- The most anticipated crossover event of 2013 rolls on with "When Worlds Collide" Part Ten of Twelve! We enter the final assault as Sonic, Tails, Mega Man and Rush storm the Wily Egg to end the dastardly duo of doctors' plans! Speaking of "duos," what's that entering Earth's atmosphere? Can it help Sonic and Mega Man fend off the Mega Man Killers? How about a Chaos Devil? Featuring more new cover art from the legendary Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante and a special look at the cover process with a super special “pencil, ink, color” sketch variant!
When Worlds Collide Part Ten: No Holds Barred
- Writer: Ian Flynn
- Pencils: Ben Bates
- Inks: Gary Martin
- Colors: Steve Downer
- Letters: John Workman
- Assistant Editor: Vincent Lovallo
- Editor/Executive Director of Editorial: Paul Kaminski
- Editor-in-chief: Victor Gorelick
- President: Mike Pellerito
- Special Thanks to: Anthony Gaccione and Cindy Chau and to the Character Business and Licensing Department of SEGA Corporation
- Special Thanks to: Brian Oliveira at Capcom Media and Consumer Products and to 栄実
The issue opens with Dr. Light plummeting to his doom. Mega Man quickly sends a communication begging anyone for help as he probably won't be able to reach him in time. Sonic tries to head into action, but his position combined with the fact that Light is about to fall directly into the crater limit his movements severely. Thomas looks at his son flying towards him, closes his eyes, says that he's sorry, and prepares to face the inevitable. However, his final descent is cut short when Shadow uses Chaos Control to teleport in and grab him, bringing him to safety.
Shadow tells him to stay down while Omega provides cover as Proto Man lets Rock know that he's okay. Thomas asks to speak to Rock directly and Blues gives him his helmet so he can. He tells Rock to do everything in his power to take out the Wily Egg and stop the Doctors' evil machinations. Rock heeds his father's wishes and tells him to stay safe as he and Rush join Sonic and Tails at the teleporter pad. Tails quickly cracks the code with his Miles Electric and they transport into the Wily Egg. Rouge meets back up with Dr. Light who is glad to see that she's safe. She informs him of their overwhelming situation while fighting Gemini Man with Blues. Thomas uses some leftover scrap to create a makeshift buster and joins the battle, saying that reinforcements should be arriving any moment. Speaking of, Duo steps into the portal prepared for him by Roll and Auto at Light Labs and makes his journey into the Skull Egg Zone.
Back onboard the Wily Egg, Dr. Eggman asks Dr. Wily how the battle's going, but needless to say, Albert is not happy about what he tried to do to Thomas. Eggman says that he had to be dealt with as he knew too much and was going to contact Mega Man, but Wily says that he wants Light embarrassed, humbled, and defeated, not dead. Bass quickly informs the fueding Docs of their oncoming intruders and they dispatch the Mega Man Killers as well as Bass and Metal themselves to keep them occupied while they get their final weapon online. The two head off to prepare their Egg-Wily Machine X while glaring at one another and thinking about how the other's time in their little plan is up.
Back to the Blue Crew, they make it through the various obstacles littering the base while arguing over which hero's archnemesis had a bigger hand in the fortress design. They soon run into the Mega Man Killers who immediately attack them. Sonic and Punk have a battle of spiked balls while Tails and Rush take on Enker and Rock clashes with Ballade. Rock reminds Ballade of the sacrifice that he made for him in Mega Man IV, but the Mega Man Killer has no idea what he's talking about, leading Rock to realize that he must have been taken from a time before they fought. Sonic herds Punk into Enker, demolishing him and then he and Tails head for Ballade in Spin Jump form. While Sonic is able to knock him off-kilter, one of his Ballade Crackers suddenly shoots out and gets a direct hit on Tails' ball form. Sonic runs to his buddy's side while Rock finishes off Ballade. The two lay Tails on Rush's jet form and Mega Man tells Sonic that his canine pal will take him back to the others for medical help. Sonic takes Tails' hand and the two remember back to a similar situation back in the Launch Base Zone and how they were able to overcome it despite how bad it looked. Sonic tells his foxy friend to rest up and that they've got this handled when Rush departs.
The two true blue heroes rush through the base when they're intercepted by the Chaos Devil. Noticing the resemblance to each of their familiar monstrous foes, they try to take it out using the usual Devil weakness, but the Chaos fluid protects it. They then decide to double team it with a Spin Dash/charged shot combo, but it just results in Sonic getting trapped in the thing and Mega Man getting pinned down. However, unbeknownst to them, Duo has made his way to the battlefield where Thomas quickly points him in the Wily Egg's direction, causing the bot of justice to burst through the bottom of the fortress, shattering several floors (Including one that features a cameo of Big and Quint playing cards) and eventually emerging as a shining force blasting through the Chaos Devil and freeing Sonic. Rock introduces him to Sonic and he restores their energy for them. He then tells them that the Skull Egg Zone is like a parasite leeching off of both of their dimensions that must be stopped as soon as possible before it gets out of control. As the Chaos Devil reforms, he tells them to go and confronts the beast himself, sensing a conflict between both an evil and a noble creature deep inside of it.
Sonic and Mega Man rush through the Wily Egg as quickly as they can while their friends deal with the Robot Masters outside (Including a humorous confrontation between Rouge and Jewel Man) and Amy tends to the frazzled Tails. On the way, they chat about Rock's friend from space (Including Sonic bringing up the Wisps before coming upon an Eggman/Wily hybrid boss door. They pass through and are immediately attacked by Bass and Metal Sonic.
In another entry from the Eggman and Wily Failed Concepts files, the doctors unveil another Roboticized Master: Big Man. They then command him to go forth and "do what [he] do[es] best." Obediently, he goes fishing, and catches Jaws.
- Some of the Wily Egg's defenses include the electrical hazards and beam bridges from the Death Egg Zone and the spikes and Appearing-Disappearing blocks from the Mega Man series.
- After Tails is injured fighting the Mega Man Killers, he makes a reference to Launch Base Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog 3. According to Ian Flynn on his podcast series, the Bumblekast, Tails' line is a reference to an infamous glitch found in both Sonic 3 and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles where after defeating Eggman's Ball Shooter boss, if not being controlled by the 2nd player, Tails will phase through the Egg Mobile Sonic hijacks and die, never to return till the player finishes the zone.
- When Sonic refers to the events of the game Sonic Adventure, the footnote directs the reader to Sonic Super Special Magazine #2, which reprinted selections from the comic's in-universe (pre-Super Genesis Wave timeline) adaptation, which could not possibly be canon to the reset post-"Worlds Collide" version of Sonic's World. This is changed to direct the reader to the actual Sonic Adventure game in subsequent reprintings.
- When Sonic and Mega Man are fighting the Chaos Devil, Sonic says that is hard to repeat turning Super and getting help from a "ghost-girl" just to beat Perfect Chaos (an allusion to Sonic Adventure, when he turns Super Sonic and with the help of Tikal, he defeats Perfect Chaos).
- Sonic alludes Sonic Colors when wondering commenting on how he would enjoy seeing what Mega Man could do with a Wisp.