Zone Wars: Prelude
- Writer: Dan Slott
- Pencils: James Fry
- Inks: Bob Wiacek
- Letters: Jeff Powell
- Colors & Interior Separations: Josh D. Ray
- Editor: J. F. Gabrie
- Managing editor: Victor Gorelick
- Editor-in-chief: Richard Goldwater
Zonic the Zone Cop is informed that Ivanna Robotina has transported to Mobius and is fighting Sonic. Sonic is saved by Sally Moon and Chibi Rose. Robotina attacks Sally Moon and Chibi Rose, but they are saved by Tuxedo Knux. Sonic is shocked that Sally Moon and Tuxedo Knux are together. Zonic arrives and teleports everyone back to their own zones. Sonic wants questions about the other zones, but Zonic states to Sonic that he never teleported himself to the other zones and Zonic did it. The Ultimate Annihilator has weakened the barrier meaning that others can teleport to different zones. Zonic expects Sonic to help him with future adventures, as he is Sonic Prime. As Zonic disappears Sonic yells "Why didn't he get the girl!"
Running on Empty
- Writer & Co-Plotter: Roger Brown
- Pencils & Co-Plotter: Nelson Ribeiro
- Inks: Jim Amash
- Colors: Frank Gagliardo
- Letters: Vickie Williams
In the story, Sonic is tricked by Snively into thinking Sally's in danger and is zapped by a machine. Sonic helps Rosie and heads back to Knothole where Sally, Rotor and Tails are waiting for him, but Sonic can't control his speed. Rotor examines him on a treadmill, but the treadmill overloads due to Sonic's sudden burst of speed. Rotor tells the Freedom Fighters that Sonic has been hit with a ray that has super accelerated his metabolism which has given him extreme speed, but has sped up his aging process. Sonic enters the room as an old hedgehog and Sally, Rotor, Tails and himself travel to Robotropolis in an attempt to reverse the ray. Rotor works hard trying to rewire the circuits, but Dr. Robotnik finds them and surrounds Sally, Rotor and Tails with his SWATbot. Sonic uses all of the strength he has left to blast through the SWATbots and pile them on Dr. Robotnik. Sonic exhausted, almost dying from his age, Sally begs Snively to hit him with the ray to stop him from suffering. Snively thinking the ray will kill Sonic fires, but Sonic is returned to normal and he and his friends leave back to Knothole.
Den of Thieves
Monkey Khan has traveled to the Dragon Kingdom and has saved two locals from the Yagyu Clan. The locals tell him that the Clan has stolen their village's possessions and taken them back to their headquarters. Overconfident, Monkey Khan doesn't believe their tales of the dragon and the Clan's headquarters and journey's there with them. Lord Yagyu sends them into a trap, in which they find the stolen goods in treasure chests and the dragon. Monkey Khan quickly realizing that the dragon's a robot destroys the Clan's control over it and it attacks them. Monkey Khan and the locals takes the goods back to the village and hope that Monkey Khan sticks around.
- Writer, Pencils & Inks: Jay Oliveras
- Based on the animated episode by: Pat Lee
- Colors: Frank Gagliardo
- Letters: Vickie Williams
Tails recounts the strange story of his camping trip with Sonic and Antoine. Sonic was teaching Tails about tracking when Antoine slipped down a ditch into a pool of water. Sonic explained that Antoine was supposed to hide for their tracking exercise and asked why he gave himself away. Antoine claimed to have seen a ghost, but Sonic and Tails believed that ghosts didn't exist.
That night, the group set up a campfire and Sonic told Tails a story about a highwayman who stole a medallion from a sorcerer. Sonic told him that highwayman was cursed and roams the Great Forest as the Headless Gopher. Antoine, trying to sleep, was spooked by the story. Tails eventually drifted to sleep as well and had a terrible nightmare. He began to stir from his slumber when he noticed a glowing figure from the corner of his eye and began screaming.
Tails explained to Sonic that he thought he saw the Headless Gopher, but Sonic assured his friend that it was just a story. They notice that Antoine is missing and head out to look for him. Tails was certain that the Headless Gopher has captured Antoine. Eventually, Tails saw Sonic talking to a glowing figure and convinced himself that it was a ghost that had brainwashed Sonic.
Tails tried to flee, but ended up bumping into the ghost. Sonic revealed to Tails that their ghost was actually Antoine: he had been sleepwalking and wandered into some "Foxfire Bushes". He then picked up some of the leaves himself and showed Tails that they give people a fiery glow. The group headed back to sleep and awoke the next morning, ready to finish their camping trip. Tails told Sonic he was ready for more ghost stories now that he was certain ghosts didn't exist. Just then, the group spotted the golden medallion nearby and fled the forest as the spirit of the Headless Gopher laughed at them.
Sonic and Tails go to a comic book convention with Tails thinking that Sonic wanted to come here to show his appreciation for the people reading his comics. Instead, Sonic reveals that he only came to receive a free beany bag baby.
- This is the first issue to introduce Zonic the Zone cop and the Luna Zone.
- Sally Moon, Chibi Rose, Tuxedo Knux and Ivanna Robotina are based on the TV anime show Sailor Moon.
- The fourth story, "Ghost Busted", is based on the Sonic the Hedgehog TV series episode, also titled "Ghost Busted".
- The Yagyu Clan featured in "Den of Thieves" would return as part of the Iron Dominion in Sonic the Hedgehog #200. The Yagyu Lord seen in this issue does not return, but other Lords are seen in Sonic Universe #14 and Sonic the Hedgehog #211.
- Zonic stares at a device that looks like the Dragon Radar from Dragon Ball when explaining Sonic's past Zone hopping adventures.
- The Matrix of Leadership from Transformers makes an appearance on page 6 of "Running on Empty".
- Pat Allee is credited as "Pat Alee" in this issue's table of contents.
- Jim Amash was credited in place of Pam Eklund for "Running on Empty" and "Den of Thieves". This mistake was corrected in Sonic Super Special #9's Sonic-Grams Special.