- Bust out your detective hats and hop on the case in ‘The Great Chaos Caper,’ Part 3. Knuckles and the Chaotix are in the heart of the Aquatic Mines-where their only two options are to get crushed by a cave-in, or to drown! How on earth (and below earth!) can they make it out alive? And once they do, they’ve got to chase down the unlikely Chaos Emerald thief before Nack’s team of Hooligans beat them to it! Add in ravenous Dark Gaia Monsters, and there may be too much for our heroes to handle! Featuring new cover art from Sonic comic guru Tracy Yardley and an awesome SEGA game art variant starring the Chaotix!
The Great Chaos Caper Part Three: Chip off the Ol' Emerald!
- Writer: Ian Flynn
- Pencils: Tracy Yardley
- Inks: Jim Amash
- Letters: Jack Morelli
- Colors: Matt Herms
- Assistant Editor: Vincent Lovallo
- Editor - Executive Director of Editorial: Paul Kaminski
- Editor-in-Chief: Victor Gorelick
- President: Mike Pellerito
- Special thanks to: Anthony Gaccione and the CHARACTER BUSINESS and LICENSING DEPARTMENT of SEGA CORPORATION
Deep in the Aquatic Mine Zone, Knuckles and the Chaotix find their Chaos Emerald, in the hands of a dog like creature, to which Charmy finds it adorable. Knuckles thinks that this is the spirit he is looking for. However, the dog like creature flies off in terror, provoking Vector to go after it. Knuckles tries to stop the Chaotix, but to no avail.
Just when the Chaotix surrounds him, Knuckles stops them and declares the spirit is under his protection. The spirit asks him that they are not going to steal the emerald, and Espio exclaims that they need it to save the world. The spirit jumps with joy, dropping the Chaos Emerald. Knuckles is confused and the spirit tells him that he has 'ambrosia' (which is actually amnesia) he tells that he woke up not far from here and found the Chaos Emerald, and was wandering around with it, thinking that he was supposed to use it, but he does not remember what it is for. Vector asks if they can take the emerald now, but Knuckles tells him to wait. He tells the spirit that he will take him somewhere safe and the spirit accepts.
As the five walk, Knuckles thinks up a name for the spirit, while Charmy asks the spirit about his memory, and the spirit replies that it's in bits and pieces, 'like chocolate chips without a cookie in them'. Charmy then gets an idea, and they decide to call the spirit 'Chip' to which he likes. As the group continues, several Dark Gaia monsters climb up unnoticed. Chip feels happy that he has new friends, has a purpose, and a new name. Knuckles tells him to be careful, since the Aquatic Mine Zone is like a maze. But before he can finish, a hand suddenly grabs Chip. The hand belonged to none other than Bark the Polar Bear, and Knuckles demands him to let Chip go, as the Chaotix get ready again to fight. Nack pulls out his gun and tells them to give the Chaos Emerald, and he will let him go.
Meanwhile back in Mushroom Hill Zone in Angel Island, Relic the Pika and Fixit find a strangely colored root that Fixit detected. Fixit says that the energy readings are low now. Relic notices that the soil has less nutrients. She notes that someone has planted this root and made a 'ghastly garden, which explains the lack of nutrients and the odd flora in the zone. Relic then tells Fixit to gather some samples so they can take a closer look, and they do so. Fixit asks where they will analyze this, and Relic says that none of the systems are working properly, they will analyse it at the Flying Battery Wreckage. As they leave, they are closely watched by Eclipse, who seethes in anger.
Back in the Aquatic Mine Zone, Knuckles and the Chaotix are fighting. Chip breaks free from Barks grip in the process, and distracts Bark, giving Knuckles enough time to punch him. He tells Chip to leave the real fighting to him. Vector is running with the Emerald in his hands, while Bean throws bombs at him. Some of these bombs destroy the pipes, releasing a lot of water. A rumbling sound is also heard. Knuckles snatches the Emerald from Vector, and tells Chip to fly back to Angel Island, where he should meet Relic, and tells him that she's a friend. Chip runs off. Vector yells that they were supposed to give it to the princess, then Bark and Bean lunge at Chip. But Knuckles subdues Bean, Bark tackles Vector, and Nack grabs Charmy. Espio is invisible and Chip keeps running. When the group catches up, they are shocked to see a Dark Gaia Titan blocking the way.
The Titan attacks with it's club, Bean, Bark, and Charmy manage to dodge it. Knuckles tells Chip to find a way out, while he and the Chaotix fight the Titan. But Chip was too distracted, giving the opportunity Nack wanted. Nack seizes the emerald and tries to get Chip off of it, but Chip refuses to budge. Nack tries to shake him off, but it only made him dizzy, while holding the Emerald. Nack decides to take Chip with them, and tells Bean to close every exit except one. While the Chaotix fight the Titan, The Hooligans get on the Marvelous Queen, with Chip and the emerald, to Knuckles's horror. Then the bombs that Bean placed explode, closing the exits. Bean closes the last exit as they escape.
This leaves Knuckles and the Chaotix stuck fighting against the Dark Gaia Titan. Espio rescues Knuckles from the club. Espio says to rescue Chip and the emerald later, right now they have to fight. Knuckles says to do it fast, as the water lever gets higher, he says that they are going to drown!
- Dark Gaia Creatures
- Eclipse the Darkling
- Dr. Eggman (mentioned)
- Fixit the Robot
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Relic the Pika
- Sally Acorn (mentioned)
- The variant cover background has a resemblance to the start menu in Knuckles' Chaotix.
- Charmy references Knuckles' theme song from the Sonic Adventure series, Unknown from M.E.
- In the 'My Sonic Universe' section. a fan asked if Archie was planning to do a comic series on Sonic Boom. The reply was shown but it was covered with a 'Top Secret' logo. Eventually a Sonic Boom Comic adaption was confirmed soon after.