The Dark Legion. Who is this echidna and what does it have to do with Knuckles?
Crouching Hedgehog Hidden Dragon - Part One
- Writer: Karl Bollers
- Pencils: Ron Lim
- Inks: Pam Eklund and Andrew Pepoy
- Colors: Josh and Aimee Ray
- Letters: Jeff Powell and Julie Liu
- Editor & Art Director: J. F. Gabrie
- Managing Editor: Victor Gorelick
- Editor-in-Chief: Richard Goldwater
The Freedom Fighters travel to Station Square in order to persuade the President to take in the overlander refugees from Robotropolis Sonic, Sally, Rotor, Tails Antoine and Bunnie arrive via the Freedom Fighter Special and are soon greeted by overeager overlanders. The President's secretary escorts the Freedom Fighters to the President's residence, where he explains that he's the one in charge, instead of the Mayor Bullyani. The President introduces them to his Chiefs of Staff and are ready to discuss the issue.
Soon, Sally explains that the refugees have nowhere else to go. The President asks why don't they resettle them in Knothole, but Sally explains that the physical and cultural differences are too great. Sally also says that there are about seventy families that need to be settled. One of the chief of staff asks what they are willing to offer them in return. Sonic yells at them why they can't take them in, but Sally calms him down. Sally uses Nicole to show them all an image of Dr. Eggman. She explains that he was the one responsible for releasing Chaos and later released Shadow in order to sabotage their energy supply. She tells them that if they accept the refugees, their Kingdom of Acorn will turn over all tactical information on him. The President wants to sleep on that idea.
Later, while playing his guitar, Sonic goes over his thoughts of how he was asked by King Max to serve as Sally's bodyguard on the mission. Tails and Rotor come into his room and ask him if he wants to go to the video arcade with them. Sonic agrees, as a Zan is spotted flying outside the window.
The next day, the President and his workers are watching past events which Sonic fought Shadow, Chaos and Silver Sonic 2. The President sees this as an opportunity to make Sonic a valuable agent.
Meanwhile, the dragon from last night appears in Station Square, causing destruction. The secretary recommends that they do something, at which the President thinks that Sonic could do it. Both then witness Sonic on their monitor about to confront the dragon. Sally and Antoine apologize to the President to excuse Sonic's rash behavior, but the President is grateful for the help. Tails, Bunnie and Rotor sent off to try and help Sonic, as he gets hit by the dragon's tail. In the blast of the dragon's fire breath, Sonic takes a risk and jumps into the water, just before Bunnie, Tails and Rotor arrive. The dragon flies away after winning the battle.
The President explains to Sally that if they take in the refugees, they would live in a city under siege by dragons. Sonic enters the room with a towel around him, with Bunnie, Tails, and Rotor and asks if they take care of their dragon problem, will Station Square accept the overlanders. Both the President and Sonic shake hands when the President accepts the deal.
- Chaos (recording)
- Dr. Eggman (portrait)
- Geoffrey St. John (mentioned)
- Knothole Freedom Fighters
- Maximillian Acorn (flashback)
- Shadow the Hedgehog (recording)
- Silver Sonic v2.0 (recording)
- Zan (first appearance)
Races and species:
- The title of this story is a reference to the novel Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
- The Chinese text for the title reads "臥豪猪藏龍", which translates to "Crouching Porcupine, Hidden Dragon". This mistake would be repeated in the next issue.
Reunification - Part One
- Writer, Layouts & Inks: Ken Penders
- Pencils: Dawn Best
- Colors: Josh Ray
- Letters: Vickie Williams
- Editor: J. F. Gabrie
In Echidnaopolis, deserted after the Dark Legion fired the Quantum Beam at the Floating Island, a young echidna teleports into the street wondering if she's "arrived in time." She wanders the streets, looking for someone. Meanwhile, two Dark Legion soldiers scan the area, reporting back to Dimitri that they found no unusual activity within the city. Lien-Da tells Dimitri that Chaos Knuckles has left their base and has been on the Floating Island for hours. Dimitri assumes that Knuckles caused the strange readings on their scanners and wonders what he could be doing. He quickly realizes that Knuckles must be attempting to reverse the effects of the Quantum Beam.
The young echidna continues to search the city when a sudden gust of wind sends her flying. When she gets up, she sees that the echidnas have suddenly returned to the city. Remington approaches her and offers his help, much to the girl's shock. She recognizes him and thinks to herself that he is the echidna that killed Knuckles.
- Dark Legion
- Echidna Security Team
- Hawking (statue)
- Jani-Ca (first appearance)
- Knuckles the Echidna
Races and species:
- Quantum Beam (mentioned)
Gabrie tries to talk to Sonic, but Sonic is only able to vacantly repeat ad blurbs for other Archie Comics products. Gabrie drags Sonic to another Archie employee, complaining about how they have rubbed off on him.
- Archie Andrews (mentioned)
- Betty Cooper (mentioned)
- Ginger Lopez (mentioned)
- Jughead Jones (mentioned)
- Justin Freddy Mendez-Gabrie
- Sabrina Spellman (mentioned)
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Veronica Lodge (mentioned)
Races and species:
- Archie's Weird Mysteries (mentioned)
- Sega Data Files: Full page sections features brief data files compiling the following characters and subjects in the Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog series:
- Station Square: Two page spread featuring a diagram of Station Square, describing its history up to the current issue, and containing several facts and pieces of trivia about the area.