- Knuckles is about to crack in “Shattered” Part Three: Time is running out for Amy, Knuckles and all of Angel Island! As our heroes fight for their lives, the evil wizard Walter Naugus inches closer to completing the Master Emerald and regaining his full power! Can the gang pull through to stop the wacky warlock? Featuring cover art by Sonic comics veteran, Tracy Yardley and an “& Knuckles” variant by jamming Ryan Jampole!
Shattered Part Three: Lost & Found
- Writer: Ian Flynn
- Pencils: Adam Bryce Thomas
- Inks: Jim Amash
- Colors: Matt Herms
- Letters: Jack Morelli
- Editor: Vincent Lovallo
- Editor-in-Chief: Victor Gorelick
- President: Mike Pellerito
- Publisher/Co-CEO: Jon Goldwater
- Special thanks to: Sandra Jo, Mai Kiyotaki and to the Character Business and Licensing Department at SEGA Corp.
Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, and Rouge are seen battling Crystal Omega in the Hidden Palace Zone, which annoys Knuckles as he did not want to deal with him but Walter Naugus instead. Shadow throws a Chaos Spear at Omega, stunning the robot. Amy's Miles Electric then starts to ring as Sally Acorn tries to reach them. This slightly frustrates Amy as she did not think it was the best time to talk to her.
Omega suddenly gets up again and punches Shadow, surprising the ultimate lifeform as he believed the effects would last longer. While Knuckles and Rouge once again join the fray, Amy gets a status update concerning the Shattered World Crisis. The message is cut short when Omega hurls Shadow towards Amy, who informs Knuckles and Rouge of the info provided to her, increasing the pressure for the fate of Angel Island.
Naugus hears the fighting from inside the chamber and wishes that he kept Knuckles longer so that the process of assembling the Master Emerald would be a bit faster. He then has second thoughts on this, fearing the echidna would have triumphed in retrieving the Master Emerald. Naugus was definitely sick of suffering set-back after set-back.
Naugus recalls the time that Dr. Eggman first tested his Genesis Wave technology, which resulted in the world being split into pocket dimensions. As per usual, Sonic had intervened and returned the world to normal. However, the wave had depleted Naugus of his powers. He tried to gain them back through the use of the emeralds in the Hidden Palace Zone but to no avail. Eventually, Naugus gave up and went to ask for Eggman's help. While under the mad scientist's radar, the troll wizard stole technology from him and had his sister, Wendy Naugus, teach him how to use it. Naugus then assumes the role of King Nigel Acorn using the tech and locks the actual king away. Sally grew suspicious of the king's odd behavior, to which she sent Nicole to Mobotropolis and she eventually found out that it was Naugus all along. Nicole was then forced by the evil wizard to make a power ring in hopes that he regains his powers again. This had almost worked until Eggman sent Tails Doll to attack Mobotropolis and when he got memories of another world which he did not remember.
Naugus then succeeds in assembling the Master Emerald and commences the return of his power. Knuckles falls to his knees in despair as he senses that Naugus has succeeded. However Amy encourages Knuckles to keep going on as Naugus has done half of the work for him, the other half being setting it back in its rightful position. Rouge suggests that Shadow goes all-out on Crystal Omega but Shadow feared of a cave-in, however, he didn't mind doing it if it meant stopping Naugus.
Knuckles spots a small crack in Omega's crystalline armor and all four proceed to smash it until Omega is free of Naugus' command. Omega then proceeds to destroy Naugus' crystalline barricade and all rush in to attack him before he could tap into the Master Emerald's full power. However, they are immediately crystallized by Naugus, who seems to have finally gotten his full powers back.
- Amy Rose
- Badniks Horde
- Dr. Eggman (flashback)
- Dr. Snively (flashback)
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Miles "Tails" Prower (flashback)
- Nicole the Holo-Lynx (flashback)
- Nigel Acorn (flashback)
- Sally Acorn (voice)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (flashback)
- Team Dark
- Walter Naugus
- Wendy Naugus (flashback)
Races and species:
- Prime Zone
- Special Zone (flashback)
- Chaos Emerald (flashback)
- Emerald Shard
- Inhibitor Rings
- Master Emerald
- Miles Electric
- Piko Piko Hammer
- Ring (flashback)
- Star Posts (flashback)
- Chaos Blast (mentioned)
- Chaos Spear
- Genesis Wave (mentioned)
- Screw Kick
- Spin Attack
- Spin Dash
- This issue elaborates on the first Genesis Wave of the post-Super Genesis Wave timeline, which was thought to have been the first Genesis Wave tested back within the original continuity to the comics back in Sonic the Hedgehog #225. No longer do the events of "Sonic: Genesis" occur within the timeline, but rather, the first Genesis Wave ignited the events of Sonic Advance 3.
- The flashback panel of Dr. Eggman pushing the button to initiate the Genesis Wave is even a recreation of a shot from Sonic Advance 3's opening animation.
- This issue reveals the events that led up to Walter Naugus's occupation of Castle Acorn at the beginning of Sonic the Hedgehog #252.
- The technique that Amy and Shadow did together resembles the Croquet Special.
Shadow scolds Knuckles for allowing Naugus to fool him so easily. Knuckles retaliates by saying that Shadow did not know what it felt like being the last of his kind and not being too sure where he came from but eventually meet someone who may have ties to his past. Knuckles then remembers that Shadow had gone through the same thing and suggests that they may both be idiots.
Races and species:
- Walter Naugus: O ancient controller! You that unifies the chaos! Repair my broken essence! Return my magical power!
- Omega: ... You have rescued me. I am obliged to feel grateful.
- Knuckles: ... You're welcome?
- Amy Rose: Any time. You'd do the same for us, right?
- Omega: Negative.
- The name of the variant cover is a reference to the Sega Mega Drive video game Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles: an extended version of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 accessed by attaching the cartridge to a copy of Sonic & Knuckles using the latter's "lock-on technology" feature.
- The "& Knuckles" part of the variant cover's title is a reference to the same meme used among fans.
- The variant cover contains a number references:
- The claw machine that Knuckles is using is the one from the Knuckles' Chaotix video game , which the player character uses to select their parter during the game. Additionally, the sidebar on the cover is styled after the border used on the American boxart of the Sega 32X games, the console which Knuckles' Chaotix was released on.
- The order in which the Chaotix hang onto each other is the same as the one for their Flight formation in the video game Sonic Heroes.
- Espio's exclamation of "Why am I connected to the bee?!" is a reference to the internet animation "Awesome Chaotix" by Egoraptor.
- Ron C. (30 August 2016). Take a first look inside the new Archie Comics on sale 8/31/16, including AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE #10!. Archie Comics. Archived from the original on 4 September 2016.