- “Echoes of the Past Part Two”: As Knuckles' friends try to valiantly defend the Master Emerald against a seemingly never-ending horde of robots, Knuckles delves deeper into the mysteries surrounding him... until he finally finds Dr. Finitevus! Knuckles is bent on revenge, but he's not counting on the surprise twist that will delay his quest. You can't afford to miss this exciting, action-packed issue!
Echoes of the Past Part Two
- Writer: Ian Flynn
- Pencils: Tracy Yardley
- Inks: Jim Amash
- Colors: Jason Jensen
- Letters: Teresa Davidson
- Assistant editor: Paul Kaminski
- Editor and Managing Editor: Mike Pellerito
- Editor-in-Chief: Victor Gorelick
- Special thanks to: Cindy Chau and Jerry Chu at SEGA Licensing
Knuckles, Julie-Su, and Mighty are caught in a trap, walls with spikes closing in on them with lasers above them. When Julie-Su states about them being trapped, Knuckles suspects Dr. Finitevus knew that they were coming. Knuckles starts to hit a wall, but realizes that he doesn't have enough time to break it down. Mighty then states that the Albionites "know how to build a sturdy death trap." However, Julie-Su states it to be one of Dr. Finitevus' traps and that she may be able to squeeze through the laser grid before asking which one of them would have rather stayed guarding the Master Emerald with Vector.
Meanwhile, on Shrine Isle, Ray and Vector continue battling the Wing Dingoes, but realize they are against a seemingly never-ending horde of them. Vector then admits he would rather have Espio, despite the fact he's a traitor. while Ray states there are too many and that they should make a run for it. However, Vector argues that they need to protect the Master Emerald before spitting out oil from a Wing Dingo he attacked. As both of them prepare to attack a mass of Wing Dingoes, Ray tries to argue about what Vector said. Vector then states that Ray needs to save his breath and that if they let the Master Emerald go, the continent below would get smashed to pieces and admits that they also have nowhere to run.
Back at the pyramid, Mighty holds back the walls while Knuckles and Julie-Su slide over to the other end of the trap. Knuckles then climbs up the wall (with Julie on top of him) and she climbs out of the pit, but gets her tail singed by one of the lasers in the process. She locates the controls and begins hacking. Knuckles suggests letting the walls close while Mighty protects himself but Mighty argues that Knuckles has self-sacrificed enough. Meanwhile, Julie-Su is not having much luck with the controls, much to her frustration. In a rage, she pulls out her gun and shoots the controls, disabling the trap. Knuckles and Mighty pull themselves out the trap and walk into Finitevus' lab, noticing things to be in disarray. Knuckles surmises that the Dingoes probably got to this place first. Julie-Su says that they probably didn't get into the computer data. Knuckles jokes that she probably shouldn't buster-hack this one, of which Julie's response was "You hush." Mighty then informs Knuckles and Julie-Su that he has found an active Warp Ring.
Back on Shrine Isle, Ray states that there is only one thing left to do now, use the Master Emerald to transform into "Super Ray." Scared for their lives, the Winged Dingoes flee. Vector asks Ray since when he could go super. Ray says he can't but the Dingoes didn't know that. He then asks Vector if he knew it to which his response is "Of course!" though he doesn't really know how Ray did it. Knuckles told Ray that the Master Emerald reacts with everyone, some more than others. Vector admits he is impressed and Ray claims that a good detective can turn any information to his advantage.
Meanwhile in the lab, the group ponders where Finitevus could be and decide to enter the Warp Ring. However, they end up at the ruins again, much to their frustration. But Julie-Su points out that they aren't on Angel Island anymore as evidenced to it being right above them. Suddenly, Dr. Finitevus shows up and runs off after a brief confrontation with all three in hot pursuit. Finitevus uses his Warp Rings to fend off Julie-Su and Mighty while justifying his actions. Knuckles then brutally attacks Finitevus, managing to get him cornered, but is suddenly distracted by a noise...
Up on Shrine Isle, Ray asks if Vector has seen the Winged Dingoes before to which he says that he only heard of them and that they sound like the robots Crocbot used. Ray then states that Sonic beat him for good, but Vector counters that it did not mean Eggman's control of Downunda was gone though and that they are now hovering over it making it much too much of a coincidence. Vector then asks Ray for his Warp Ring and says while he doesn't want to leave the Master Emerald alone, they need to find Knuckles and tell him what's up. They then hear a noise and the island suddenly begins to tilt, sending Ray over the edge. Ray easily flies to keep himself up but notices several chains attached to the edge of the island from cannons around the Great Crater.
Below, Finitevus proposes to Knuckles that instead of killing him, they should work together to save Angel Island.
- Badnik Horde
- Crocbot (mentioned)
- Dr. Eggman (mentioned)
- Dr. Finitevus
- Locke (mentioned)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (mentioned)
- Wing Dingo
Races and species:
- Prime Zone
- A fan pointed out on Ian Flynn's blog that Angel Island being chained to the surface of Mobius is reminiscent of the Little Planet from the video game, Sonic the Hedgehog CD. When asked about this, Ian confirmed that this homage was completely accidental.
- Julie-Su's eyes are miscolored in several instances of this story.
- Ray's pretend "Super Ray" transformation would later go on to become a reality in Sonic Mania Plus.
- Julie-Su: Denied?!? Maybe if I use...no! No, no, no! BLAST YOU!
- Knuckles: Now let's... Since when does that count as "hacking"?
- Julie-Su: I took a page from your book of tactics this time.
- Knuckles: Just don't blaster-hack this one.
- Julie-Su: You hush. I saved your life.
- Ray: Now you face SUPER RAY!
- Julie-Su's eyes and boots are miscolored on the cover as blue and golden yellow, respectively.