- The fate of Angel Island is revealed in ”Shattered” Part Four: Time is running out for Knuckles and Amy! The vile wizard Walter Naugus has made his big move, which means certain doom for our heroes! And as the Shattered World Crisis comes to an end, Angel Island begins to fall! Can Red and Rose snatch victory at the last second? Featuring cover artwork by the legendary Tracy Yardley and an “and Knuckles” variant by the exceptional Evan Stanley!
Shattered Finale: Restoration
- Writer: Ian Flynn
- Pencils: Adam Bryce Thomas
- Inks: Jim Amash
- Colors: Matt Herms
- Letters: Jack Morelli
- Editor: Vincent Lovallo
- Editor-in-Chief: Victor Gorelick
- President: Mike Pellerito
- Publisher/Co-CEO: Jon Goldwater
- Special thanks to: Sandra Jo, Mai Kiyotaki and to the Character Business and Licensing Department at SEGA Corp.
Walter Naugus laughs gleefully over the totally crystallized Knuckles, Amy and Team Dark. Wanting to gloat about his victory, Walter once again uses the power of the Master Emerald, this time to contact his sister, Wendy, who, much to Walter's shock, horror, and overall disgust, reveals that she has joined the Eggman Empire. Walter, determined not to let this betrayal set him back, ends the transmission and leaves, taking both the Master Emerald and Amy with him.
Just as he does so, Knuckles, still trapped, begins reminiscing on his and Amy's trip to Westside Island, during which Knuckles pessimistically doubts his worthiness as guardian of the Master Emerald (and Angel Island). Amy gives Knuckles a pep talk, reminding him of his unyielding commitment to his job, which is enough to lift the echidna's spirits.
Back in the present, this same pep talk proves enough for Knuckles to muster the strength to break free from confinement. After noting the absence of Walter, the Master Emerald, and Amy, he breaks out Omega, Shadow, and Rouge, the former of which opts to make them a shortcut three hundred feet underground, to where Knuckles has sensed the location of the Master Emerald.
Down below, the evil wizard is essentially considering turning all five of his opposers into a vanguard for his ambitions, up until he notices a hole in the ceiling being blown into being. He tries shielding the Master Emerald from its seekers until Shadow engages him and flatly declares that he has already lost.
After scolding Omega for having nearly obliterated both the Master Emerald and Amy, Knuckles breaks the latter out. She effectively deflects and an energy blast fired by Walter, which, as noted by Rouge, seems to have 'upgraded' her hammer. Amy uses this as an opportunity to attack Walter as payback for kidnapping her before the wizard, out of pure desperation, disguises himself as Sonic in a last ditch effort to stop his enemies, by which Amy is clearly unimpressed. Claiming that Walter does not deserve to be hurt by her, she simply decided to let Knuckles and Shadow beat the imposter up instead.
Omega is confused as to why Walter has not yet immobilized them again, just as he had done earlier. Rouge claims that, despite what innate abilities he may have left, he is no match for the others without the help of the Master Emerald.
Rouge calls Knuckles and Amy over to take away the Master Emerald, while she, Shadow, and Omega take care of Walter. The pair complies, using a nearby Teleporter to transport themselves to the Sky Sanctuary.
After much traversing, and after much battling with the vile Walter Naugus, Amy and Knuckles, at last, return the Master Emerald to its rightful location, raising Angel Island back up to where it belongs, moments before the shattered world below could fully reassemble itself. A worn-out Relic, joined by Fixit, then arrives and Knuckles introduces her to Amy, and vice versa. Amy contacts Rouge via her Miles Electric, notifying her that Angel Island is safe. Rouge in turn lets Amy know that Walter is officially down for the count, and Amy asks for a ride back, preferably without any Teleporters.
Now settled down, Knuckles thanks Amy for all her assistance, and after claiming that even she had her moments of doubt, she embraces him, after which Relic welcomes Knuckles back.
Sometime later, down in Castle Acorn, Amy is enjoying some tea with Sally, King Acorn, Cream, Cheese, and Sonic. Amy lets the king know that Walter is imprisoned, although she and Cream appear downhearted over the fact that they could not bid Chip farewell. Sonic assures them that, as long as Chip is the Light Gaia spirit of the world, he will always remain by Sonic and his friends' side–in spirit!
Sally informs Amy that the caverns will remain under constant watch by the royal guard until they are properly surveyed. King Acorn reveals that Rouge had chosen to keep one of the giant, Master Emerald-looking gems to herself as a souvenir, and also that Knuckles had declined his offer to supply him with guards to aid him with his guardian duties. Sonic assumed that Knuckles would refuse backup, calling him stubborn and hard headed like a rock. Sally notes that Sonic makes too much fun of Knuckles, to which Sonic cheekily replies, "No, I tease," and, with Amy, "There's a difference," followed by the group sharing a good laugh.
Back on Angel Island, it is revealed that Knuckles had also taken at least one of the gems from the mines to supposedly confuse any would-be thieves, opting not to let anyone know the location of the real Master Emerald. After Relic and Fixit depart for the night, Knuckles, glad to have the real, true Master Emerald right next to him, reflects on the final state of Angel Island, and mentally vows to keep all of it safe for as long as he can.
- Chip (Mentioned)
- Eggman Empire (Mentioned)
- Fixit the Robot
- Kingdom of Acorn
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Relic the Pika
- Team Dark
- Walter Naugus
- Wendy Naugus
- Sonic's World
- Inhibitor Rings
- Master Emerald
- Miles Electric
- Piko Piko Hammer
- Teleporter (Only appearance)
- Pink Cabriolet (Flashback) (Only appearance)
Off Panel "Time to Rock and--Oh No!" or "That Rasacally Rose!"
Knuckles, Amy, and Relic are at the Shrine Isle to return the Master Emerald to where it belongs. To Knuckles and Relic's horror, Amy trips and drops the Master Emerald, shattering it again. However, it turns out that Amy had tricked them as it was only a gem from the mine and the real Master Emerald is safe and sound. Though by the time Amy reveals this, she finds Knuckles frothing at the mouth and Relic wiping a bead of sweat off her forehead.
- Knuckles: You almost blasted Amy and the Master Emerald, you hunk of junk!
- Omega: You did not specify an angle for the shot.
- Knuckles: There's no way I could've known that!
- Walter Naugus: Metal Golem! Serve me again!
- Amy: NOPE!
- Relic: I'm glad you had such a productive holiday. Welcome home.
- Knuckles: Thanks, Relic. It's good to be back up here--where I belong.
- The name of the variant cover is a reference to the Sega Mega Drive video game Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: an extended version of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 accessed by attaching the cartridge to a copy of Sonic & Knuckles using the latter's "lock-on" feature.
- The "& Knuckles" part of the variant cover's title is a reference to the same meme used among fans.
- The variant cover is a references to the miniboss battle between Sonic the Hedgehog and Knuckles the Echidna in the Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic & Knuckles.
- Although the Shattered World Crisis ends in both this issue and Sonic the Hedgehog #287, the last four pages of this issue take place afterward. By extension, this issue marks the end of the comics' Sonic Unleashed adaptation.